• General Discussions about the 300M and other LHs
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M and other LHs

Moderator: Moderators

#390964  by monte4

Looks fantastic! :bravo
 #391006  by Sneke_Eyez

This morning I woke up and replaced my front brake rotors and pads on the Special.
I also freshened my calipers and painted my spindles.

I used Wagner coated rotors and Wagner Thermo Quiet Ceramic pads as I usually have done.
The previous owner had the front brakes done at some point before I bought the car, but the rotors rusted, then the metal started to almost peel off the back of them in little sections, which really messed up the pads.

I've never quite seen rust like this before:

Hoping for better luck with these as I've had good luck with Wagner's other products but I'm not sure if I've used their rotors.

It had been a while since I'd really wrenched on a car and it felt good to do some car work - and save myself the money I know it would have cost me for a brake job otherwise!
charliebues liked this
 #391072  by charliebues

Got my 12 disc CD changer installed last night. My first idea was to make it fit into the center console, but I was not brave enough. The last car, 2013 Dodge Dart, had a glove box with enough room for a perfect fit. No joke, it was almost like it was made for my exact setup. With 2 mags, I'll get to carry 24 CDs. It's 2022 and I get my kicks by how many CDs I can carry lol. Just need to velcro the controller somewhere and put the glove box back in (because the FM transmitter fit well behind the glove box). Hope everyone had a great weekend, looking forward to participating at Carlisle this year instead of just spectating.
Sneke_Eyez liked this
 #391276  by Sneke_Eyez

This weekend starts my Carlisle prep!
I have the cars here, nothing is disassembled from being painted, which is a nice change over the last several years!

For that reason, my lists are relatively small:

Special:
Reseal passenger headlight.
Polish both headlights.
Change oil.
Repair dash rattle when the AC/Heat is on the foot setting.
Detail Interior and Exterior including wax and polish.

Intrepid:
Change Oil.
Rotate Tires.
Check Front Wheel Bearing.
Wash and detail car inside and out.

I've got two weekends to do this, so I should be ok!
 #391278  by StealthM

In the same boat here Ryan. haven't touched the car since Myrtle Beach except for a couple of baths. this week starts a couple new mods and buttoning down some old ones... nothing better then waiting until the last minute.
 #391285  by LUNAT1C

Y'all with your short lists... I'm doing lots of painting and clearing today, and lots of relay center building, and trying to finish my backseat. And oil change + tire rotation. That's a third of what I need to do. :roll:

Started steering wheel leather and headlight planning last night.
 #391287  by LUNAT1C

One step closer. Still not done though.
PXL_20220702_230100389.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #391326  by LUNAT1C

While waiting for things to cure I noticed the new relay cover had lots of rough surfaces around the sides. I wet sanded it, and gave it a heavy coat of clear.

Then today was maintenance day. Tire rotation, oil change, new stabilizer bar links. Used a Mopar oil filter instead of Purolator for the first time since the O'Reilley's up the street had them in stock. Links were Moog from the parts stash.

Tire rotation was just your average run of the mill job. Set each wheel up on my motorcycle rollers, doused everything in P&S Brake Buster and scrubbed away. Once dried, I applied Blackfire SiO2 wheel seal to everything I could get to, and Chemical Guys interior/exterior UV dressing to the inside of each tire. CG isn't really good for much, might as well burn through the chemicals I bought at Detail Garage to try on all the dirty stuff.

Before putting them on I cleaned each wheel arch liner and strut with Brake Buster, and followed with Meguiars X-Press Spray Wax on the liners, strut bodies, springs. Darkened things up a bit and should make them easier to clean at Carlisle when it inevitably rains on the way down.

All standard tire rotation stuff... Right?!
PXL_20220704_211012235.jpg
3 of the 4 are back on. Tomorrow I'll get a plastic rivet gun to replace a loose rivet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EasyRider300M liked this
 #391340  by Sneke_Eyez

Some list progress!
As usual, once you dive into a job, you find that your plans have to evolve.
This weekend I determined that my Special headlight lenses were too far gone and that my rattling dash issue was due to a bad bearing in the blower motor.

Special:
Reseal passenger headlight. (Removed headlight, found about 5 ounces of water in there!)
Polish both headlights. (Decided to scrap the lenses instead, they are just too pitted.)
Repair dash rattle when the AC/Heat is on the foot setting I determined the blower motor had a bad bearing. I replaced it with the like new blower motor from my parts car.
Detail Exterior including clay, polish, and wax.
Rebuild Headlights with New Lenses. - Now waiting on new headlights to arrive from which I will use lenses. "Cheap" aftermarket headlights have almost doubled in price since the last time I bought them!
Change oil. - I have acquired the oil, a good first step. :D
Detail Interior.
Wax wheels.

Intrepid:
Change Oil.
Rotate Tires and detail wheels.
Wash and detail car inside and out.

Down to one weekend now, and I have plans on Sunday, so I'm getting a little nervous!
I might try to detail the interior of the Special one night this week. We'll see.
 #391345  by KxWarrior

Intrepids been on the backburner this year with retiring Sarahs car from driver, fixing the charger and getting the durango back up to snuff. Really feeling the panic set in on that car. Down to one weekend left, and I work half of it. So hoping I can get all the work done in 3 days. It's not a lot of work, but it's a lot of *work* if that makes sense.

But then again would it be Carlisle week without having a little bit of stress? 8)
LUNAT1C, Sneke_Eyez liked this
 #391356  by LUNAT1C

KxWarrior wrote: July 6th, 2022, 7:20 am Intrepids been on the backburner this year with retiring Sarahs car from driver, fixing the charger and getting the durango back up to snuff. Really feeling the panic set in on that car. Down to one weekend left, and I work half of it. So hoping I can get all the work done in 3 days. It's not a lot of work, but it's a lot of *work* if that makes sense.

But then again would it be Carlisle week without having a little bit of stress? 8)
It's that fun game every where you wonder if that feeling deep in your stomach is excitement to get to Carlisle, or that sinking dread that "OMG I'm not going to be ready" and your spouse wonders if you've skipped town or something, because you're in the garage or driveway every day. :lol:
Sneke_Eyez liked this
 #391365  by KxWarrior

She knows it's been eating at me. Between all the car stuff I've done this year I just feel kind of bad I put the one I care about on the backburner because none of my dailies were good to go

I'll get it done though. Helicoil, put everything back together. Run some new hose for the transmission cooler...button up and clean it and it's good to go.

It sounds so much easier typing it out. Haha
Sneke_Eyez liked this
 #391406  by First Lady

Started this morning with a wash of the Charger, trimmed a few plants outside, and then started working on the second set of mirror covers I need to make before we leave while I waited for Keith to come home (His boss was in town on vacation and they met for coffee). The fabric store is out of the vinyl we used so I'm having to put the OG one back together for the time being. It won't be pretty but it will be on.

When Keith got home we went out to the garage and...

- washed the Blue car
- washed John's car
- waxed the new Special wheels for Johns car (they're freaking amazing!!!!)
- clay barred my car
- vacuumed John's car
- vacuumed the Blue car
- carpet washed the floor mats for both cars
- washed door jams and behind the molding on Blue car
- taped off the Blue car for buffing tomorrow
- cleaned the windshield of John's car
- installed chrome plenum brackets on John's car
- stored bumpers from Waikel in the attic
- and sweated A LOT!!!!!!

Tomorrow we will buff the Blue car, clean glass, pull wheels to clean, and get Johns new wheels ready for mounting.
Sneke_Eyez liked this
 #391409  by LUNAT1C

So glad I fully detailed the wheels and tires and wheel arches last weekend. I got a late start today.

Washed the car, including using my new undercarriage sprayer under the engine and trans. Must have cleared some old grease out, as the water came out rainbowy.

Then I stuck it center in the garage and got to work.

- used a prep spray to remove any old wax and clean any water drips
- went around the fascia cleaning bug stains and tar spots
- applied two coats of Ceramic/graphene hybrid paste wax
- vacuumed the interior
- cleaned the door panels, console, dash
- applied 303 to the dash and plastics
- cleaned seats with leather cleaner, and treated with leather moisturizer, trying to use up my chemical guys products
- cleaned the windows - outside only since the tint is new
- applied xpress spray wax to windows
-dressed tires for the trip with chemical guys natural shine, Meguiars hyper dressing will go on at the show field

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get the last coat of clear on the plenum and give it a few days to cure. Also need to get the Durango up on my ramps to check and tighten the oil filter and fumoto valve to address a couple oil drips.

During the week I'll need to take care of the jambs, trunk, pack my things, and fix my steering wheel and door trim.
First Lady liked this
 #391413  by Sneke_Eyez

Yesterday, with Jimmy's help, I crossed off some items from my list:

Special:
Rebuild Headlights with New Lenses.
Change oil.

Intrepid:
Change Oil.
Rotate Tires.

Today I attended a local car show which I've never been able to attend before as it is usually during Carlisle!
It was a great show and I'm glad I went. Beautiful day for it, low 80s but a great breeze!

Now (that it's late afternoon) I'm headed out to do the following:

Special:
Vacuum Interior.
Detail interior.
Wash windows.
Wash car.
Wax wheels.

Intrepid:
Wash car.
Spray wax car.
Vacuum interior.
Wax wheels.

Parts special:
Remove trunk latch.
Remove passenger seat and disassemble.
Check and remove door seals.
Clean console lid.

The remaining items I have earmarked for Wednesday will be:
Pack the cars.
Install new headlights in Special.
Rain-X Special and Intrepid windows.
Put on the Carlisle stickers.

Hopefully I can get to most of the things on this list today - gotta get outside as daylight is burning!
First Lady liked this
 #391414  by LUNAT1C

I'm in a weird spot. Several items I wanted to do won't happen for various reasons, mainly wanting to take my time with them rather than rush. I put on two coats of clear on the plenum and will let it cure until Wednesday night, install then. Need to polish and install relay cover, fix carbon vinyl interior trim, clean front OEM floor mats, and pack. I'm usually burning out this week, glad I'm choosing not to.

I had time to get the Durango up on ramps to check out the oil drip... Filter was loose, hand tightened it again. Also took the time to use tarminater on the lip since the drive through Canada and New England a few weeks ago put little spots on the edge of the lip under the mask. Compounded, polished, and put spray wax on it. Looks 99% better and my other half is happy.
Sneke_Eyez liked this
 #391415  by First Lady

Our morning started as continued consultants to our wonderful neighbor across the street who is engineering a way to get his dog to ride comfortably with him in his Corvette. He's has the passenger seat removed and Keith helped him locate a soft sided not metal cage, cage (think one of those popup laundry type baskets). He's building a platform to bring it up a bit and make it easily to set on top of the seat tracks.

Had a window to mow so we did the entire yard including weed whacking, edging, pulling weeds, and blowing.

Cleaned the pool post mow and decided to use it quickly as it felt over 100 with the heat index and we did the one thing we say you don't do here...mow at noon.

Finally made it out to the garage and while Keith started the first round of buffing on the blue car, I applied two rounds of Zaino to John's. Seriously, the bags under my eyes were sweating!! During the second coat, a FedEx truck came down our street to deliver to the house just past ours and took out our mailbox!! Literally just tore it off the post!! He was mortified and we'll need a new one. Probably wrecked his day more than ours! Once complete, I jumped in to remove the second and third rounds that Keith was putting on the blue car. He did an amazing job!! The paint looks wonderful and there's a lot of me that wants to keep it in the garage bubble that it's in. He's successfully given himself blisters from so many hours with the buffer in hand. Called it quits about 8pm to come in to laundry - I literally wore 5 different shirts and 5 different headbands today due to all the sweat!, type this up, and prep for a few interviews tomorrow.

Tomorrow the mobile guys is coming to put tires on John's new wheels and we need to go purchase some wax to put on my car - there's no way we were leaving this afternoon as it poured rain and all cars were just washed yesterday - yes, we're those people! Hope to get two coats of wax on my car tomorrow and maybe John's new wheels on. The best of what's coming off will go into my trunk as a spare as we took mine to chrome for him due to the condition. We will clean wheel wells while making the change over. And a quick clean of the glass will wrap up his car!

I also need to finish the second set of mirror covers, plan our travel (maybe trying to spend a night in WV on the way there), and ensure we have everything ready for the event itself before Wednesday afternoon.
LUNAT1C, Sneke_Eyez liked this
 #391416  by LUNAT1C

Final two coats of clear are on, door trim will be fixed tonight (2 down 2 to go, dinoc is definitely a better wrap material). Plenum is curing downstairs. Unfortunately the repair area I had to do is very obvious. Nothing I can do about it without spraying more basecoat and then clearing again.

Durango will be out of the garage tomorrow night, so I'll do the steering wheel then as well as the door jamb.

May also install my painted door strikers and hardware. I put caliper paint on them to hopefully have some durability.
 #391417  by Sneke_Eyez

Accomplished a few things yesterday, but not nearly enough!

Special:
Vacuum Interior.
Clean interior.
Wash windows.

Intrepid:
Wash car.
Vacuum interior.

That leaves me with the following between now and Wednesday evening:

Special:
Install headlights.
Clean and condition leather.
Wash car.
Wax wheels.
Rain-X.
Put on Carlisle sticker.
Pack with parts from the parts Special.

Intrepid:
Clean interior.
Clean and condition leather.
Wash windows.
Wax wheels.
Install Carlisle Sticker.
Rain-X.

Parts Special:
Remove trunk latch.
Remove passenger seat and disassemble.
Check and remove door seals.
Clean console lid.

Can I get it all done? Who knows!
 #391422  by LUNAT1C

I wrapped up my door trim last night (get it? wrapped up? I'm here all week!). Tonight is the steering wheel and shifter trim. May or may not just put in my chrome shifter that's been in the trunk since last fall, not sure.

While washing the car Saturday I must have been far too aggressive drying under the hood... one of the struts popped off the fender and the clip 86'd right on out. They're a few years old, so I figured it didn't hurt to get a new set of hood and trunk struts. I'll keep the old ones around in my "used spare parts" bin (has my OG alternator, OG timing belt tensioner, and the water pump I just took out), put on the new ones at some point before we leave.

I had some time today, so I tinkered with some new headlight parts. Already took care of the unit painting. Got the last of the components and hardware late last week, so I mounted the new demon eyes on one set. The other set I figured out today without too much modification. This new set is more difficult because I don't think demon eyes were in mind when the units were designed, no opening in the lens holder, but it still has H1 mounting points if the user chose to mount the units that way, which at least gave me an easy mounting point after cutting open the lens holders and making reliefs in the holders for the demon eye brackets. Little bit more cutting to do on shroud adapters and the shrouds for the heat sinks, assuming the steering wheel goes well tonight I think I open up one of the headlights and drill it out to mount the units.

*If* the drilling out and mounting goes as I hope it will, maybe the headlights will be swapped out Wednesday night. Maybe. I would love to, but a few days for a complete retrofit is asking a lot.