Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Big 3 upgrade

• General Discussions about the 300M
Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#382022  by dcsally97
 January 22nd, 2020, 6:04 pm
Does anyone have access to bring the photos back for the Big 3 upgrade? I would like to do this on my car. I have seen a couple of different ways of doing it in the KB. Just want to see which would work best for me.
 #382027  by FIREM
 January 22nd, 2020, 9:18 pm
I should be able to fix this, will work on it.
dcsally97 liked this
 #382032  by FIREM
 January 23rd, 2020, 8:14 am
Sorry Doug, searched our image library and came up with nothing. Not all of the photpbucket images we restored got saved to our Fotki storage. This is another reason we ask members to use to their Club provided Fotki account to document projects.
When we did the upgrade to Keith's car : viewtopic.php?f=93&t=32703 the biggest benefit was the addition of a parallel wire from the alternator to the jump post.
 #382033  by dcsally97
 January 23rd, 2020, 9:20 am
Thanks for trying. I read about the El Cheapo. It's probably the way I will go.
 #382038  by LUNAT1C
 January 23rd, 2020, 11:36 am
I don't have any images from when I did the upgrade, but I do have some notes.

1. For most cars, this is the "Big 3" because it either supplements or supplants three wires. For us, it's more like the "Big 5" for full benefit. Battery ground to jump post, jump post to body ground, body ground to engine ground, battery pos to jump post, jump post to alternator.
2. My jump post to alternator is run in front of the radiator assembly, along the bumper support.
3. Oxygen-free copper cabling ONLY. OFC!.Not Copper-coated-aluminum (CCA). I tried to save a few bucks by recycling the 4-gauge CCA cable I used on my Grand Prix to take power from the battery to the amplifiers, cutting it up for the "Big 5" on my M since I was using 1/0 gauge welding wire for power to my amps. After a couple of years, one of the cables got water into it and it corroded. I found the sleeving was bubbling and burning and ripped it all out just in time. Got some OFC blue and black power cable from KnuKonceptz along with new terminal hardware and haven't had an issue since.