Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • What did you do to your car today?

• General Discussions about the 300M
Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#385215  by Phoenix
 July 22nd, 2020, 5:28 am
Looked in the garage and shed but no luck. But I do need some of the stuff in the attick so I am gonna check tomorrow night.
Thanks Alex.
 #385219  by adu1982
 July 22nd, 2020, 9:39 pm
Well I feel double stupid...I might have made you wait for nothing.... Looked and crawled through the attick and nothing..... I did find that I have another special mirror with no glass and a special silver one with a bad glass, driver side. But the lhs mirrors nowhere.....I am starting later this week on fixing the lhs so I bet I'll have to go to the yards and I can grab you a mirror if you want...just a regular one.... The specials I grabbed I'm keeping as they are rare now and in the past year I lost 3 of them to accidents. Or I can send you a special driver side mirror...with either no glass or bad glass.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Phoenix liked this
 #385220  by Phoenix
 July 22nd, 2020, 10:42 pm
No worries. If you happen to find a regular black one pick it up for me if you can. The only car in a yard by me had a broken mirror when I took the door. I have glass from that one and my original if you need it. Thanks.
 #385222  by Sneke_Eyez
 July 24th, 2020, 10:28 am
This weekend I am hoping to get time to add sound deadening to the Special and no matter what I need to change the oil and have the battery tested.

Unfortunately, though, my mom's toilet in her master bathroom decided to start leaking, so I've got to replace that first, and my lawn is pretty long, so I need to cut it.
Plus there is my mother-in-law's birthday we're hosting with a socially distant party (of 6 total people) on our deck.
Only so much time in each weekend...
 #385375  by Sneke_Eyez
 August 5th, 2020, 9:41 am
Sunday night I finally had time to change the oil in my Special.
I also looked over the battery and grounds again and did not find anything out of place.
I still need to get the battery out and get it tested, but I just haven't had the time and the car has otherwise been running well.

Last night I replaced my inner tie rod bushings on the Special with the Moog 2 piece style.
It firmed up the steering and eliminated some of my noises coming into and out of the parking garage, but didn't solve my thunking completely.

Tonight if I get a minute I'm going to put the wheels back up in the air and see what I can see.
 #385376  by StealthM
 August 5th, 2020, 12:58 pm
Hello all. Well finally got rid of that pesky P0455 code thats been ghosting Stealthm for a while. Turns out the purge valve on the top of the tank took a crap (thanks Mike). Had to drop the tank again to get to it. So now all of my evap system parts have been replaced. Had the a/c pulled and replaced. No leaks but it wasn't getting super cold. And I had the a trans service done. Had a slight shudder between 65 and 70 mph. Thought it might be the trannys converter but turned out to be my front tires were slightly out of balance. Other then that nothing else new to report.... stay safe all.
 #385377  by Sneke_Eyez
 August 5th, 2020, 2:18 pm
Always good when you solve those little issues driving you nuts!
 #385412  by LUNAT1C
 August 10th, 2020, 1:24 am
What idiot bolts a car back together, getting ready for a car show, double checks that everything is back together right EXCEPT ONE THING, starts the engine, hears a gurgling sound, checks every fluid under the hood, finds nothing, then steps back and realizes the ONE THING was the trans cooler line still being disconnected from getting the freshly cleaned fan assembly back in.

It’s me. I’m idiot. On the plus side, I no longer have quite so many rolls of blue shop towels to store, and Luna has two fresh quarts of ATF+4 dumped into the trans.

That was quite the murder scene, seeing the expanding pool of red fluid under the car...

On top of that, my only 7mm wrench is now somewhere in the front of the car.

Sigh... the good news is is the trimmed cooler lines and fuel injection clamps seem to have stopped the leaks. The fan assembly is now mostly clean (after washing it a second time with the car down at the end of the driveway...) and 4200 pounds of gunk are now removed from the radiator assembly and subframe after years of slow leaks.

While the fascia was off for all this cleaning, I broke a headlight mount and the front impact absorber. Repaired the headlight mount again (second time) with different material this time. I had a spare perfect impact absorber, so that went on. The previous one had broken at the driver’s fixing point and I glued it back together a long while back, but it broke off again. Easy enough to unscrew it and screw in the perfect one that I had in the spare parts bin. I also installed the side guards on either side of the radiator that have been missing since the wreck (honestly no idea what they’re for, but they stick out in front of the crash bar... fascia support?).

All year (honestly for as long as I’ve had it, but it’s worse lately) I’ve been having trouble with Android Auto remaining connected while driving this car. It’s favorite thing to do lately is to repeatedly disconnect and either reconnect, or tell me its an unidentified USB device. Right now the M set up 100% the same as my Jeep. My Pixel 2 XL uses a USB-C to USB-A cable compatible with USB 3.1 (necessary for passing data to the head unit for Android Auto while charging the phone and keeping a good connection) to connect to a dual USB 3.0 pass-through device, which replaces the cigarette lighter socket in the car and provides a solid connection point on the dash to the radio. The pass-through is connected to the dual USB cables that run to the back of the Kenwood DDX-9903S (yes, same radio model for both vehicles).

I thought briefly that perhaps the 9903S in the M was showing its age, as it’s now 5 generations old and dates back to 2015. I bought it on the cheap as a factory refurb unit. But, the same model is in the Jeep with zero issues. I thought maybe it was the USB cable, as AA is finicky with cables and I was using aftermarket Aukey cables. But, the Aukey cable in the Jeep was fine, and when I used that known good cable in the M, the problem persisted. Using the cable from the M in the Jeep was perfectly fine. Now the concern is perhaps the cheap pass-through that I got from Amazon. Same model as the one the one the Jeep, but cheap Chinese tech can and does vary wildly. I popped out the console panels and reversed the USB cables so the AA USB to the radio switched positions at the pass-through. Jury is still out. Sitting the garage it was fine. Driving down the pock-marked road that services our development it did disconnect once, but didn’t the rest of the 10 minute cruise I did this afternoon. Not planning on taking apart the car again for a while other than to deaden the doors soon, so I’ll put on some miles and see what happens. If it continues, I’ll pull the radio’s cables through and connect directly to see what happens. I hope it’s not the radio because I don’t want to spend $800 on the latest model (and won’t get an older one if I can help it, I like getting the latest and making it last as long as I can), but having a bad pass-through is also bad because it’s the only one I could find that is a USB pass-through and not just a power point. Unless I can find one now that passes dual USB-C, which is much preferred but doesn’t exist in dual-USB form to have my Pixel running Android Auto and Nick’s iPhone also fast charging on the secondary port. We’ll see.

Finally, I also got the home link working. I thought it was earlier, but it stopped working. It was already programmed to the garage opener remote, so when the car was back in the driveway I stopped at the door and pressed the learn button on the opener, then each button in the homelink. Hopefully it stays working... the remote stopped working after doing that, so I had to relearn that. Currently the keypad, remote, and homelink are all working. Better stay that way.
EasyRider300M liked this
 #385481  by LUNAT1C
 August 18th, 2020, 9:16 pm
Just got back from driving the car out to Highland and back, testing a theory about the USB issues. I think I confirmed two things... one is the cheap Chinese pass-through is bad, and two is the USB connection to the radio itself just isn’t that great. A good bump in the road will disrupt it regardless. Might be time to keep an eye out for deals on wireless Android Auto units.

Coming back home, I realized how much I miss driving this car regularly. I threaded the car between the various lakes near our house, sticking to the lake roads. Late summer night, stars out, moonroof wide open, music playing... such a wonderful and relaxing drive. I’ll need to plan a route winding around more of the lakes around here to occasionally do night drives like this. I’ll also need to get a throwback roof for my Jeep, so I can do the same in that without messing with the roof panels.
 #385484  by Sneke_Eyez
 August 19th, 2020, 7:35 am
This weekend I looked at my front suspension, which late last week began incessantly knocking from the driver's side- I assumed front sway bar endlink based on the sound and I was right.
The Moog unit installed in December, 2019 when I swapped suspension from my old Special to this one failed.
I tried to get advance to warranty it, but they wanted to make me jump through hoops and wouldn't help me until the next day (Monday).
I said screw that and just bought another Moog - I certainly hope it lasts longer than the Moog it replaced. Boston roads are hell on the links apparently, but I will need to go to a different brand if this one fails as well.

I'm still driving the car with no carpet as I haven't made my sound deadening project a priority.
Just too many other things to do with the house and trying to find some amount of relaxation each weekend.
Hoping to button that project up before too long.
 #385511  by Null
 August 21st, 2020, 11:42 am
Front struts replaced, timing belt and water pump done ✅ front windshield has developed another crack and will need to be replaced again. I'm not sure if it's due to body flex or rust issue in that same corner bottom drivers side. Will be doing brakes soon because they are definitely due. Few other issues that need to be fixed but still going strong (knock on wood)
M-Pressive liked this
 #385587  by adu1982
 August 30th, 2020, 11:18 am
Off to the store to pickup a pass side LCA.....seemed like that was the only thing bent....it was an aftermarket piece (Moog) that I replaced not that long ago.....she might be back on the road by tonight....hoping...

#385589  by adu1982
 August 30th, 2020, 2:49 pm
Well no good deed goes unpunished....(have still not talked to the other insurance about paying for my damage even though I have tore it down). The bent LCA was not the only thing....still off angle and back an inch.....might have to get a whole new used sway bar from the yards and I'm at the store for a sway bars strut bar thingie and a passenger axle just in case.....and I though I was gonna be done today......yeah right.... Also cut into one side of the headlight rear bracket so I can adjust the gifs....they never really fit cause of the way the lhs headlights are. Gonna chop the other side to later . At the store now to pick those 2 up ....but I have a feeling I might have to go to the yards tomorrow......

Lhs sway bars are the same as Ms right? Only specials were different , correct?

#385590  by M-Pressive
 August 30th, 2020, 5:38 pm
adu1982 wrote:Well no good deed goes unpunished....(have still not talked to the other insurance about paying for my damage even though I have tore it down). The bent LCA was not the only thing....still off angle and back an inch.....might have to get a whole new used sway bar from the yards and I'm at the store for a sway bars strut bar thingie and a passenger axle just in case.....and I though I was gonna be done today......yeah right.... Also cut into one side of the headlight rear bracket so I can adjust the gifs....they never really fit cause of the way the lhs headlights are. Gonna chop the other side to later . At the store now to pick those 2 up ....but I have a feeling I might have to go to the yards tomorrow......

Lhs sway bars are the same as Ms right? Only specials were different , correct?

Bar should be the same
 #385620  by adu1982
 August 31st, 2020, 11:25 pm
Didn't get a chance to grab a bar...almost but I didn't have a cutter or big sockets and it wouldn't come out ...gave up, came home and decided to just give up and call it a day on the lhs. Fixed a few things on both the base and special. Glue back the boot shifter on the base. Replaced the cig plug on the special with a 2 port USB charger, replaced pass front inside door handle , added screws to both rear door handles (forgot them somehow last I worked on rear doors and I though the inner handles were broke....luckily not)...

Also added a bit of freon to the base. Maybe a EVAP leak...or somewhere else....when I replaced the compressor a few months back.... Also cleaned the special seats ....damn they were dirty.... The Lexol and meguiar cleaner couldn't touch the ups dirt....had to break out 4 magic erasers or so.... Not perfect but a lot cleaner. Also grabbed the firestick 4k from the lhs and put in the special....but it acted up....kept restarting. Swapped it with one from the house ...all good. The one from the car worked just fine in the house...weird.....but for the 2 hours I was out it , the one from the house worked just fine in the special....Also had a new camshaft and a good crankshaft sensor swapped into the special....(though I think there might be some underlying problem connected with my abs/Trac light on). But we shall see. This trip should put about 1-2k miles so....it'll be a good test. The camshaft sensor I got out still had a spacer on it...so I might have replaced it but....I didn't put it in the app so I am not sure....now I did so in the future I'll know. All in all it was a good productive day... technically my Monday of day..so not vacation. Hopefully tomorrow we can leave early enough....Special is ready....One issue that might annoy me was the wifi tether didn't work right.....maybe tower related ...(up speed were almost 0) will see on the road.....worse case will just use plain old Bluetooth...it did the same thing when we left for Miami until we got going. Also had the special running for about 4 hrs.....with AC blowing and outside temps in their 85-90.....steady as she can be....

#385621  by LUNAT1C
 September 1st, 2020, 12:05 am
Really haven't touched my car in a bit, other than to daily it for a few days while the Jeep was laid up at the dealer for ball joints and trans/transfer case service. Our new town has TERRIBLE hard water, so I ordered a "deluxe" deionizer kit from Autogeek to help reduce the mineral deposits and make it safer to wash the cars. Plan is to mount the canisters to my wash cart.

Once I got the Jeep back I took off the sway bar disconnects and traced the constant front end rattle to one of the pins on the bar having loosened up in spite of the locktite I put on it. I carefully tightened it again... tough to do with the poor design that makes you use a thin and sturdy tool to hold the pin in place while trying to keep the bar from rotating up and tightening the nylock nut... but doing that and greasing the link joints quieted things down. Jeep is with Nick at the hospital tonight since his Renegade didn't have enough gas for the round trip, but I bought a new bolt and washer that will hopefully fix the knocking sound that I've had for years as the body flexes. A few years ago the captured nut in the center passenger side body mount stripped a bit, and since then the factory style bolt refuses to get tight. A local offroad shop thinks the sound is the threads popping in and out. Some folks a bunch of years ago on the Wrangler forum found out that the factory style bolts are tapered and people were having issues after removing and installing the bolts a few times when changing rock sliders (as I did when this started) and a chunk of the captured nut fell out, just like I did. I bought a stainless grade 10.9 bolt from ACE hardware that is the same M12x1.75 bolt, 20mm longer (120 now), chunky fender washer, and not tapered. The straight bolt and longer length should give better engagement to torque it down and hopefully stop the clunk when the body flexes. If it doesn't, I'll burn the Jeep. Can't think of anything else that would do it. I know the shocks are showing their age now at 60,000 miles (70,000 on the Jeep) but I can't imagine they would clunk only while flexing. The plan is to remove the rock sliders and the winch hoop on the front bumper to send out for media blasting and powdercoating before winter returns, so the bolts will come out and go back in at least two more times. If this bolt works, I'll get 5 more to replace the other bolts as well.
 #385649  by Sneke_Eyez
 September 3rd, 2020, 8:44 am
*sigh*
This morning on the way to work in my Special something with the belt drive system failed. My Special chucked the nut off the idler pulley by the alternator and spun the AC belt around so it is riding sideways in its track. The serpentine belt then rode on the stud that holds the idler pulley for at least a couple of miles.
It chewed up more than half of the serpentine belt in the process.
Now, I still made it into the parking garage, but I have no tools or parts with which to fix the car.
Inspection of the area was tough because the car was extremely hot.
I am currently arranging to have tools and parts delivered to me at work to fix it (at least temporarily) when work is over.
I can't say this is how I wanted to spend my evening.

This is a very patience-trying moment with this car for me.
I've been eyeing new cars and this makes me want to go and make an unreasonable financial decision that will prevent me from having to work on a car in a parking garage at night...
 #385650  by adu1982
 September 3rd, 2020, 9:25 am
Don't know if this will help but new cars will have problems too. My dad's 2018 Pacifica was in for 2 days for ac work about a month ago (they replaced the lines they said) and last time he was here, last week, it wasn't really cooling again......only about 40k on that car , if that.....

But I feel you......I keep thinking that I do need a new car, or newer car......Even though about renting one for this trip ....but then put a new camshaft sensor on the special , and we are on vacation in it......

But sometimes, especially lately since I didn't have time to work on them, I feel exactly the same way....we may need a new car, or almost new...

#385652  by Sneke_Eyez
 September 3rd, 2020, 10:20 am
adu1982 wrote: September 3rd, 2020, 9:25 am Don't know if this will help but new cars will have problems too. My dad's 2018 Pacifica was in for 2 days for ac work about a month ago (they replaced the lines they said) and last time he was here, last week, it wasn't really cooling again......only about 40k on that car , if that.....

But I feel you......I keep thinking that I do need a new car, or newer car......Even though about renting one for this trip ....but then put a new camshaft sensor on the special , and we are on vacation in it......

But sometimes, especially lately since I didn't have time to work on them, I feel exactly the same way....we may need a new car, or almost new...

Of course new cars need work too.
Just wondering if now that I'm commuting everyday if something else should be getting me back and forth.

At least I can fix it for now.
 #385653  by LUNAT1C
 September 3rd, 2020, 11:20 am
Yup, new cars need work too. My Jeep turned 4 years old in April. In the last 12 months it has need a torque converter, front axle U-joints, radiator, tie rod w/ joints, drag link w/ joints, and ball joints. It still has an irritating crack noise whenever the body flexes that I've yet to be able to track down.

Of course, my Jeep isn't stock. The tires contributed to the pre-mature wear on the ball joints and steering components, but there's no excuse for the torque converter or radiator to fail before 60,000 miles. If it fails again before 120, the Jeep is gone.

We've been looking at replacing the Renegade with a tow vehicle and have been going back and forth on the Durango R/T and Grand Cherokee with the 5.7. Folks tell us "you should wait! the GC is getting re-engineered next year!" Yes, to the Stelvio platform. All the more reason to get one sooner, given new designs' favored activity of breaking down. I'm just hoping production of new cars catches up to demand soon, so the prices on used cars falls back to a less-than-ludicrous level.