• Trans Problem, Code P1776

• General Discussions about the 300M
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#377907  by Stevelaz
 February 24th, 2019, 4:07 pm
Took my M out today to go to store and run a few errands. When i got back in and was on the way home i noticed something weird and the check engine light came on. I noticed the trans was not shifting and it seemed it was stuck in one of the higher gears. Coming to a stop it seemed it would not shift down. When i switched to auto shift it would not work and all the gears were circled on the dash. Had this issue all the way home, prob only 3-5 miles.

When i got home i hooked up the scanner and the first code was P0700, (Trans Control Sys Malfunction) yea, no kidding..... The next code was P1776 which was not in my scanner manual. Looked it up online and found Transmission "Control Switch Circuit is Out of Self-Test Range." whatever that means. After about 10 min i started it back up and the auto stick was now working. Took for a drive and it shifted fine in drive and in auto stick. However, when i try to clear the codes the engine light comes right back on with the same codes again. Seem like i cannot erase them. Im going to start researching but Any help on this problem would be appreciated! Thanks!
 #377912  by Stevelaz
 February 25th, 2019, 10:10 am
Ok, I did a lot of research on this last night and found that the problem is most likely the shift solenoid. I also saw that i could be the valve body, or a combination of both. As of now it seen to be shifting normal, but the codes will not clear with my scanner...... Any other thought would be appreciated as to if i should just replace the shift solenoid or both that and valve body.
Also why why wont the codes clear? Thanks!
 #377913  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 25th, 2019, 10:59 am
Steve, many of us have faced 1776 - and it is almost always the shift solenoid, but when you are in there, you should do the valve body as well or else you'll likely be doing the job again to replace that shortly thereafter.
I would not replace one without replacing the other as well.

The codes likely won't clear because the problem is there and the car continues to see it. I bet if you check pending codes, you'll see that one hanging there.
Stevelaz liked this
 #377938  by FIREM
 February 26th, 2019, 7:44 am
Knowledgebase is one of the greatest assets of this club !
Long read but good information here : viewtopic.php?f=111&t=29876
Personally I have swapped only the solenoid pack with a reman. As far as the valve body, methodically disassembled, cleaned and sterilized them and reinstalled wig success on both my M's.
 #377940  by Stevelaz
 February 26th, 2019, 8:40 am
FIREM wrote: February 26th, 2019, 7:44 am Knowledgebase is one of the greatest assets of this club !
Long read but good information here : viewtopic.php?f=111&t=29876
Personally I have swapped only the solenoid pack with a reman. As far as the valve body, methodically disassembled, cleaned and sterilized them and reinstalled wig success on both my M's.
Thanks. I did a lot of research the other night after it happened and saw all the posts. Great information! Im taking it tomorrow to a trans shop i know of. He first said all i need is the solenoid pack but Im having both replaced. not much more to do the valve body to. and the price is pretty good.

The only thing is it has been shifting fine since it happened. I was wondering if it would be ok for a while, but not sure i want to take the chance. I also cannot get the codes to erase. I was thinking my scanner is messed up since i left it in the trunk this winter and the cold screwed it up. But maybe its because its still detecting a problem?
 #378008  by Stevelaz
 March 2nd, 2019, 8:36 am
Pick the car up yesterday morning. Had the valve body and shift solenoid replaced. So far so good, shifts great!