Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • upper intake plenum question

• General Discussions about the 300M
Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#382373  by In-trepid
 February 20th, 2020, 9:22 am
I have recently looked at the security system due to my fast blinking light. I would question if you also need the sun sensor as it is the armed system indicator and the trunk lock tamper switch as it feeds info to the security system. The SKIM part may work fine the way Ryan has it set up as it always thinks the key is in the ignition and thus never engages the security system. Just a thought!
 #382375  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 20th, 2020, 9:47 am
First Lady wrote: February 19th, 2020, 7:40 pm
02SilverSpecial wrote: February 19th, 2020, 11:02 am First check to see if the SKIM connector is taped up on the steering column. A lot of non skim cars had the connector there just not used. If it’s not there then you need to wire it up to the BCM for PCI, then ground, B+, and ignition
How does your brain know this?!? When I read it, it might as well be a foreign language!!!
Bobby is a sponge for this kind of stuff. He can read parts manuals and the FSM and just remember all the info.
He also has done it all - he helped convert my Intrepid SE 2.7 to a 2.7 HO, he converted my Intrepid to a Special 3.5 HO, etc.
Hands on experience combined with the right brain make for a hell of a friend to have.
 #382378  by 02SilverSpecial
 February 20th, 2020, 1:10 pm
In-trepid wrote: February 20th, 2020, 9:22 am I have recently looked at the security system due to my fast blinking light. I would question if you also need the sun sensor as it is the armed system indicator and the trunk lock tamper switch as it feeds info to the security system. The SKIM part may work fine the way Ryan has it set up as it always thinks the key is in the ignition and thus never engages the security system. Just a thought!
The SKIM module will only know the key is in there when the ignition is switched to the ON position as it only gets power when it is switched on. When it is switched off it will not get the radio code from the key and will have no effect on the VTSS. As for the sun sensor it will be taped up in the harness where the center speaker would be.
 #382379  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 20th, 2020, 1:17 pm
In-trepid wrote: February 20th, 2020, 9:22 am I have recently looked at the security system due to my fast blinking light. I would question if you also need the sun sensor as it is the armed system indicator and the trunk lock tamper switch as it feeds info to the security system. The SKIM part may work fine the way Ryan has it set up as it always thinks the key is in the ignition and thus never engages the security system. Just a thought!
My Intrepid also had the sun sensor wiring in the stock location, FYI.
I plugged a sun sensor and an automatic headlight switch into the car and the Intrepid had auto headlights immediately.

But, I don't have the trunk lock tamper or the full VTSS security system in the Intrepid. I have never had any issues.
 #382380  by sparky99
 February 20th, 2020, 1:19 pm
I’m learning so much guys!!! Thanks for the replies. This is magical.
 #382384  by First Lady
 February 20th, 2020, 8:57 pm
sparky99 wrote: February 19th, 2020, 11:07 pm
you’ve met Bobby right? He has more knowledge than a lot of us will ever have.
Yes and it just amazes me!!!!
 #382414  by sparky99
 February 22nd, 2020, 9:56 pm
Do you know where the sun light sensor pigtail was located? I can’t find it...
 #382415  by sparky99
 February 22nd, 2020, 11:11 pm
sparky99 wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 9:56 pm Do you know where the sun light sensor pigtail was located? I can’t find it...
I installed the sun light sensor but cannot find the pigtail. I hope its there and i just missed it. but i looked all over in the hole and couldn't find any wires that looked extra.

if anyone can help it would be great. I'd like to try to retrofit it with the auto headlights too!
 #382417  by M-Pressive
 February 22nd, 2020, 11:30 pm
I just swapped a dash. That wire is a part of the speaker wire as well if it is there. My guess would be it is sitting on a metal support bar right at the top of the dash.

The wires split off the main harness right in the middle and come up between the dash pad and metal support bracket. It is either there or hanging straight down by the center vent area.
 #382422  by sparky99
 February 23rd, 2020, 3:06 pm
M-Pressive wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 11:30 pm I just swapped a dash. That wire is a part of the speaker wire as well if it is there. My guess would be it is sitting on a metal support bar right at the top of the dash.

The wires split off the main harness right in the middle and come up between the dash pad and metal support bracket. It is either there or hanging straight down by the center vent area.
I had the center vents out due to the cluster swap. I looked (it was dark during, so I could have missed it) all around for it. The Intrepid doesn’t have a center speaker either. I’ll have to look again when I have more time.
 #382428  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 24th, 2020, 10:18 am
In my Intrepids I believe the sun sensor wiring was just there and came up from the usual location as in an M. As Keith said, it is possible it is just taped off somewhere and that is making it hard to find.
 #382457  by sparky99
 February 24th, 2020, 9:53 pm
i will have to pull the cluster out again anyways, so i will be looking for the connector again. If i can't find it, I should be able to wire it into the BCM. I found a schematic that shows the sunlight sensor.
 #382555  by sparky99
 February 29th, 2020, 9:20 pm
through my research I have not come up with a definitive answer, I'm still not sure if my car has the wiring for the sun light sensor. I can tell you it did not originally have one or the center dash speaker.

I however did come up with the schematic for the sensor, and I did find out where it hooks to. I have yet to pull the cluster again, but plan to do so within the next couple of days since we are having a week of "semi-warm" temps coming through.

If i can pull the cluster and the MTC, I should be able to give the main dash harness a good look over and see if the pigtail is there. If not, I will run the wires. I pulled the sunlight sensor wires from the green car and lengthened them. It "shouldn't" be too bad to wire in. Although, it would be easier if they were there.

I'll update on this once I find out.
 #382743  by sparky99
 March 10th, 2020, 8:56 pm
Okay, so I pulled the dash back apart today to address the cluster lights and look for the dang connector that does not exist.
I obviously looked pretty hard and came up short on my car having the sun light sensor connector... With that said, I cut the connector and as much wire as i could get out of the green car and I lengthened the wiring. I was able to track down a schematic for the sun light sensor, so I will have to figure which connector I need to get into to see if adding the wire makes it work

I cut a pigtail off of the BCM wiring from the green car and have what i need to connect everything.

I went ahead and ran the wiring into the dash, hooked it to the sun light sensor, and ran the lengthened wiring along the main dash harness to the BCM. I went ahead and installed the "auto" head light switch in the dash and also (while it was apart) installed my Lighted Key Ring. Now I have all the wiring right to the BCM, just need to hook it up. I just ran out of time tonight.