• 100K Water Pump And Timing Belt Thread Q&A

• General Discussions about the 300M
25th Anniversary LH Platform Celebration

Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#190954  by 300maximilien
 April 28th, 2009, 10:34 am
Originally I started this to get questions answered for myself Lately though I have seen many questions about this service as well as parts needed. So I figured this should be stickied to help others find info they need. If you have anything to add to this topic please feel free to post your information here as well.

Well the fun is soon to begin for me. And I am sure to have a few questions about things so I figured I would start this thread.

First off are a few questions about the parts and where they were made.

Gat K060529 Serp Belt made in the USA
Gat 38040 Idler Pulle " "
Gat 22421 Upper Hose " "
Gat 22420 Lower Hose " "
Gat 7550 Acces Belt " "
Gat T41084 Tim Belt Pull made in Korea
Gat T295 Timing Belt made in Japan
Gat 38042 Idler Pull made in Canada
GaW 41079 Water Pump Made in CHINA! (WHATS UP WITH THAT?)

I am concerned with the made in China Water Pump. I thought the Gates was US made? It also has a metal impeller not plastic. Should I look for a USA made one? Also what about this Timing belt pulley being made in Korea? Should I also look for a USA made one of these?

Thoughts?

Added 3/29/10
FIREM wrote:Guess this is the place to put this...
OEM water pump removed from 02 M @90k. (rknapp)
Disassembled to show all parts. If you purchase a "reman" pump the body casting and pulley are the only parts reused. Casting marks/sampings may may not be reliable indicators to ID reman pumps.
Note the trace stain around the "weep hole" Timing belt dust.
Shaft/ bearing asseembly is not servicable, replaced as one part. Unitized seal is a carbon seal face, spring loaded to a ceramic face, again one part. The plastic impeller (broke it during disassembly) was bonded to the ring still stuck on the shaft.
Close up of the seal area shows a build up of dried out coolant, normal for the age/miles.
"Way back when" I started in this field, I did rebuild water pumps on heavy duty trucks. Seal installed height or" crush" was the most critical thing during assembly. Fixtures/gauge blocks assured proper install.
Most if not all the leakers returned had seal issued from running dry. 30 seconds dry will burn the seal face, causing leaks.
Air bubbles in the system will cause a dry run condition also. I wonder how many of the water pump "problems" are not manufacturer issues, rather user/installer issues???

#190955  by Jason
 April 28th, 2009, 10:41 am
Wow I am surprised to read that the water pump was made in China!

Craig have u tried mopardiscountdirect.com ??? They have everything OEM w/33% off MSRP

#190962  by tinman
 April 28th, 2009, 11:29 am
From what I remember, which is less and less these days, I thought we should only get an OEM h2o pump. As far as a metal impeller goes, no problem there. They all seem to last 100k whether plastic or metal, so all we need is 100k of life and they get replaced anyway.

#190964  by Jason
 April 28th, 2009, 11:35 am
tinman wrote:From what I remember, which is less and less these days, I thought we should only get an OEM h2o pump. As far as a metal impeller goes, no problem there. They all seem to last 100k whether plastic or metal, so all we need is 100k of life and they get replaced anyway.
Yeah I agree w/Paul I would of gone OEM w/the water pump

#190965  by 2001M
 April 28th, 2009, 11:53 am
And that water pump must be pretty damn heavy since it is probably made of 100% lead!
:lol:

#190966  by tinman
 April 28th, 2009, 12:07 pm
2001M wrote:And that water pump must be pretty damn heavy since it is probably made of 100% lead!
Radioactive waste. :help

#190969  by Timbo
 April 28th, 2009, 12:44 pm
It has been a few years since my timing belt was done but if I recall the OEM water pump was $14.

#190972  by Bill Putney
 April 28th, 2009, 1:08 pm
2001M wrote:And that water pump must be pretty damn heavy since it is probably made of 100% lead!
Probably balanced out by the high MelamineÔäó content.

#190987  by Bill Putney
 April 28th, 2009, 4:12 pm
Timbo wrote:It has been a few years since my timing belt was done but if I recall the OEM water pump was $14.
Around $75 now even at deep discount. :)

#190993  by FIREM
 April 28th, 2009, 4:27 pm
Are the parts covered under the Mfg warranty? Usually Gates offers something, covering at least the part. As long as parts are genuine Gates or other reputable Mfg I had and would use them. In the Heavy Duty truck world there are "counterfit parts" raising havoc in the industry. They "look" like OEM but a good eye can spot them,kinda like a Roolex.....

#190998  by 300maximilien
 April 28th, 2009, 4:55 pm
Bill Putney wrote:
Timbo wrote:It has been a few years since my timing belt was done but if I recall the OEM water pump was $14.
Around $75 now even at deep discount. :)
Local Dealer $121
Moperdiscountpartsonline $73.03

#190999  by 300maximilien
 April 28th, 2009, 4:57 pm
tinman wrote:From what I remember, which is less and less these days, I thought we should only get an OEM h2o pump. As far as a metal impeller goes, no problem there. They all seem to last 100k whether plastic or metal, so all we need is 100k of life and they get replaced anyway.
The original OEM part has/had a white plastic impeller.

Many LHf people have had bad luck with aftermarket WP's with the metal impeller. Some have leaked in as little as 1000 miles after having the Job done. FYI the leak comes from the impeller not the housing or gasket

Here is a picture of a USA made Gates Pump

#191021  by grayslater
 April 28th, 2009, 6:46 pm
If I'm not mistaken, both times I've had the water pump changed, it was with a Gates product. Not to say that when I ordered my parts, they were made in China?? The 2000 had over 78k on the given water pump when sold and the 2004 now has 28K on the latest pump. No evidence of problems with either of them.

#191022  by 300maximilien
 April 28th, 2009, 6:55 pm
grayslater wrote:If I'm not mistaken, both times I've had the water pump changed, it was with a Gates product. Not to say that when I ordered my parts, they were made in China?? The 2000 had over 78k on the given water pump when sold and the 2004 now has 28K on the latest pump. No evidence of problems with either of them.
After lengthy talks with RockAuto and Gates I have found out that Gates just changed Suppliers about 3 months ago. So you can still find some USA ones out there, but they will be all gone soon.

#191026  by cloud 9
 April 28th, 2009, 7:16 pm
I used the metal one from Gates and have had no problems. Its been about 6 months now. FWIW