Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • What did you do to your car today?

• General Discussions about the 300M
Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#382044  by Haggis
 January 23rd, 2020, 10:46 pm
Got it off Amazon, BBB industries 11048. It’s a reman. Roughly $240. Expensive, but I have a lot of electronics running (amps, front and rear cameras) and didn’t want to replace it only do do it again.
 #382075  by Sneke_Eyez
 January 27th, 2020, 9:18 am
It has been too long since I've had a chance to give an update here, but I have done several things in the last two weekends:

Last weekend, Scott and I swapped the front seats, flasher module and steering wheel between the new Special and the old one.
Then I cleaned the old Special up, removed the last of the dip on the cladding, and sent photos to my friend who wants to buy it - my friend who bought Ashley's Pro Am.
He is excited and agreed to buy the car in three weeks. The Pro Am and the Special will be back under one roof.

Then, just after we'd agreed to the deal, the BCM went on the fritz in the old Special - the lock buttons, window switches, and moonroof switch made the high beams flash.

I initially was extremely upset about this with the prospect of changing mileage, but then I located a BCM in a yard in Rhode Island with almost the exact same mileage as my car (only 10 miles over!).

During the week, I sold my mother-in-law's 2010 Fusion Hybrid for her. Quick and efficient sale - just what I needed to get one more spot in the driveway.

This weekend I pulled that BCM from that yard, swapped it into the old Special, and all the problems are gone.

The Ram needs an EGR valve, so that is the next project on the horizon.
Oh, and I actually need to start putting the new Special back together, as it is currently sans lower dash pieces, radio, and dash trim.
I have a new dash pad for it and am considering swapping that in before I put the rest of it back together.
Depends on the weather and my availability the next couple of weekends.
 #382102  by Sneke_Eyez
 January 29th, 2020, 9:40 am
Picked up some new 20'' snow tires for the Ram last night.

Now I need to find some new 20'' rims to run in the winter.
 #382149  by sparky99
 February 2nd, 2020, 7:54 pm
saturday, I turned the old green car rotors on our lathe at work.

Today, I learned that I totally screwed them up trying to save them.

I installed them and a new set of Ceramic brake pads, upon test drive I immediately got angry when they feel worse than the old warped rotors.
So, I will be replacing them again. Oh, well. I will try to pick up something decent.
 #382153  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 3rd, 2020, 3:14 pm
Sunday I cleaned the trunk of the old Special out in preparation for sale to my friend Jorge, known on these forums as Spades32.
We are arranging for him to purchase the car this coming weekend.

This week I will give the old Special one final vacuum, program the tire pressure sensors on the new wheels, and probably wash it one last time and then it is off to Jorge to enjoy as his own.

Then I plan to do a fair amount of work to the new Special quickly before it becomes my (somewhat) daily driver:
Reassemble the dash (lower panels and Rb1/DVD Changer install).
Install the adapter and low profile Sirius Antenna.
Oil change.
New idler pulley.
New tensioner pulley.
New belts.
New rear lateral links.
New painted gas tank straps.
New rear sway bar endlinks.
New rear brake pads and rotors.
New front sway bar bushings.
New NGK Spark Plugs.
Upstream NTK O2 sensors.
New PCV valve.
V4 Plenum spacer.
Rear cam seals.
Front MTV valve seal.

Then possible items to be replaced depending on their condition:
Inner tie rod bushings.
Harmonic balancer.

If I had the time I would install my crack free dash pad, but I'm not sure I do have the time/want to make the time.

No particular rush to do these jobs, but most will be done sometime in the next several weeks as long as the weather holds out here in MA.
 #382154  by In-trepid
 February 3rd, 2020, 3:22 pm
It looks a lot like my to do list for my Special.
 #382157  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 3rd, 2020, 4:19 pm
I think it is kind of the to-do for any well-kept, but now old, LH car, right?

This car has been maintained, but appears to have the originals of many of these items and I would rather do them now than have to do them later, especially in light of having the parts in hand.
 #382185  by LUNAT1C
 February 4th, 2020, 6:29 pm
Quite a list when taken in all at once. but if I think about it, the only maintenance items on that list that I haven't done are the rear sway bar links and rear lateral links, and inner tie rod bushings and harmonic balancer. So, not too outlandish.
 #382189  by sparky99
 February 4th, 2020, 9:08 pm
Well, yesterday I swung by the auto parts store and grabbed a set of PHP 300m rotors for the Intrepid. I had to pay more than I wanted to but I got the only set in town. I had to use NAPA but whatever. I installed them and test drove the car and it was bliss. Very smooth stopping.

I would like to tackle rear pads/rotors before Carlisle.
 #382199  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 5th, 2020, 2:46 pm
Changed the spark plugs in the new Special this morning.
Was done with the job before 8AM.

My wife has to be up super early on Wednesdays, but I had a nearby work meeting at 8:30 (a rarity for me), so I was up early and decided to get something done.

I'm glad I changed them, they were definitely the originals (with 111k and 16 years on them).
dcsally97 liked this
 #382268  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 10th, 2020, 6:26 pm
Sold my original 2004 Chrysler 300M Special yesterday.

Purchased in August, 2013 with 86,--- miles on it and sold with 151,5--.
Purchased for $3,000. Sold for $1,800.
I did a fair amount of maintenance to it in the interim, but it always treated me fair.
The only time I truly disliked it is when it won third place at Carlisle in 2019 and then overheated before it could make the winner's parade.
That turned out to be a bad aftermarket fan assembly.

Before it left I completed a front brake job with Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic brake pads and Wagner Coated Rotors.

These were a massive improvement over the Advance Auto Carquest rotors, which warped almost immediately after I put them on the car.
The pads I put on in 2018 were lower in material than I expected, but whatever.

I also got to drive the car for two weekdays last week, which is rare for me as I usually take the train to work.
This gave me a chance to kind of give the car the proper sendoff and enjoy it on a couple of morning drives before it left my care.

I also took several photos of the car on the last night I had it in my downtown parking garage.

On Sunday morning I washed my original Special and took some photos of it with my new 2004 Special:

Then I sold it to my friend Jorge, Spades32, who also bought Ashley's Pro Am from me:

(Yes, it is there, way at the end of the street.)

He has big plans for the car and I can't wait to see what happens with it.

Now it is on to the new 04 Special!
 #382328  by piperdog
 February 17th, 2020, 9:54 pm
Yesterday I felt a "lurch" as I was driving that felt like a very hard and erratic shift change. When I could do a "key dance" and code reader review it turned out to be a DTC P0016 - cam and crank sensor mistiming. There was also a "one trip failure" P0340 which is a cam position sensor warning. However, the car ran fine afterwards. I erased the codes and no warnings have come back. It appears that the cam sensor may have dropped out of service for a brief moment. Whatever the issue, it has only happened once so far. I'll keep driving and hope it is a sole occurrence.
 #382331  by beespecial
 February 18th, 2020, 8:04 am
piperdog wrote: February 17th, 2020, 9:54 pm Yesterday I felt a "lurch" as I was driving that felt like a very hard and erratic shift change. When I could do a "key dance" and code reader review it turned out to be a DTC P0016 - cam and crank sensor mistiming. There was also a "one trip failure" P0340 which is a cam position sensor warning. However, the car ran fine afterwards. I erased the codes and no warnings have come back. It appears that the cam sensor may have dropped out of service for a brief moment. Whatever the issue, it has only happened once so far. I'll keep driving and hope it is a sole occurrence.
Order an OEM cam sensor and keep it on hand. That sensor is on it's way out. The first time I experienced a cam sensor failure, I had the exact same symptoms with my car. Within a week it started a violent bucking to the point that I had to drive the 2 miles home under 20 mph to keep it from doing that.
 #382336  by M-Pressive
 February 18th, 2020, 12:31 pm
Daily got an oil change and a new trunk mechanism.

Made our to-do lists for all four cars as well. Lots of work to do!
 #382342  by Alex Funkhouser
 February 18th, 2020, 2:45 pm
Over the weekend: changed oil, and finally replaced my mirrors with Remi's modded version. So excited with the new look!ImageImageImage

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk