• What did you do to your car today?

• General Discussions about the 300M
Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#382363  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 19th, 2020, 5:29 pm
Looking good, Alex!

I had Monday off, so after trying to relax on Saturday, I dove into car projects on Sunday.

Started with the Ram.
I replaced the PCV valve, then tried to replace the EGR valve.
Chrysler put it in a horrible location. They used stupid torx head bolts.
After messing around with it for an hour or so, I broke the rear bolt after getting it out a small amount. That sucked.
I gave up. Then I brought the truck to my mechanic.
They called me yesterday morning - could be $700 to fix it, they need to take the intake off.
That is ridiculous money to spend to replace a $65 part, but it is not their fault Chrysler designed it to be inaccessible despite the fact that the 4.7 eats the stupid EGR valves.
Today I spoke to them around noon and they told me it was in the shop waiting to be taken apart.

So after that debacle in the morning I moved on to my new Special.
First I put new belts and new pulleys on the motor.
Then I took off the plenum in order to put the intake spacer on, replace the cam seals and MTV seal, and clean out the plenum.
Once it was off, I replaced the rear cam seals, MTV seal, and checked out the inner tie rod bushings, which were pretty good.
I moved on to replace the PCV valve, cranked it one crank in the wrong direction, then tried to turn it back the right way and it snapped off inside the plenum.
So I cleaned up and gave up for Sunday.

Monday morning, after some rest, I went back out, drilled out the PCV valve, and used a screwdriver to turn the shell of it out of the plenum.
Then I did some cleaning of the motor, put the intake spacer on, and buttoned everything back up in the engine bay.

Then I changed the oil with fresh Mobil 1 10W30 High Mileage.

After that, I moved on to the rear of the car.

I painted and installed the gas tank straps, new rear rotors and Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic pads, and new rear swaybar endlinks.

Here was my pile of rusty, used up parts when I was done:

Then I moved on to reassembly of the interior, but I only got a few things done before I had to pack it in for the night.

So, from my earlier list:
Reassemble the dash (lower panels and Rb1/DVD Changer install).
Install the adapter and low profile Sirius Antenna.
Oil change.
New idler pulley.
New tensioner pulley.
New belts.
New rear lateral links.
New painted gas tank straps.
New rear sway bar endlinks.
New rear brake pads and rotors.
New front sway bar bushings.
New NGK Spark Plugs.
Upstream NTK O2 sensors.
New PCV valve.
V4 Plenum spacer.
Rear cam seals.
Front MTV valve seal.

Then possible items to be replaced depending on their condition:
Inner tie rod bushings. - Driver's side has a minor amount of wear, decided it wasn't worth it at this time.
Harmonic balancer. - What is on there is good, no need at this time.

I need to finish putting it together inside before it is "done."
Then I need to get it aligned after the suspension swap from my original Special.

I can do the o2 sensors, Sirius antenna, lateral links, and front swaybar bushings after I start driving the car.
monte4 liked this
 #382374  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 20th, 2020, 9:45 am
Reassembled my dash last night.

My new Special is ready to rock and roll.
beespecial, First Lady liked this
 #382382  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 20th, 2020, 5:03 pm
$827.84 later and my Ram is fixed. My mechanic said it was an absolute nightmare - the location just makes it so difficult to do the job, combined with the broken bolt.
Knowing I'm an attorney, he suggested I sue Chrysler.
I'm glad it is done, but that was a repair bill I wasn't expecting this month.
Is it any wonder I try to do all my own car work?
 #382387  by First Lady
 February 20th, 2020, 9:10 pm
Sneke_Eyez wrote: February 20th, 2020, 5:03 pm $827.84 later and my Ram is fixed. My mechanic said it was an absolute nightmare - the location just makes it so difficult to do the job, combined with the broken bolt.
Ouch!! Did you take it to ASPI?
My guess is that's about what you're saving with Ashley in the new car so maybe it'll wash this month?! I'm pulling at straws but maybe it'll help you feel a bit better :-)
 #382390  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 21st, 2020, 8:18 am
First Lady wrote: February 20th, 2020, 9:10 pm
Sneke_Eyez wrote: February 20th, 2020, 5:03 pm $827.84 later and my Ram is fixed. My mechanic said it was an absolute nightmare - the location just makes it so difficult to do the job, combined with the broken bolt.
Ouch!! Did you take it to ASPI?
My guess is that's about what you're saving with Ashley in the new car so maybe it'll wash this month?! I'm pulling at straws but maybe it'll help you feel a bit better :-)
Yeah, I took it to ASPI. They've always been willing to take on these pain in the butt jobs for me so I stick with them as that's about the only thing I bring them.
Last time I brought them Ashley's Pro Am with the stripped transmission pan bolts and they fixed them.

I wish the Fusion was saving us that much every month! It does save us money, but it would be better if we didn't have a payment on it.
I figure with the amount of work I've done on the Ram recently (replaced my own oil pan, replaced my own spark plugs, replaced my own front brakes and driver's wheel bearing), I've saved about $800 of labor, so that's something, I guess.
 #382396  by LUNAT1C
 February 21st, 2020, 2:47 pm
No wonder at all. While my Jeep was at the dealer getting the torque converter and front axle U-joints done under warranty (by the skin of my teeth... 59,964 miles on the 60,000 mile warranty), they told me I also need ball joints and a radiator. Labor on the ball joints will be about $600, plus parts. They offered to do them at the same time as the U-joints and get all the labor done by warranty, but they would have used OEM parts that WILL fail again. I'll be trying my luck in my driveway come spring with upgrade Dynatrac joints.

The radiator was going to be all-in over $800, stating that it would be necessary to evacuate and recharge the A/C system. Having just done an A/C system I was very leery of opening it up at all unless absolutely necessary, and I've already seen dozens of YouTube mechanics do the job without opening the A/C. Just unbolt the condenser in place and be careful not to knick the lines on R&R. I did it myself on a (cold) Saturday the day before our trip to Philly for Xmas, for about $200 in parts (Mopar radiator, pre-mix Mopar OAT, Mopar hoses, A/M thermostat and housing).

If only I had any skill at all with rebuilding transaxles, I could have tackled that my self 5 years ago on my Special and saved well over a thousand bucks.
 #382398  by dcsally97
 February 21st, 2020, 8:41 pm
I changed the battery this evening and put the new headlights I bought from John in. I could tell the battery was getting weaker, slow starts, etc. When I pulled it out, the date sticker was 12/13. I think it had a pretty good life. The headlights look great as well.
M-Pressive liked this
 #382405  by 2001Intrepid18
 February 22nd, 2020, 10:39 am
Baby’s getting an oil change and transmission fluid and filter change and my New DRL module from overstock at a Mopar dealer is getting installed today
M-Pressive liked this
 #382406  by M-Pressive
 February 22nd, 2020, 11:38 am
Been searching for SEM Light Taupe paint for about two years.

Finally found a couple of cans in NY. I reached out to see if they had or could get more and was told they could not.

Can finally start on a project that has been on old for a while.
 #382418  by In-trepid
 February 23rd, 2020, 12:09 am
Sherwin Williams Automotive Finishes can mix some up and put in a spray can for about $40 per can. I was looking for some SEM light taupe about a year ago and this was a tip from a body shop guy that used to be my neighbor. Congrats on finding the Light Taupe SEM paint.
 #382419  by dcsally97
 February 23rd, 2020, 1:05 pm
Went to PNP to grab some plenum brackets, a strut brace and the main power cable for the future Big 3 upgrade. I pulled most of this from a 2000 M which had a mint interior. I think the color is Agate. I want to know if I can use all of my wiring if I decide to get this interior. I have a 2004 and I know the wiring is different.
 #382420  by LUNAT1C
 February 23rd, 2020, 1:23 pm
dcsally97 wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 1:05 pm Went to PNP to grab some plenum brackets, a strut brace and the main power cable for the future Big 3 upgrade. I pulled most of this from a 2000 M which had a mint interior. I think the color is Agate. I want to know if I can use all of my wiring if I decide to get this interior. I have a 2004 and I know the wiring is different.
Dash harness may or may not be the same. Seats I think are all the same connectors.
 #382421  by dcsally97
 February 23rd, 2020, 1:35 pm
I would hope that all the mount holes are the same, I can swap my harness over. I think I can get everything for about $350 plus tax.
 #382423  by monte4
 February 23rd, 2020, 6:30 pm
Today I took apart and soldered the 3 resistors that crack and short out which gives a blank display in the 2004 ATC head unit that I bought from Ryan and installed it. Nice touch having the colour in the display now.
 #382424  by M-Pressive
 February 24th, 2020, 8:02 am
monte4 wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 6:30 pm Today I took apart and soldered the 3 resistors that crack and short out which gives a blank display in the 2004 ATC head unit that I bought from Ryan and installed it. Nice touch having the colour in the display now.
Lindsey's started acting up the other day. Will need to pull it at some point and fix it again.