Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • upper intake plenum question

  • General Discussions about the 300M
Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
 #382280  by sparky99
 February 11th, 2020, 8:15 pm
So, my Intrepid has a non-H.O. 3.5L

I have an extra intake I was working on for the green car.

Obviously, there is a difference with the EGR holes, but if i made plugs for it, could I just pull the intake runner setup and run it open without them and plug the Manifold tuning valve with the plug from my current intake? Would this work and benefit me in any way? Or am I better off pulling another NON-H.O. plenum to sand down and paint?
User avatar
 #382282  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 12th, 2020, 8:23 am
You can convert the plenum as you described. Really the biggest thing you'll need to do is plug the EGR holes.

If it were me, though, I'd be scouring the yards for a PCM, plenum, and wiring assembly from an HO motor.
The conversion is not hard to do and is how I converted my Intrepid to Special spec.

As a matter of fact, I saw an 04 SXT in one of my local yards this past weekend.
I would have pulled everything for you.
User avatar
 #382283  by In-trepid
 February 12th, 2020, 9:04 am
There is a little more to it than that. You have to have the right PCM from a 3.5 HO that doesn't have the SKIM feature enabled if your car doesn't have the security system. Im assuming that since it started life as a black key system which all SE models did, that you don't have a SKIM.
User avatar
 #382286  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 12th, 2020, 11:59 am
In-trepid wrote: February 12th, 2020, 9:04 am There is a little more to it than that. You have to have the right PCM from a 3.5 HO that doesn't have the SKIM feature enabled if your car doesn't have the security system. Im assuming that since it started life as a black key system which all SE models did, that you don't have a SKIM.
SKIM key compatibility is just something that comes up automatically in my mind.
User avatar
 #382294  by LUNAT1C
 February 13th, 2020, 10:12 am
I would either strongly consider making the HO conversion, or sourcing a non-HO non-EGR plenum.

Shouldn't be too hard to find. I would go scour my yards to help source the parts either way, but if I go to the yards before we move, it will be assumed that I'm acquiring more "things" when I should tossing them, and that won't end well... already had that question come up when several visors were found in my Jeep that I was transporting to the dump :lol:
User avatar
 #382300  by 02SilverSpecial
 February 13th, 2020, 10:52 pm
Does your Intrepid have SKIM? If yes you need to get the pin from your pcm and program it into the pcm. This is done with a DRB or professional tool that has the ability to get into the pcm and Change the pin to yours. This way you don’t have to worry about swapping keys etc. if your intrepid doesn’t have SKIM then all you need is an SXT pcm to do the swap
User avatar
 #382314  by sparky99
 February 16th, 2020, 8:31 pm
My Intrepid is an SE. It does not have a Skim key...
User avatar
 #382317  by sparky99
 February 16th, 2020, 8:52 pm
I don't have a problem getting another intake plenum. That is not the main issue. I was just wondering if i could use the older intake. Looks like i'll toss the other one. I highly doubt anyone will want that one.

I'll start looking for parts to round up.

Can you do a special PCM swap without having a SKIM?

As it is, I'm running the NON-H.O. off the 2.7L PCM (as my research showed when i looked it up)
User avatar
 #382320  by In-trepid
 February 16th, 2020, 10:22 pm
I'm going out on a limb here and tell you what I think, not necessarily what I know for sure, so don't hold me to this answer if it doesn't seem right of if someone else has some other experience. This info is all predicated on 2002 - 2004 models only.
1. I'm not sure if SKIM can be turned off in the Special PCM.
2. There are two different BCM's for LH cars. A base level and a premium level. It is my understanding that all 300m, Intrepid ES and SXT, and at least the upper level Concord LXI all have the premium model. The Intrepid SE probably has the standard model. I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not other than the sun sensor, auto headlights, SKIM, etc all plug through the BCM and then the BCM talks to the PCM.
3. Normally, the PCM, SKIM, and key cylinder/key have to be swapped as a unit to operate in a different car.
4. The dash harness in your SE will be different than that of a 300m. If you plan on changing the dash out and go to a 300m dash, you may need the premium BCM, and then all of the wiring for a SKIM setup would be there making the Special PCM, SKIM, and key a doable sway. The dash from a SKIM equipped Intrepid ES would workas well.
5. To get the full advantage of the 3.5 HO plenum, you would need a new engine harness as well so that the short runner valve is actuated.
6. You can get all of this working without a SKIM using the PCM from an Intrepid SXT as they were kind of a mix of SE and ES.
That's my two cents worth!
User avatar
 #382333  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 18th, 2020, 10:06 am
Ok, so my ES was a base ES, no SKIM, and I did the Special swap.

Here's what I did:
1) Bought Special Plenum
2) Bought upper engine wiring harness
3) Bought 2002 Special PCM and SKIM module and Key

Then I installed the Special Plenum, Special PCM, and SKIM module, and taped the key to the original Special to the SKIM module.

Works perfectly.

Bobby mentioned above, though, that you can program SKIM pins into a PCM:
02SilverSpecial wrote:Does your Intrepid have SKIM? If yes you need to get the pin from your pcm and program it into the pcm. This is done with a DRB or professional tool that has the ability to get into the pcm and Change the pin to yours. This way you don’t have to worry about swapping keys etc. if your intrepid doesn’t have SKIM then all you need is an SXT pcm to do the swap
What I don't know is whether this would allow you to program the SKIM OUT/off in a Special PCM.

The tape the key method to the SKIM module is the easiest way to deal with it.
User avatar
 #382347  by sparky99
 February 18th, 2020, 8:00 pm
Sneke_Eyez wrote: February 18th, 2020, 10:06 am Ok, so my ES was a base ES, no SKIM, and I did the Special swap.

Here's what I did:
1) Bought Special Plenum
2) Bought upper engine wiring harness
3) Bought 2002 Special PCM and SKIM module and Key

Then I installed the Special Plenum, Special PCM, and SKIM module, and taped the key to the original Special to the SKIM module.

Works perfectly.

Bobby mentioned above, though, that you can program SKIM pins into a PCM:
02SilverSpecial wrote:Does your Intrepid have SKIM? If yes you need to get the pin from your pcm and program it into the pcm. This is done with a DRB or professional tool that has the ability to get into the pcm and Change the pin to yours. This way you don’t have to worry about swapping keys etc. if your intrepid doesn’t have SKIM then all you need is an SXT pcm to do the swap
What I don't know is whether this would allow you to program the SKIM OUT/off in a Special PCM.

The tape the key method to the SKIM module is the easiest way to deal with it.
How did you wire in the SKIM module if you didn't have one before?
User avatar
 #382351  by 02SilverSpecial
 February 19th, 2020, 11:02 am
First check to see if the SKIM connector is taped up on the steering column. A lot of non skim cars had the connector there just not used. If it’s not there then you need to wire it up to the BCM for PCI, then ground, B+, and ignition
User avatar
 #382352  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 19th, 2020, 11:40 am
Bobby remembers - my car had the SKIM connection there in the steering column, taped off.
He also was the one who knew enough about how this stuff worked to help me do it successfully, so thanks again for that, buddy.
User avatar
 #382364  by First Lady
 February 19th, 2020, 7:40 pm
02SilverSpecial wrote: February 19th, 2020, 11:02 am First check to see if the SKIM connector is taped up on the steering column. A lot of non skim cars had the connector there just not used. If it’s not there then you need to wire it up to the BCM for PCI, then ground, B+, and ignition
How does your brain know this?!? When I read it, it might as well be a foreign language!!!
beespecial liked this
User avatar
 #382369  by sparky99
 February 19th, 2020, 11:07 pm
First Lady wrote: February 19th, 2020, 7:40 pm
02SilverSpecial wrote: February 19th, 2020, 11:02 am First check to see if the SKIM connector is taped up on the steering column. A lot of non skim cars had the connector there just not used. If it’s not there then you need to wire it up to the BCM for PCI, then ground, B+, and ignition


How does your brain know this?!? When I read it, it might as well be a foreign language!!!
you’ve met Bobby right? He has more knowledge than a lot of us will ever have.

I’ll have to check for the Skim connector when I swap clusters this weekend... I’ll reply here....