Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • What did you do to your car today?

• General Discussions about the 300M
Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#387645  by StealthM
 April 6th, 2021, 8:25 pm
Robert. That has to be the cleanest work table top I have ever seen.... are your strut rod bushing original? I replace mine about 4 years ago and they are already cracked. Might change them out when I do the lower ball joints.
 #387653  by LUNAT1C
 April 7th, 2021, 10:33 am
StealthM wrote: April 6th, 2021, 8:25 pm Robert. That has to be the cleanest work table top I have ever seen.... are your strut rod bushing original? I replace mine about 4 years ago and they are already cracked. Might change them out when I do the lower ball joints.
I cleared away a bunch of junk right before getting started on this project. :lol: Once the garage is finished I'm hoping to keep it neat, with everything having its place. I need to replace the insulation on the exposed exterior wall next to Luna, then drywall it, re-tape and re-mud the the unfinished drywall everywhere else, prime and paint. Then put up whatever I need for organizing. Hopefully in May/June while the car is getting a minor body restoration done.

Strut rod and control arm are all factory original. The dry rot seen there has been happening for at least half of my stewardship of the car (12 years this month since I bought it). It still seemed fairly solid, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was contributing to some minor noise or shimmy along with the shot ball joint. I'm replacing the sway bar links as well due to the boots splitting, and those are Moog units installed when the struts were done 10 years/40,000 miles ago. 19 years and 138,000 miles on these strut rods and control arms.
 #387657  by FIREM
 April 7th, 2021, 1:55 pm
Recently replaced Lower Control arms, Tension Strut bushings, and the ORIGONAL 216k mile tie rod ends!
Moog RK 7211 & 7213 Control arms.
 #387660  by 300mdriving Ferret
 April 7th, 2021, 6:25 pm
im new here I have a 1999 Chrysler 300m with bad gas fumes coming from fuel rail area. i cant do anything till payday . I am going to a friends house tomorrow he is going to check the fuel pressure. can I bypass the pressure regulator in the rail? I cant afford a new one that is if i can even still get one. Is it possible its just a bad o ring on an injector and i can just replace the o rings?. as for not driving the car anymore that is no option this has been going on a while. i am a single house hold and need to work to pay bills or i will be living in the car. can some body help. if it rurns out to be the fuel rail does any one here have one that is good? Thanks for the help
 #387663  by Sneke_Eyez
 April 8th, 2021, 7:57 am
300mdriving Ferret wrote: April 7th, 2021, 6:25 pm im new here I have a 1999 Chrysler 300m with bad gas fumes coming from fuel rail area. i cant do anything till payday . I am going to a friends house tomorrow he is going to check the fuel pressure. can I bypass the pressure regulator in the rail? I cant afford a new one that is if i can even still get one. Is it possible its just a bad o ring on an injector and i can just replace the o rings?. as for not driving the car anymore that is no option this has been going on a while. i am a single house hold and need to work to pay bills or i will be living in the car. can some body help. if it rurns out to be the fuel rail does any one here have one that is good? Thanks for the help
I highly doubt it is the fuel rail itself.
These cars used a plastic/nylon line that ran from the metal gas line to the fuel rail and it can split over time.
The only "temporary" fix is to slice a section of fuel safe hose and clamp it onto the plastic line where the split is with appropriate clamps.
There are then other options for fixing it/replacing it, but get it temporarily fixed before your car burns to the ground...

I picked up my wheels that were leaking from the tire shop on Tuesday - but have not done a thing with them since.
They are simply leaning against the posts in my garage near the car on jackstands.
Today is my wife Ashley's birthday, so I don't see myself getting them on the car until at least tomorrow night.
But, luckily my excess of vehicles allowed me to drive the Fusion to work yesterday and the Ram this morning.

I managed to get home 12.5 miles last night on all electric power in the Fusion.
It has about 20 miles of pure electric range, I used 8ish on the way to work with EV turned off on the highway and used the remainder on the way home. Pretty fun to try and game the car to get the best mileage it can, a bit like a video game.
 #387696  by First Lady
 April 11th, 2021, 8:48 pm
This afternoon we washed the black M, John’s M, and mine! It was fun to have them all lined up in the driveway and just move from one to the next. Zano on Johns and some spray wax on the other two for now. So nice to be out in the driveway in April!! Had to stop and put sunscreen on!!!

Another awesome day in our new home!!
 #387697  by LUNAT1C
 April 12th, 2021, 9:30 am
Looks like a nice and pretty little neighborhood there! Makes me wish I could go full remote, but I don't want to sell my house and move again anytime soon. :lol:

Yesterday I followed Bob's advice (who doesn't?) to get the new control arms and tension struts installed. My outer tie rods and sway bar links look ready for replacement as well with 10 years/40,000 miles on the sway bar links and 19 years/138,000 on the tie rod ends, but I put the car back down so I could enjoy it a bit and see if the control arms solved the issues. It feels less "jiggly", if that makes sense (old ball joints had both split and needed replacement), but there is still some knocking over what the rest of the country calls rough roads (we just call it a paved road, so much for the Governor's "fix the d*** roads!" campaign slogan). Next will be the sway bar links, and I'll inspect the sway bar bushings at the same time. Bob had installed Moog bushings in 2013 I think, maybe 20-25k ago. No idea how long those are supposed to last. If tie rods aren't especially hard to do (control arms were only difficult in getting the tension struts tightened down and trying to torque in close confines, did the best I could) I'll knock them out, then try to find a trustworthy place to do an alignment. I have the tie rods and adjustor sleeves already.

I had the whole car up on stands to also do the annual tire rotation, but since my only miles last year were driving it to the new house and to OC, I skipped it. Wondering if I should bother changing the synthetic oil. I usually do it annually, which tends to be about 5000 miles, but according my cost log on my maintenance tracking app, it was barely 2000 miles last year. Seems like a waste, and there is some debate on modern engines and synthetic oil needing that 12 month change. If I need to, then I'll need to do the black car as well and I'll just use basic oil since it has been driven less than a mile in the last two years.
 #387698  by M-Pressive
 April 12th, 2021, 6:19 pm
LUNAT1C wrote: April 12th, 2021, 9:30 am Looks like a nice and pretty little neighborhood there! Makes me wish I could go full remote, but I don't want to sell my house and move again anytime soon. :lol:
10 months and we will be moving again.... As long as we like the Charleston area we will be buying or building a house here!
LUNAT1C liked this