Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Finally got me a truck!

• A place to talk about your non-LH current or former vehicles.
Membership Banner

A place to talk about your non-LH current or former vehicles.

Moderator: Moderators

#381885  by Sneke_Eyez
 January 15th, 2020, 10:32 am
Good luck on the starter rebuild, John.
Today is supposed to be in the 50s here in MA - then this weekend it is looking like some snow... of course I've gotta work today, but I'm off on Saturday.
beespecial liked this
 #381891  by beespecial
 January 15th, 2020, 2:51 pm
The starter is off and partially disassembled. Had to scrape 1 or 2 pounds of crud off of it since it is mounted in a spot that tends to trap and collect all that stuff and not slough it off. Right now it's on the bench soaking one of the posts in PB Blaster. It's the only real problem I've had so far but since my new parts aren't due until next week, I'll let it soak until it comes loose.
 #381893  by Mottman
 January 15th, 2020, 3:06 pm
Beespecial,

Look at it this way, even if you dump $250.00 a month into this truck
( or your 300M ) for 3 years straight, its still cheaper than buying or even
leasing a new truck. And you don't need full coverage insurance.
Of course its a very good idea to have a spare vehicle on the ready.
And maybe AAA.

My thoughts.
 #381901  by beespecial
 January 15th, 2020, 6:11 pm
Mottman wrote: January 15th, 2020, 3:06 pm Beespecial,

Look at it this way, even if you dump $250.00 a month into this truck
( or your 300M ) for 3 years straight, its still cheaper than buying or even
leasing a new truck. And you don't need full coverage insurance.
Of course its a very good idea to have a spare vehicle on the ready.
And maybe AAA.

My thoughts.
Right on Brian. Been a member of AAA for a long time and right now the M is the spare vehicle.
 #381902  by beespecial
 January 15th, 2020, 6:19 pm
I'm really glad I got started on this today. My intent was to dodge being out in a cold garage for a long time. Been there, done that, didn't like it. So, what happened today? My new parts arrived in the mail! Woo Hoo! Now the starter has been rebuilt and is ready to go back in the truck. There's a college basketball game on tonight that I want to see so installation will have to wait until tomorrow. Gonna be colder tomorrow but I think I can take it since the project is on the downhill run.
 #381904  by First Lady
 January 15th, 2020, 7:02 pm
Way to tackle it John!!
beespecial liked this
 #381918  by beespecial
 January 16th, 2020, 7:59 pm
Well, I took a swing at it and missed. Reinstalled the starter with new contacts and am still getting the same result. With the symptoms I'm seeing, I'm still convinced the problem lies with the starter and not with the ignition or a relay. (I swapped the starter relay and there was no change). I'm now inclined to think I just need to get a reman starter and be done with it. The upside is, I should be in and out with the new starter in record time now since I know what I'm up against to do the job. More upside is that it's the truck and not the M. From what I understand about pulling the starter from the M, it's a much more involved process.
 #381919  by In-trepid
 January 16th, 2020, 8:10 pm
Just get a starter from the yard!
 #381920  by beespecial
 January 16th, 2020, 8:15 pm
In-trepid wrote: January 16th, 2020, 8:10 pm Just get a starter from the yard!
If it was summer that's exactly what I'd be doing. Lying on the ground in a junkyard in January just ain't in the plan.
 #381921  by M-Pressive
 January 16th, 2020, 8:51 pm
Starter in the M is terrible. Have to undo the mounts and raise the engine.

Good luck getting the new one installed!
 #381929  by LUNAT1C
 January 17th, 2020, 4:01 pm
Starter is one thing I dread having to do in either of the Ms. Then again, I dreaded doing the timing belt and evap core as well. Blue car has had both done and black car got the belt in the last few years... black needs the core next summer.

Still hoping both starters continue to work well for a long time!
 #381931  by beespecial
 January 17th, 2020, 4:52 pm
As I get older I'm finding that just getting started on doing a repair is as hard as doing the job itself.
300GEM liked this
 #381932  by In-trepid
 January 17th, 2020, 6:21 pm
I kind of feel that way too, John. I love to work with others, go to the yard, and give advice or troubleshoot. Getting started on a project by myself is tough unless it is in the month or so before Carlisle. Then there is a sense of urgency and a bit of euphoria that kicks in to get the job done. I wish I had the group like the guys in Boston. That makes working on thing fun!
beespecial liked this
 #381933  by beespecial
 January 17th, 2020, 6:50 pm
Yeah, I really enjoyed having you and Amber here to swap out her dash.
 #381944  by First Lady
 January 19th, 2020, 11:22 am
beespecial wrote:As I get older I'm finding that just getting started on doing a repair is as hard as doing the job itself.
Thats not an old thing... we suffer from the getting started hump too!!!

Good luck!!