Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Intake Breather Hose Replacement Solutions

• General Discussions about the 300M
Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#382354  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 19th, 2020, 2:51 pm
The other night I broke my intake breather hose when I tried to put it on my K&N for my new Special.

For those who wonder what I mean, I am referencing part #3 in the photo here, factory part #4792256.

I am wondering what others have used as a replacement.
It does appear there are some on Ebay and I just ordered one, but I'd rather try to find something better if it is out there.

I've tried buying regular heater hose from the auto parts store, but it doesn't work as it is so soft it will collapse when kinked a bit.

Obviously I can keep grabbing them from the junkyard, but that doesn't seem sustainable considering that 80% of them break upon attempting to slide them on the intake.
 #382355  by LUNAT1C
 February 19th, 2020, 3:12 pm
Mine is simply heater hose, bought from the hardware store near your mother's house (yes, all those years ago!).

You are correct, they're easy enough to kink. I was able to cut it just short enough to not have too much slack and kink itself.

I've seen a few folks over the years simply plug the hole in the air cleaner and replace the hose with a breather filter from Autozone. I bought the filter probably 10 years ago, but never got around to retrofitting it onto the valve cover.
 #382356  by dcsally97
 February 19th, 2020, 3:37 pm
I used heater hose as well. Works great.
Sneke_Eyez liked this
 #382358  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 19th, 2020, 3:57 pm
LUNAT1C wrote: February 19th, 2020, 3:12 pm Mine is simply heater hose, bought from the hardware store near your mother's house (yes, all those years ago!).

You are correct, they're easy enough to kink. I was able to cut it just short enough to not have too much slack and kink itself.

I've seen a few folks over the years simply plug the hole in the air cleaner and replace the hose with a breather filter from Autozone. I bought the filter probably 10 years ago, but never got around to retrofitting it onto the valve cover.
Wow, there's a throwback! I remember that meet. We all got a lot done.

Hm, ok, I'll see if I can pick some heater hose up and try it.
My order of the hose from Ebay was just canceled for suspicious reasons ("There was a problem with the Buyer's address."), so I'm still on the hunt for one.
I know I've heard of people putting springs into the hose to help keep it from kinking, but maybe I don't need to do it if I cut it correctly.

EDIT: Just found another one that was just listed and bought that one.
 #382383  by FIREM
 February 20th, 2020, 5:36 pm
" Emissions Hose" by Dorman available at Advance Auto Parts in various shapes and sizes may be a better choice. Oil resistant and less likely to kink/swell than hearer hose.
TrepKing95 liked this
 #382391  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 21st, 2020, 8:20 am
Hmm, thanks for the tip, Bob. Just what I needed to hear.
I will look for "emissions hose" the next time I am at Advance.
 #382394  by Haggis
 February 21st, 2020, 9:40 am
You might want to look up silicone hoses on Amazon if your looking for a pop of color.
 #382395  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 21st, 2020, 1:22 pm
Good tip, Dave.

I'm sticking to OEM-style rubber if possible for now.

The second order I made just got canceled as well, so I guess I'll be visiting my local Advance soon.
 #382735  by Sneke_Eyez
 March 10th, 2020, 1:40 pm
Went to my local Advance last Tuesday to grab a hose.

The employee behind the counter had no idea what emissions hose was and let me go to the back to look at their selection.
All they had were heater hose and transmission line options. I grabbed a foot of heater hose and am using that temporarily with a kink in it.
It is severely kinked, though, so it isn't a good long-term solution.

I will need to search local parts stores for the right thing - often I find O'Reilly has things other places do not have, so I might try them first - or maybe I'll even call.
 #382737  by TrepKing95
 March 10th, 2020, 5:47 pm
Ryan, the Dorman Emissions hose is usually kept off in the same place as the rest of the Dorman "HELP!" products (door handles, washer fluid caps, etc.) Not usually behind the counter. I got some for my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L when the breather between the valve cover and air box broke. It was a little tight to install but works well.
 #382738  by FIREM
 March 10th, 2020, 8:00 pm
Usually with the “help” stuff as noted. Don’t do silicone, oil resistnce is worse than heater hose.
 #382741  by sparky99
 March 10th, 2020, 8:37 pm
i could have sworn I was able to get a replacement hose (as you indicated) at the dealer. I ordered a couple hoses at that time and that was one i needed. have you tried the dealer yet?
 #382742  by beespecial
 March 10th, 2020, 8:45 pm
I got one from the dealer some years ago. Had to take the old one to the parts desk to show him what it was that I was looking for. He had no listing for it in the catalog. He took my hose and matched it in his parts bin.
 #382748  by Sneke_Eyez
 March 11th, 2020, 8:11 am
Hmm, ok, so I need to check the "Help" section. Will do.

As far as OEM, I found the part number and tried to order one - actually I ordered from two 2 different listings from two different ebay sellers - and they both canceled my order.
The part # says sold out throughout the country on all the parts sites, so I'm guessing nobody has them anymore. Another part Chrysler has decided not to make again. :(
 #382751  by M-Pressive
 March 11th, 2020, 8:36 am
One dealership shows the part number in stock.

Car Pros Renton Chrysler Jeep Dodge
Renton, WA 98057