Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Finally got me a truck!

• A place to talk about your non-LH current or former vehicles.
Membership Banner

A place to talk about your non-LH current or former vehicles.

Moderator: Moderators

#381971  by Sneke_Eyez
 January 21st, 2020, 1:58 pm
In-trepid wrote: January 17th, 2020, 6:21 pm I kind of feel that way too, John. I love to work with others, go to the yard, and give advice or troubleshoot. Getting started on a project by myself is tough unless it is in the month or so before Carlisle. Then there is a sense of urgency and a bit of euphoria that kicks in to get the job done. I wish I had the group like the guys in Boston. That makes working on thing fun!
I think we all suffer from this, honestly.
If I have a job to do by myself it seems like a miserable task.
However, working with any of the people from the Club makes getting jobs done a lot easier.
Even if I have just one additional set of hands, two people can get a job done in half the time!
I am reminded of this constantly when I look back at the jobs I've accomplished with the help of the friends I've made in this Club - from plasti-dipping cladding in the rain to swapping oil pans in the freezing cold to numerous timing belt and water pump jobs to upgrading the Intrepid to make the motor think it was a 300M Special and 10,000 jobs in between, I have been fortunate enough to have the support of the great members of this Club that live around me.
Plus, I really enjoy the experiences I have working on others members cars as well and they give me experience I otherwise wouldn't have and that later gives me the confidence to do the job on my own car(s).

If I didn't have them around me, I'm not sure I would have become 1/2 or even 1/3 of the (shade tree) mechanic that I am.
beespecial liked this
 #381979  by LUNAT1C
 January 21st, 2020, 4:11 pm
In-trepid wrote: January 17th, 2020, 6:21 pm I kind of feel that way too, John. I love to work with others, go to the yard, and give advice or troubleshoot. Getting started on a project by myself is tough unless it is in the month or so before Carlisle. Then there is a sense of urgency and a bit of euphoria that kicks in to get the job done. I wish I had the group like the guys in Boston. That makes working on thing fun!
I understand that completely. The past few years I had a list of to-do's for Carlisle that was longer than a CVS receipt, and I didn't get started until June! Had the excitement of finally finishing this mod and that mod and looking forward to showing it all off. The front of the car was on the ground until two days before, and the driver's seat was all over the driveway the night before... and I discovered the main power tot he PDC wasn't QUITE tight enough as we were packing the car the morning we left... oops. This year I'm doing my best to keep the list much shorter, as I know the spring will be spent house shopping, house bidding, house inspecting, mortgage-getting, and moving... probably up until our lease ends at the end of May. Then it's on to house projects since I'm certain whatever we buy will not 100% be what we want and we'll be watching YouTube DIY videos in one hand and swinging hammers with the other hand, and crying and drinking, wondering what we got ourselves into... rather than modding my Special.

:thebar
beespecial liked this
 #381980  by beespecial
 January 21st, 2020, 4:21 pm
Well, the replacement starter is in and all indicators, so far, are that it is successful. After pulling the old starter apart again and checking the contacts, I'm convinced that a rebuild kit that contained a replacement plunger would have allowed me to only do this once. The lesson I learned here is check different sources for rebuild kits and replacement parts. After the fact I found rebuild kits, on ebay, that included a new plunger. The kit I got from Rockauto, the only one they had, did not include a new plunger.

Repairs and upgrades to date:
- 2 new rear tires
- 4 new shocks
- replaced seats
- oil & filter change
- new tonneau cover
- fender flares
- seat belt adjuster
- driver side headlamp fixed. mounting bracket wasn't broken as originally thought
- 4 wheel brake rebuild
- brake line replacement
- brake fluid replacement
- been sanding on what's left of the paint and doing some body work on the dents
- replace muffler and tailpipe
- new starter

I'm abandoning the hope of ever making it look good. The rust is way to bad. If I can keep it good mechanically and it's dependable, I will have to be good with that.
LUNAT1C liked this
 #381986  by FIREM
 January 21st, 2020, 8:12 pm
SO John, how many "Margarita" job was it LOL
I thought in "retirement" there is nothing but time to get stuff done :wink:
 #381989  by beespecial
 January 21st, 2020, 9:09 pm
FIREM wrote: January 21st, 2020, 8:12 pm SO John, how many "Margarita" job was it LOL
I thought in "retirement" there is nothing but time to get stuff done :wink:
Hmmm... well, the first time was 1 Margarita and 3 Crown 'n Cokes due the the aggravation that it didn't work. The second time I only needed a Pepsi. :lol:

Yup, lots of time to get stuff done. That's the problem. I keep putting things off because I believe I have plenty of time... until I don't.

Magic number time! Guess the event. It won't be too difficult.
dcsally97 liked this
 #382001  by In-trepid
 January 22nd, 2020, 9:49 am
123 - Indy meet
169 - Carlisle meet
260 - Ocean City meet
 #382003  by beespecial
 January 22nd, 2020, 10:04 am
In-trepid wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 9:49 am 123 - Indy meet
169 - Carlisle meet
260 - Ocean City meet
Very close but not exact. 123 days to Indy 500 race. No meet planned.
 #382004  by LUNAT1C
 January 22nd, 2020, 10:05 am
Did someone say IndyMeet?

:thebar
beespecial liked this
 #382025  by In-trepid
 January 22nd, 2020, 9:13 pm
I would be up for an Indy meet!
 #382028  by dcsally97
 January 22nd, 2020, 9:55 pm
I'd like to visit with you guys again. I'm about 2.5 hours from Indy.
 #382031  by FIREM
 January 23rd, 2020, 7:24 am
With the move to Myrtle Beach our "Meet Travel" has changed.
Carlisle was 2.5 hrs, now 8.5 hrs :eek
Ocean City was 3.5 hrs now 8 hrs :?
Indy was 10.5 hrs now 11 hrs :D
Maybe there is a reason the Indy" commute" changed he least.........
beespecial liked this