Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Greetings from Metro Detroit!

• A place for new and perspective members to get more information about the club.
Membership Banner

A place for new and perspective members to get more information about the club.

Moderator: Moderators

#379416  by ggariepy
 June 18th, 2019, 11:36 pm
Hello, everyone,
My name is Geoff, and I purchased a paid membership to the club a few days ago. I thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself.

Based in Sterling Heights, MI, I have been a Chrysler enthusiast for decades. My current vehicles are:
  • 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x4 with the 5.7L Hemi, 545RFE trans turning 3.92 axles, limited slip in the rear. With the 17 inch wheels, it is rated to tow 10,000 pounds. I drive this one, we bought it in 2013 off-lease. It now has around 77,000 miles. It's a hunter green two-tone with gray trim.
  • 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 4.0L. This is my wife's vehicle, and we have had it since sometime in 2011. It's right around 104K, and will need its timing belt soon. This one is black with a gray leather interior and most of the goodies. It's name is Pearl.
  • 1999 Chrysler 300M, 3.5L. This is the latest acquisition, and it is to be my 17 year old son's first car. (Dad will get to drive it plenty, however.) At 167K miles, it is the highest mileage vehicle I've ever owned, and it has its share of electrical gremlins and mechanical repairs needed. We've had it for about a month, and I am just now digging into the repairs. It is dark blue with a dark gray leather interior.
  • 1998 Chrysler Concorde LXi, 3.2L. This vehicle was purchased a month and a half ago when my daughter's 2004 Sebring was destroyed by a collision to its rear end as she sat at a stoplight. The force of the impact broke one of the vertebrae in her back, and she is still recovering. This Concorde is nearly *mint* -- it has lived its whole life here in southeast Michigan, yet has no visible rust anywhere, top, sides or bottom. It is a time capsule with just 114K miles. I spent about three weeks on maintenance, including the timing belt/water pump/tensioner pulley and tensioner, new transmission cooler, brakes all around, tires all around, lube oil and filter, automatic headlamps mod, swap of the cassette factory stereo for a combo CD/cassette factory unit, and various minor repairs such as decklid and hood support struts. As you can probably tell, I really LIKE this one. A lot! This one is Champagne (gold) with a tan leather interior.
The 300M and Concorde are not my first LH cars. I previously owned a 1998 Intrepid ES 3.2L in Champagne from roughly 2000 to 2007, and prior to that I had a 1996 Dodge Intrepid, base car with the 3.5L upgraded engine, in Angry Intrepid Teal.

So I've had a few LH cars, and I have loved them all, but this newest 300M is going to take some time to grow on me as I fix the terrible electrical hacks that previous owners have abused the car with. Right now I'm chasing a door ajar issue that the previous owner admitted he could not find himself. The interior is torn apart as I chase wires and check grounds. I have located at least one open circuit, but I am pretty sure there is more than one problem in play here.

As you might have guessed, I am a dedicated DIYer, and I have a fair amount of experience. I perform nearly all maintenance and repairs on my vehicles except for stuff that you just can't avoid having a high-end scanner for. I have even attempted home automatic transmission repair on a 1992 Plymouth Acclaim. (I lost interest in that project; it was a NA 2.5L that I swapped a 2.2L turbo into, only to discover that the transmission that came with the engine was junk. After the first rebuild didn't take, I was about halfway through the second when, gee whiz, an opportunity to own a boat came up. I dumped that Acclaim and never looked back!)

I am interested in many things, and capable of quite a few. I am a software developer by trade, writer by avocation, city Planning Commissioner, political blogger, dad and husband, homeowner, and amateur mechanic. I worked the early part of my career in the parts and service business and have a little formal education in mechanical repair. I am also a ham radio operator (KD8VAX), occasional homebrewer, geocacher, and avid reader.

Although I'm new around here, I've been working on Mopars since a very early age, and have about 35 years of DIY wrenching experience. I administrated the Mopar Mailing List for many years, participated frequently on rec.autos.makers.chrysler, and occasionally haunt places like Allpar, Jalopnik, and TTAC. The u-pull-it junkyard is one of my favorite places to go, and when I die I want to be cremated and have my ashes sprinkled in the Chrysler section. (And yes, I'm serious.)

I am hoping that the club lends me the occasional helping hand as I deal with an old, high mileage car, and I will be sure to try to return the favor.

Thanks for reading!
Null liked this
 #379419  by InfernoRedM
 June 19th, 2019, 6:24 am
Welcome to the club Geoff, and good luck with that M!
ggariepy liked this
 #379421  by FIREM
 June 19th, 2019, 7:25 am
Welcome Geoff ! Greatest resource for Chrysler LH cars on the planet. Loads of problem solving repairs documented in our Knowledgebase. Look around, use our search feature and enjoy!
ggariepy liked this
 #379424  by Sneke_Eyez
 June 19th, 2019, 8:35 am
Welcome to the Club, Geoff!
There is a TON of knowledge here on these forums and we are happy to help you sort through those electrical gremlins in your son's 300M!
You will fit in here quite nicely and it sounds like your experience with your vehicles will be valuable to us as well!
ggariepy liked this
 #379428  by M-Pressive
 June 19th, 2019, 9:27 am
Welcome to the club!
ggariepy liked this
 #379430  by LUNAT1C
 June 19th, 2019, 10:12 am
From a fellow Metro Detroiter, welcome! You're in the right place for all things LH.

We live in Berkley now a mile or so west of Woodward, but when I moved to Michigan 7 years ago (has it been that long already?), I lived in Sterling Heights for about two years at 16/Dequindre and then 15/Ryan.
ggariepy liked this
 #379434  by KxWarrior
 June 19th, 2019, 4:01 pm
Welcome to the Club!
 #379436  by ggariepy
 June 19th, 2019, 9:46 pm
LUNAT1C wrote: June 19th, 2019, 10:12 am From a fellow Metro Detroiter, welcome! You're in the right place for all things LH.

We live in Berkley now a mile or so west of Woodward, but when I moved to Michigan 7 years ago (has it been that long already?), I lived in Sterling Heights for about two years at 16/Dequindre and then 15/Ryan.
I live at 15 and Ryan! I can actually see the intersection from my dining room window. Glad to find out there's someone in the club not too far away.

I actually was a little worried that I wouldn't find much in the way of active forums still going on the LH cars. DodgeIntrepid.net is still around, but doesn't appear to get much traffic. I'm glad to find you guys are here, and from all appearances, still fairly active. It actually prompted me to vote with my wallet; I'm gonna need this resource. Thanks, everyone for the welcome!
 #379442  by LUNAT1C
 June 20th, 2019, 9:13 am
ggariepy wrote: June 19th, 2019, 9:46 pm I live at 15 and Ryan! I can actually see the intersection from my dining room window. Glad to find out there's someone in the club not too far away.

I actually was a little worried that I wouldn't find much in the way of active forums still going on the LH cars. DodgeIntrepid.net is still around, but doesn't appear to get much traffic. I'm glad to find you guys are here, and from all appearances, still fairly active. It actually prompted me to vote with my wallet; I'm gonna need this resource. Thanks, everyone for the welcome!
You must not be far from my old apartment, I lived at Shoal Creek. Has the intersection been rebuilt yet? I had to tip-toe through it in 2014 getting to work on Chicago Rd in my old Charger! Winter made it bearable with the packed snow. :lol:

At one time there were three forums. LHForums has since closed up, as it was not sustainable. Thankfully, the 300M Club's knowledgebase resource has helped us evolve from simply being a bunch of enthusiasts enjoying beautiful cruisers, to being indispensible to those needing to keep their Ms and Intrepids and Concordes going.

FYI, in a few weeks dozens of us are getting together in Carlisle, PA for the Carlisle Chrysler Nationals. Anyone who loves Chrysler products going back decades, through today, will be like a kid in a candy store. I'm heading out there in Luna on the morning of 7/11. You should consider it! We're celebrating 20 years of the 300M this year. Last year we celebrated 25 years of the LH platform.