• RB1, DVD Changer, UConnect & SiriusXM Upgrade | What I've Learned

• General Discussions about the 300M
John Benjamin Memorial Virtual Car Show Banner

Carlisle Chrysler Nationals

Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#365990  by Chrysler1924

Many thanks to Keith Jarvis, Bobby DelPonte & Justin Hopkins for their knowledge in this.

Recently, I began the process of working on adding the RB1, DVD Changer, UConnect & Sirius XM to my 2000 300M. While there is a lot of information around the forums in existing threads regarding these modifications, I thought I would try to put as much of what I needed to know in one place to hopefully make it easier for the next person in an updated thread.

Although any OEM Mopar RB1 radio unit should work in a 300M, not all RB1 models will support the UConnect (hands-free Bluetooth) functionality. If you have an RB1 where the voice navigation instructions come out from the front left speakers and NOT both sides, your RB1 unit should be able to handle UConnect without issue. Mine is date stamped October 2004 and it works, so Keith and I were thinking perhaps late 2004 models and newer RB1's would be just fine.

The RB1 units require the use of a navigation DVD to reference navigation data. The latest and final RB1 navigation disc is the "AL" model, and as of the date of this posting can still be purchased through club member JoeKD. It is worth noting that if you purchase a used RB1 (which, all of them are at this point), you should check to make sure the in-unit single disc player is in working order. Apparently, over time the heat from the RB1 can cause the disc drive to wear out causing the unit to not be able to read the navigational discs properly. Several members of this club have replaced the disc drive unit inside their RB1's with the disc drive unit from other stand-alone units with great success.

When the front dashboard trim panel is removed, there is space enough to mount the RB1 GPS antenna beside the sunlight sensor in the center of the dashboard. There is a recess to the left that is just the right size to adhere the antenna with some double-stick tape and run the cable down into the dashboard toward the center console. To remove the front dashboard trim panel, both A-pillar trim pieces must be removed.

I got the whole SiriusXM setup out of a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country [RS platform, 4th generation minivan] and it includes two control modules (I believe one is technically called a receiver and the other a multiplexer, but I could be wrong here), the satellite antenna, and the antenna's cable. It should be noted that depending on the year of the vehicle you pull the equipment from, you may get a satellite multiplexer box that has TWO antenna plugs, or one that has only one. Apparently, the 2006-2007 models utilize the single plug design and the years prior use the two plug design. Unfortunately, the satellite antennas required for these boxes are NOT the same part. One antenna has two wires coming out of it, and the other just one. Therefore, make sure you get the correct antenna for whichever box you utilize. In the minivans, the front of the headliner must be loosened in order to gain access to the bolt that holds the externally-mounted satellite antenna to the roof. You will also need to remove the passenger side A-pillar grip handle and then the A-pillar trim to begin removing the antenna wire.

Although similar in appearance, the UConnect modules used in the Chrysler Pacifica crossovers and other newer Mopar vehicles will NOT function in an LH car. The "bus" by which the modules communicate is different from what the LH cars utilize and will therefore not work. So if you want to find parts to do this modification, they must be pulled out of a 4th Generation Minivan, RS platform which was 2001-2007 model years.

To activate SiriusXM satellite radio service, you must provide the radio unit's ID or "ESN" number. Once everything is hooked up properly, power on the radio and tap the CD/AUX button on the RB1 to enter Satellite mode. Once there, press the "CANCEL" button 4 times after which the ESN of the unit will display. I'd advise writing this number down and keeping it somewhere where you can find it later if need be.

To ensure proper fitment of the CD/DVD 6-disc changer unit in the 300M, the plastic mounting tabs on either side of the faceplate must be carefully cut off in order to allow the unit to sit far enough back in the console to allow the center stack trim piece to secure over it.

**Edit: As I have more time, I will continue to edit this post with more information.
M-Pressive, redmax liked this
 #372318  by greyrock

Hi Chrysler1924,

I too have a complete setup out of a 07 Town and Country, I may have a mismatched mirror or bluetooth module from a Pacifica, I'm not sure. When I press the mirror key, my RB1 will show the hands-free screen for about 5-seconds and then go back to the previous screen. I'm still looking for another authentic 06/07 G4 Van to get another mirror and module from. Sorry for the rant, my question is what is the correct connecting procedure and harness routing for these devices? Mirror, Bluetooth module, SAT receiver, DVD changer (no video or screens, just use for audio) and of course the multiplex splitter? I have many cables I've pulled from many interconnecting cable from Chrysler vehicles for most A/V equipment. YTour thoughts? Thanks!
 #372331  by Sneke_Eyez

greyrock wrote: March 6th, 2018, 6:37 pm Hi Chrysler1924,

I too have a complete setup out of a 07 Town and Country, I may have a mismatched mirror or bluetooth module from a Pacifica, I'm not sure. When I press the mirror key, my RB1 will show the hands-free screen for about 5-seconds and then go back to the previous screen. I'm still looking for another authentic 06/07 G4 Van to get another mirror and module from. Sorry for the rant, my question is what is the correct connecting procedure and harness routing for these devices? Mirror, Bluetooth module, SAT receiver, DVD changer (no video or screens, just use for audio) and of course the multiplex splitter? I have many cables I've pulled from many interconnecting cable from Chrysler vehicles for most A/V equipment. YTour thoughts? Thanks!
Mirrors are all the same, Pacifica, newer LX 300/Charger/Magnum, Grand Cherokee, and Vans are all compatible with the Van UConnect module.

Having had many of these modules pass through my hands, I can say that your symptoms sound like a case of a bad module, which unfortunately I have been finding more and more often lately when I remove them at the yard and then test them.

Connecting and harness routing is up to you as long as you end up connecting the multiplexer to the back of the radio properly.
I'd say you probably have it done right since the "phone" icon is coming up.
There is no one way to run everything since all of these harnesses are coming from a newer van and weren't intended to be in an LH.
 #378410  by LUNAT1C

I was recently asked about factory UConnect for our black Special... is my understanding correct that I simply need to locate a 2001-2007 Town & Country with the correct mirror, then get the mirror, the harness connected to the mirror, and the module connected to the other end of the harness? Where might I find the module behind the dash? The car has an RB1 installed currently.

In spite of all the talk about UConnect, I'm clueless about it. Never had it in an LH (went with aftermarket Kenwood with a microphone attached near the upper left corner of the windshield), I thought it was fine in my Journey, and was all too happy to remove it from my Jeep in favor of the same setup in my Special, with the mic attached to the top of my CB radio overhead (too much wind noise on the windshield... brick in the wind...). Jeep had the same setup the 1st gen LX cars hard... which appears to be universally hated compared to the later and earlier versions.

I remember there being a few T&Cs in the yard end of last year. Might hit it up again and add it to the black cars summer list.
 #378412  by In-trepid

While not quite that easy, you are on the right track. The Uconnect is most plentiful in the 2005 - 2007 Town & Country. Because you already have a multi unit CD or DVD player in the car, you will need one extra piece not mentioned, but that you will find on a van equipped with a multi DVD player and Uconnect. So here is what you need. The Uconnect mirror, the cable from the mirror to the bottom of the center dash bezels (this is a bear to pull past the area where the passenger side A pillar and dash meet), the Mux box (a small silver box, the Uconnect box (a black box) and the cable from the Uconnect box to the back of the radio (this is a little different than the other cables used to plug into the radio). This is all at floor level behind the plastic bezel. Once you have all of these parts, it will be pretty self explanatory on how to hook it up.

If you don't want to mess with this, PM me. I have a few laying around and would be more than willing to discuss making some of my extra stuff into your stuff.
 #378413  by dcsally97

Yes, the mirror, harness and module is all you need.I I pulled one once from an '07 T & C and the module was located behind the floor cubby on that van. It was a pain to get the harness and the module, but it came out. If you wanted to stay stock looking, you could go with the GROM BT-3. Only downside, it won't work with the RB1.
 #380802  by LUNAT1C

So far I have the mirror, the harness from the mirror to the center stack area, and an RB1 pulled from a yard van. The car already has an RB1 and 6-disc changer (can't remember if its a DVD or CD changer, but I have multiple DVD changers).

When I pulled the harness, it was still connected to the vans DVD changer, but not to anything else (its radio was gone... the RB1 I found was in another van, without uConnect). Where is the uConnect module? I had left the antenna that was with that van since I couldn't get it off the roof, and figured it was the Sirius/GPS antenna. I can get that cheaply on eBay, or maybe even find one laying around in my basement.
 #380809  by 4thgenChryslerfam

Is the 6 disc DVD/CD necessary for the Uconnect system? I love having my storage cubby there as it houses my phone charger and my aux cord for my radio. I never listen to CD's so I didn't feel the need to ever get one. I changed to an RB1 and have a mirror given to me by a friend at a dealer.
 #387855  by sdugasjr

Chrysler1924 wrote: March 23rd, 2017, 5:40 pm Many thanks to Keith Jarvis, Bobby DelPonte & Justin Hopkins for their knowledge in this.

Recently, I began the process of working on adding the RB1, DVD Changer, UConnect & Sirius XM to my 2000 300M. While there is a lot of information around the forums in existing threads regarding these modifications, I thought I would try to put as much of what I needed to know in one place to hopefully make it easier for the next person in an updated thread.

Although any OEM Mopar RB1 radio unit should work in a 300M, not all RB1 models will support the UConnect (hands-free Bluetooth) functionality. If you have an RB1 where the voice navigation instructions come out from the front left speakers and NOT both sides, your RB1 unit should be able to handle UConnect without issue. Mine is date stamped October 2004 and it works, so Keith and I were thinking perhaps late 2004 models and newer RB1's would be just fine.

The RB1 units require the use of a navigation DVD to reference navigation data. The latest and final RB1 navigation disc is the "AL" model, and as of the date of this posting can still be purchased through club member JoeKD. It is worth noting that if you purchase a used RB1 (which, all of them are at this point), you should check to make sure the in-unit single disc player is in working order. Apparently, over time the heat from the RB1 can cause the disc drive to wear out causing the unit to not be able to read the navigational discs properly. Several members of this club have replaced the disc drive unit inside their RB1's with the disc drive unit from other stand-alone units with great success.

When the front dashboard trim panel is removed, there is space enough to mount the RB1 GPS antenna beside the sunlight sensor in the center of the dashboard. There is a recess to the left that is just the right size to adhere the antenna with some double-stick tape and run the cable down into the dashboard toward the center console. To remove the front dashboard trim panel, both A-pillar trim pieces must be removed.

I got the whole SiriusXM setup out of a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country [RS platform, 4th generation minivan] and it includes two control modules (I believe one is technically called a receiver and the other a multiplexer, but I could be wrong here), the satellite antenna, and the antenna's cable. It should be noted that depending on the year of the vehicle you pull the equipment from, you may get a satellite multiplexer box that has TWO antenna plugs, or one that has only one. Apparently, the 2006-2007 models utilize the single plug design and the years prior use the two plug design. Unfortunately, the satellite antennas required for these boxes are NOT the same part. One antenna has two wires coming out of it, and the other just one. Therefore, make sure you get the correct antenna for whichever box you utilize. In the minivans, the front of the headliner must be loosened in order to gain access to the bolt that holds the externally-mounted satellite antenna to the roof. You will also need to remove the passenger side A-pillar grip handle and then the A-pillar trim to begin removing the antenna wire.

Although similar in appearance, the UConnect modules used in the Chrysler Pacifica crossovers and other newer Mopar vehicles will NOT function in an LH car. The "bus" by which the modules communicate is different from what the LH cars utilize and will therefore not work. So if you want to find parts to do this modification, they must be pulled out of a 4th Generation Minivan, RS platform which was 2001-2007 model years.

To activate SiriusXM satellite radio service, you must provide the radio unit's ID or "ESN" number. Once everything is hooked up properly, power on the radio and tap the CD/AUX button on the RB1 to enter Satellite mode. Once there, press the "CANCEL" button 4 times after which the ESN of the unit will display. I'd advise writing this number down and keeping it somewhere where you can find it later if need be.

To ensure proper fitment of the CD/DVD 6-disc changer unit in the 300M, the plastic mounting tabs on either side of the faceplate must be carefully cut off in order to allow the unit to sit far enough back in the console to allow the center stack trim piece to secure over it.

**Edit: As I have more time, I will continue to edit this post with more information.
Am I supposed to cut the tabs off of the 6 disc completely? Or just a small portion of them.