• DRL - Daylight Running Lights

• LED, Color Changes, Custom Lenses, whatever
25th Anniversary LH Platform Celebration

Membership Banner

LED, Color Changes, Custom Lenses, whatever

Moderator: Moderators

#376566  by In-trepid
 November 15th, 2018, 9:38 am
Is anyone using the DRL feature on their LH vehicle. I ran across a module in my spare parts and am contemplating on installing it in one of my Specials. If my research is correct based on old threads, I know two things about the module. First the DRL feature doesn't work with the parking brake on (makes sense) and second, it appears to turn the high beams on at 1/2 normal intensity. There seems to be some concern as to how this may effect some high beam bulbs, but I have the stock Special headlights and in my estimation this shouldn't be a problem. Any pro or cons in using it?
 #376567  by M-Pressive
 November 15th, 2018, 12:47 pm
I have it in both of mine.

Black car has it unmodified.

M-Pressive has a modified version that keeps them on all the time. Even when the headlights are on.

They do work well, I don't see a downfall of using them.
 #376572  by dcsally97
 November 15th, 2018, 4:40 pm
Wishlist mod for me.
 #376578  by AndyPre
 November 16th, 2018, 4:35 am
Interesting mod. Especially, since driving with headlights on is a requirement where I am, and I don't want to burn out the Xenon headlights prematurely... will have to check that out.
M-Pressive liked this
 #376586  by In-trepid
 November 16th, 2018, 10:29 pm
If I remember correctly, all Canadian cars have the module installed as it is required in Canada. Most, if not all newer cars have some sort of lighting that comes on with the ignition. I'm just looking to be a bit safer and make sure that my understanding of how the DRL works is correct. I got my module out of a Chrysler Intrepid which is the Canadian model of the US Dodge Intrepid. If it works as I think it does, I'll be in the market for a couple more units for my other Specials.
 #376588  by KxWarrior
 November 17th, 2018, 5:47 am
^ you are correct on all fronts. I love my DRLs!
 #376614  by monte4
 November 19th, 2018, 4:47 pm
My M is a 2002 Canadian model with DRL. Never replaced a bulb yet although mine is not a Special.
 #376618  by FIREM
 November 19th, 2018, 8:00 pm
No problem with DRL's as they only run the high beam (halogen bulb) at a pulsed voltage to produce half light output. Even work with LED's in the high beams but does produce a slight flicker at times.
Funny that my wife's 08 Sebring does not have DRL's and can not add them. It is actually a BCM program that turns them on and a dealer will not do it unless it is a Canadian car.
 #376619  by FIREM
 November 19th, 2018, 8:00 pm
No problem with DRL's as they only run the high beam (halogen bulb) at a pulsed voltage to produce half light output. Even work with LED's in the high beams but does produce a slight flicker at times.
Funny that my wife's 08 Sebring does not have DRL's and can not add them. It is actually a BCM program that turns them on and a dealer will not do it unless it is a Canadian car.
 #376623  by LUNAT1C
 November 20th, 2018, 10:21 am
FIREM wrote: November 19th, 2018, 8:00 pm No problem with DRL's as they only run the high beam (halogen bulb) at a pulsed voltage to produce half light output. Even work with LED's in the high beams but does produce a slight flicker at times.
That's how my Journey was. I couldn't get high beams unless I had an inside man at the dealer. There was a salesman on the Journey forums (I believe he was also here when he owned an M, got a burnt orange Journey later on) who would add the sales code if you gave him the VIN, but then you needed to convince the your local dealer to flash the computer and turn it on. I never got around to it.

Only vehicle I've ever owned that had DRL was my Grand Prix, and I disabled it by unplugging the module in the dash after I installed a PnP HID kit (back in my wild and naive college freshman days). I thought about adding it to my blue car, but now I can't. If I did, it would run my shield solenoids at half power, which I suspect would make them run wonky and prematurely wear them out. No bueno. We've thought about adding it to the black car. Not sure on that yet.
 #376626  by FIREM
 November 20th, 2018, 11:15 am
GM started DRL’s in 92 as a safety item