hope everyone has a good new year.
FalKen, FIREM, LUNAT1C liked this
 #389911  by FIREM

Safe, Healthy, Happy New Year to all.
Safe travels to anyone visiting family
 #389912  by M-Pressive

Happy New Year everyone!
 #389917  by LUNAT1C

Happy new year indeed! First day back to work since the 23rd... having a rough time remembering where the office is... who my supervisor is... what I do for a living... Same routine every year. :lol:
 #389919  by First Lady

Robert!! I suffer severely with the same thing…what do I do for a living again?!

Back to work tomorrow after 11 off. You hear that?! Yes, it me whining!!!!
 #389927  by In-trepid

I won't have that problem. I have decided to officially retire as of the first of the year. I can still sell real estate as I will have a license, but I won't be pursuing new business and will be referring out any business that I might receive from previous customers. I have actually started this a bit with Covid, but now it is official. I will start drawing Social Security and my pension. Just more time to work on my various cars!
TrepKing95, LUNAT1C, sdugasjr and 1 others liked this
 #389928  by FIREM

Congrats John and welcome to the perpetual Saturday club!!!
Tough job these days figuring out IF you want to do anything LOL
TrepKing95 liked this
 #389930  by 00R/T

Happy New Year all!

My holiday break was not entirely what I hoped. I was intending to meet up with the SC contingent while visiting my parents, but a quarantine situation (thankfully false alarm) put the damper on that. Then I got caught up in that I-95 closure in VA and getting home was an epic ordeal. But, I’m finally back in one piece and have to figure out how to go back to work after being off for close to a month.
 #389931  by FIREM

Good to hear all is finally well!
We managed to miss the 95 debacle.
Catch you next time you come down south.
TrepKing95 liked this
 #389932  by 00R/T

FIREM wrote:Good to hear all is finally well!
I’ll be there this year for sure, and hopefully it’ll be because there is a newly built house sitting here. Image

#389933  by sparky99

Happy New Year everyone! I'm late to the party as usual these days... I was off for 11 days as well and it was very refreshing. I think I could use 11 more days, but I gotta pay bills somehow.
 #389934  by First Lady

Congrats John - that's exciting!! And ice to ease into it!

Steve - sorry we missed you!! You purchased a lot and are building?! Tell me more!!!!

I'm thankful I don't have to work a full 5 day work week for a few...let's say I'm easing into the new year!
 #389942  by FIREM

00R/T wrote: January 5th, 2022, 6:25 pm
I’ll be there this year for sure, and hopefully it’ll be because there is a newly built house sitting here. Image

I'm guessing another "New Englander" is going to be come a "Southerner"
Congrats, if its local and you want pics and updates let me know!
 #389943  by 00R/T

So, as Bob can attest, they’re building like mad in Horry county. It’s pretty much impossible to find a lot for sale. Aside from the big developers putting in huge developments like where my parents live (which are not for me), you have smaller companies buying up parcels in more rural areas. Even when individual lots come up, they rarely hit the MLS because a contractor with connections will scoop it up and build a single house.

The lot I found is owned by a small real estate broker whose family is a custom home builder. He scoops up nice lots and then they build a semi-spec house on them. It’s not exactly the situation I wanted, but this lot they weren’t going to start building on for a while and are willing to make custom changes to what they planned on doing to fit what I want. So, we’re going back and forth on what all that is going to cost and figuring out if the lot/county will allow for what I want to do. The major thing is putting the garage doors on the side of the house so the driveway will butt up against the back yard and allow me to build a large shop there. What’s driving this path for me is the lot. It’s 1.5AC, has trees all around for privacy, is in a dry location with public sewer/water and (soon) fiber internet. There’s no HOA and it’s in a fairly rural area, but it’s not that far from civilization and is surrounded by newer, nice houses. It’s the best compromise of everything I want and as they say, location, location, location.

I’m hoping that within the week I’ll know if we can proceed or not. This is a house under construction that’s sold but that I was able to walk through. It’s had the same garage modification that I want. Mine will look basically like this from the front, other than colors/finishes.

#389944  by 00R/T

FIREM wrote:
00R/T wrote: January 5th, 2022, 6:25 pm

I'm guessing another "New Englander" is going to be come a "Southerner"
Congrats, if its local and you want pics and updates let me know!
That’s the hope. It should be about a half hour from you. If you take 905 from Conway up to 66 it’s in Loris before you get to Longs.
 #389945  by First Lady

Awesome Steve!!!!!!! I can't wait to hear and will keep my fingers crossed for you that it works out. We've been in similar conversations a handful of times and not been able to make anything work for what we're willing to spend. Super excited to have another faMily here!!!!!

Anthony's, you next?!?!?!?!?!?!?
 #389947  by hrmwrm

In-trepid wrote: January 4th, 2022, 2:18 pm I won't have that problem. I have decided to officially retire as of the first of the year. I can still sell real estate as I will have a license, but I won't be pursuing new business and will be referring out any business that I might receive from previous customers. I have actually started this a bit with Covid, but now it is official. I will start drawing Social Security and my pension. Just more time to work on my various cars!
i went for retirement with covids beginnings.
gave me time to rehabilitate my newest addition to my family.
took time and special care to figure out all her little problems, but she's the most loving lap cat ever.

i keep my uncles old stuff working, but otherwise do nothing in my field anymore.
nice not having to leave the house in -20c and colder days.
make like a bear and hibernate.
legal weed makes it better. :lol:
 #389997  by LUNAT1C

Congrats Steve and John! Harvey, too!

Very curious to see how things pan out for your new house, Steve. I find myself wishing I could simply stay remote and move our roots south away from the cold (mid 30s yesterday felt wonderful after a few days of single digits!). Sometimes hitting the Google's to see what folks have to say about various places to live in SC. It's not a rush thing since we don't want to move out of the house we JUST bought almost two years ago and Indeed's job search algorithm hasn't shown me much yet, but it might if I expand the search to more of SC, probably closer to some NC city suburbs.

Hopefully not for a while yet, but heading south I think will become a necessity as my parents in south FL are only getting older. I'll be 35 soon, retirement is still likely 30+ years away. :lol:
 #390002  by 00R/T

LUNAT1C wrote:Congrats Steve and John! Harvey, too!

Very curious to see how things pan out for your new house, Steve. I find myself wishing I could simply stay remote and move our roots south away from the cold (mid 30s yesterday felt wonderful after a few days of single digits!). Sometimes hitting the Google's to see what folks have to say about various places to live in SC. It's not a rush thing since we don't want to move out of the house we JUST bought almost two years ago and Indeed's job search algorithm hasn't shown me much yet, but it might if I expand the search to more of SC, probably closer to some NC city suburbs.

Hopefully not for a while yet, but heading south I think will become a necessity as my parents in south FL are only getting older. I'll be 35 soon, retirement is still likely 30+ years away. :lol:
I hear you! I’ve only been in my house 4 years next month and was planning on being here for a while, but things change. My parents moving to SC is the big motivating factor for me.

For now, I think I’m going to abandon this particular house. I just get an uneasy feeling about the builder/seller and I’m trusting my gut. In parallel with this whole thing I happened to meet someone unexpectedly and that has escalated very quickly, so that curveball also makes me want to pump the brakes a bit. We’ll see what happens!
 #390010  by First Lady

Good idea listening to your gut on such a large purchase!!! If it’s not right, it won’t ever be!

And yay, what an exciting reason to consider staying!!!

I was close to leaving MA right before meeting Keith…the rest is history!!! <3