Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • DLR module

• LED, Color Changes, Custom Lenses, whatever
Membership Banner

LED, Color Changes, Custom Lenses, whatever

Moderator: Moderators

#389176  by In-trepid

I'm trying to figure out some of the things associated with the DLR module on Special headlights. Having read the forum posts I'm under the following impression:
1. The DLR module lights the high beam lights at half intensity. It doesn't affect anything with the HID low beam lights.
2. The module is activated when the key is in the RUN mode.
3. All vehicles built for Canada, including Specials, have the the DRL module installed to comply with Canadian law.
4. This is easily retrofitted to any LH car, including Specials.
5. The DRL module works with LED high beam bulbs, but flicker may be noticeable.

I have three questions.
1. Is anyone running a DRL module on a Special headlight? Is there anything I should avoid or know about prior to this install?
2. I read about a modification to the DRL module by past club members. Can anyone fill me in on what this modification is for and what affect it has on operation?
3. Are there better, other alternatives for DLR other than the factory supplied module?
 #389179  by FIREM

In-trepid wrote: October 1st, 2021, 9:43 pm I'm trying to figure out some of the things associated with the DLR module on Special headlights. Having read the forum posts I'm under the following impression:
1. The DLR module lights the high beam lights at half intensity. It doesn't affect anything with the HID low beam lights. Correct
2. The module is activated when the key is in the RUN mode. Correct only Run, Park brake NOT set
3. All vehicles built for Canada, including Specials, have the the DRL module installed to comply with Canadian law. Yup
4. This is easily retrofitted to any LH car, including Specials. Plug & Play
5. The DRL module works with LED high beam bulbs, but flicker may be noticeable. Correct but virtually unnoticed

I have three questions.
1. Is anyone running a DRL module on a Special headlight? Is there anything I should avoid or know about prior to this install? Yes: No Problems Noted
2. I read about a modification to the DRL module by past club members. Can anyone fill me in on what this modification is for and what affect it has on operation? Link Below
3. Are there better, other alternatives for DLR other than the factory supplied module?Unknown
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=32705
 #389184  by M-Pressive

All of our specials have them. No issues at all with them.
 #389194  by In-trepid

Thanks Bob and Keith. Tomorrow all of my Specials will have them as well.
 #389198  by sparky99

I ran a modified DRL in the Green car and in the Intrepid. Absolutely no problems what so ever. Its an easy mod. The Green car had LED high beams and I never was able to notice any flicker. It was too fast for my eyes to catch. Now, if you record video, you will notice it, but its no problem.
 #389205  by In-trepid

I guess that I'm still a little fuzzy on what the modified DRL does. I'm assuming that when we say "modified" we mean the removal of pin 6. It appears from what I read that it lights both low beam and high beam lights at 1/2 level. It also seems like this could be an issue with the HID lights in the Special. What am I missing here or is the modified DRL only for standard headlights?
 #389206  by M-Pressive

High beams stay on when low beams come on.

Low beams are full strength. High beams stay at the same lower percentage. So all four lights are on at night. When you flash the highs they go to full strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #389207  by FIREM

Non modified the DRL’s turn off when the “low beams” are on. Mod allows DRls to stay on
 #389227  by LUNAT1C

I've never been interested in the factory DRL setup, so neither of our cars have it and I've never looked for it at yards even though I've seen a number of Canadian models there (Chrysler Intrepid, Chrysler Neon, etc.). If there was a simple way of redirecting which light the system turns on, so I could use a separate light source outside the headlight, then I might be interested. Never got around to researching it. The Grand Prix I had before my Special had DRLs that lit the main headlight bulbs (combo hi/lo bulbs) and unplugging it was one of my earliest "mods" on that car.

From seeing it on others cars with Special headlights and LED high beams, you'll have no issues. I've never noticed flickering. I understand it's directly plug and play.

For other DRL options, that depends on how much work you want to do. Luna has 1 set of dedicated DRLs and two more sets depending if I want them on or not. Dedicated set is the Remi mirror signal mod that features a separate set of white LEDs, with an ignition power wire off the power window circuit to turn them on when the key is in the run position. The other two sets are my demon eyes. My BT controller is programmed to turn them on as pure white when the car is turned on, but will only do so if I also activate my hard button under the steering wheel. I never bother with it because they're not bright enough in the daylight to be noticeable.

Remi mod can be done in a weekend, assuming you bought it from him when he had the initial run a few years ago. My demon eyes... you've had enough sets of lights apart that you know what you're doing, there is a set of demon eyes that are much brighter that I'll use in V3 of my custom headlights. "Weekendable" depends how good you are with wiring them up to the car to run on the ignition system.

Neither of my DRLs function the way factory does. Full power, and setting the parking brake will not shut them off. I'd have to run wires through the doors to try and make that work for the mirrors and I don't really want to do that with the dash in the way.

An easier (maybe) non-factory way would be to pick up a set of 6" long thin LED bars, all over fleaBay and Amazon, mount them anywhere you like (maybe in the two small inlets at the base of the Special fascia?) and wire them into the ignition-hot circuit. I don't believe there is an existing circuit in the engine bay. I ran a wire through the firewall when I made my auxiliary relay center harness for that purpose when I built a custom set of DRLs that took the place of my foglights for a couple of years (replaced those with LED projectors for newer Mopar vehicles).