• Road trip for a little something "Special"

• General Discussions about the 300M
2020 Calendar Banner

Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#381298  by Sneke_Eyez
 November 15th, 2019, 4:16 pm
Tonight Scott (IS300M) and I are driving from MA to PA to pick up the cleanest 04 Special I have seen in many years:

The owner is a former Club member from years ago and has been helpful in providing me pictures of everything I wanted to see.

The previous 2 owners have not driven the car in the winter and it shows.

It isn't perfect (and boy do I dislike the spoiler and pinstripe), but it is pretty nice and the most important thing is that it is super rust free underneath and in the rear quarters.

The underside shot is one of the nicest I have seen - just look at those brake lines!

It appears to be optioned just how my 04 Special was optioned originally:
Brilliant Black Metallic Paint
Dark Slate/Light Taupe Interior
Every available option - 18s w/ bigger swaybars, Moonroof, Rb1, and Sirius.
It has 110,00 miles.

My own Special is a nice car and in very good shape, but has more miles and a bit of manageable rust which I was preparing to pay to have fixed in the spring.

This Special is immaculate, so rust isn't a concern.

I'm feeling a little bittersweet about the whole thing as I've finally resolved all of my Special's issues (other than the rust) and was looking forward to just enjoying it for the next few years, but I think when you find the right car you need to jump on it, so that is what I am doing!

Pending everything looking just as good in person, I will have photos once I pick the car up!
beespecial, monte4 liked this
 #381300  by RobNJ
 November 17th, 2019, 9:00 am
Very nice and clean ride. Similar to my 02, but mine has different spoiler with 2 mounting points. You plan on driving regularly? If so looks like a perfect candidate for a fluidfilm application. Saved my car, as it was just as clean as yours when I picked up.
 #381302  by EasyRider300M
 November 17th, 2019, 1:51 pm
Nice find, Ryan...just curious..what was the club member's name used on the forums?
 #381308  by LUNAT1C
 November 18th, 2019, 2:16 pm
I second shooting it with Fluidfilm. I would do that on my Special if I drove it in winter. I treat my Jeep every November (just did it yesterday) and so far rust has been minimal on a vehicle that is notorious for rusting. The only bad rust I have is my aftermarket disconnecting sway bar links and aftermarket rock rails... crappy aftermarket coatings on them.
 #381310  by Sneke_Eyez
 November 18th, 2019, 3:21 pm
Picked the car up Saturday morning, successful process.

Car is not perfect, but it is nice and was worth what I paid for it I believe.

Bonus with the car is that it appears to have a lifetime Sirius subscription!

Now to strip the items off of my old Special that I want for my new Special and sell my old Special.
RobNJ wrote: November 17th, 2019, 9:00 am Very nice and clean ride. Similar to my 02, but mine has different spoiler with 2 mounting points. You plan on driving regularly? If so looks like a perfect candidate for a fluidfilm application. Saved my car, as it was just as clean as yours when I picked up.
LUNAT1C wrote:I second shooting it with Fluidfilm. I would do that on my Special if I drove it in winter. I treat my Jeep every November (just did it yesterday) and so far rust has been minimal on a vehicle that is notorious for rusting. The only bad rust I have is my aftermarket disconnecting sway bar links and aftermarket rock rails... crappy aftermarket coatings on them.
Thanks guys, that is the plan.
I do not drive much during the winter, but will drive the car in the winter, so I will be having the car oil undercoated at a local shop.
I am planning to do my Ram as well, actually.

Gotta keep my vehicles from rusting out around me.
EasyRider300M wrote:Nice find, Ryan...just curious..what was the club member's name used on the forums?
Based on knowing that the previous owner attended Carlisle 2005 with the Club, I believe it was "cemyingling" but that name does not come up in a member database search so I'm not too sure.

The previous owner and his wife owned a 2001 300M and a 2004 Special from new, then sold them due to her changing need to drive in the winter. He then bought this 04 Special himself three years ago because it was so nice and he wanted a nice DD.
 #381313  by In-trepid
 November 18th, 2019, 9:13 pm
I believe that most of the 04 models with Sirrus are lifetime. My 04 is the same way. I know that it was standard on the platinum models.
 #381316  by Sneke_Eyez
 November 19th, 2019, 1:18 pm
In-trepid wrote: November 18th, 2019, 9:13 pm I believe that most of the 04 models with Sirrus are lifetime. My 04 is the same way. I know that it was standard on the platinum models.
Interesting. I did not know that.

So the lifetime Sirius was standard on the Platinum models? Even more interesting.

My current 04 was originally equipped with Sirius, but it had been removed by the owner who I bought it from.
 #381319  by In-trepid
 November 20th, 2019, 2:06 pm
I believe that I seen this information in a brochure. I don't remember where I saw this though.
 #381325  by Sneke_Eyez
 November 21st, 2019, 12:36 pm
In-trepid wrote: November 20th, 2019, 2:06 pm I believe that I seen this information in a brochure. I don't remember where I saw this though.
Interesting!

I have an 04 brochure somewhere - I will have to take a look at it to see what it says.
Who knows if it even mentions the Platinum.
 #381503  by Sneke_Eyez
 December 9th, 2019, 12:51 pm
Well the last few weekends have been filled with parts swapping between the Specials in the changing (increasingly bitter cold and snowy) weather here in MA.

Three weeks ago it was front and rear bumpers, hoods, and trunk lids.
Two weeks ago it was rocker arms, intakes, and the back seats, rear shelf assemblies, and rear speakers.
This past weekend it was front suspension - struts and control arms/strut rods, and wheels and tires (I put the snows on the new Special and took the 20s off for the winter).
The new Special got new swaybar endlinks in the process - the old ones were completely shot.
The old Special will get aligned this week and will get one new tire mounted.

All of this has been a lot of work, but I am quite grateful to my buddy (whom many know from Carlisle) Jimmy and my roommate Scott (IS300M) for their help.

This coming weekend will be front seats, door panels, lower dash trim and glovebox, remaining speakers, Rb1s and DVD Changer, UConnect, visors, and possibly amplifiers. Oh, and rear window spoiler from old to new.
I will also peel/dissolve the plastidip off the side skirts of the old Special so it will have uniform grey cladding again.

Then it will be time to give my old Special a thorough washing and list it for sale.
If anyone is in the market for a good DD Special with good front and rear suspension, all new brake lines, calipers, hoses, and a master cylinder, and a good clean interior, let me know. It will be cheap as I don't have the space anymore and it has a little rust.

I am hoping to be able to get the old car listed by the end of day on Saturday, 12/21.