Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • 00R/T’s 2019 Hyundai Ioniq Limited Electric

• A place to talk about your non-LH current or former vehicles.
Membership Banner

A place to talk about your non-LH current or former vehicles.

Moderator: Moderators

#381047  by 00R/T
 October 17th, 2019, 12:15 pm
Some of you already saw this on Facebook and either expressed your disappointment or removed me from your friend’s list. My family already visited for a welfare check to make sure I hadn’t hit my head or developed a fever, so there’s no need to worry.

Anywho, after my good friend Mr. Sneke_Eyez blazed the trail by buying a Ford plug-in hybrid, I figured I could get my first non-Mopar and go a step further by going foreign and all-electric. Go big or go home, right?

So, after managing to track one down and finding a dealer who would play ball, I made a deal for a new Ceramic White Ioniq Limited with the full EV powertrain. I placed a deposit via phone Monday morning, and took delivery that night in order to catch an expiring state EV credit.

Here’s a few quick pics I grabbed before taking it home.
ImageImage

It’s a complete departure from every car I’ve ever owned in nearly every way, but I love it. It’s shockingly roomy inside (I am not a small man) and drives really nicely. It has a lot of tech like CarPlay, nav, passive entry, lane keep assist, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise with stop start, adaptive bi-xenon headlights, wireless phone charger, remote monitoring via app, Infinity audio, etc and some nice luxuries like heated leather and sunroof. I’ve had most of these things before, but not in my daily driver so I’m very much looking forward to it.

I’ve been pretty blown away by the comfort, quality, and the little touches that seem small but make the car that much more enjoyable to be in every day. I haven’t driven it a lot because it only came with a 110v charger and it takes over 24hrs to charge from empty. lol My new 240v, 32A Charger arrived today so I can charge completely in around 4 hours. My plan is to do all my charging at work, but I’m going to be adding a 40A outlet at home also in case I want to drive it a lot on the weekend and don’t want to rely on the slow charger.
hrmwrm liked this
 #381505  by Sneke_Eyez
 December 9th, 2019, 2:07 pm
Not sure how I never posted here acknowledging that you bought it, but I know how much you are loving this thing.

Electric is probably the way of the future, at least for around town DDs.
 #381506  by LUNAT1C
 December 9th, 2019, 2:23 pm
Electric is gradually asserting itself as Tesla keeps making headlines and putting out new models, Ford purchases an entire campus in Corktown for electric vehicle development and invests in Rivian, and plans an electric F-150, GM is planning several new electric Cadillac and Buick models, VAG and Volvo are steadily moving toward all-electric lineups, and part of the FCA/PSA tie-up is to catch up to these competitors.

Not to mention I've heard of some start-ups developing retrofit solutions for older ICE models to convert to electric. I won't deny that I've wondered how I might do it in my M.

Once the price comes down, range gets suitably long, a suitable recharging network is in place (Tesla's network isn't there yet, but it's promising), and recharging drops down enough that I can get 400+ miles of range in less than 30 minutes (even better, less than 20 minutes), I just might be looking at conversions. Maybe in 10 years.
 #381509  by 00R/T
 December 9th, 2019, 3:10 pm
It’s still weird at times, like now while I’m waiting for a coffee with the radio off. But, 1300 miles in and no regrets!Image
Sneke_Eyez, hrmwrm liked this
 #381526  by hrmwrm
 December 10th, 2019, 2:19 pm
ionic is about the most efficient one there is.
range would be a little short for me living way out in the country, but they make a great urban commuter.
is that with the newer larger battery, or the older smaller one?
i don't remember when exavctly the change was.
(if it was for 19, or the coming 2020.)
congrats on your choice. and your CHEAP commuting future.
 #381528  by 00R/T
 December 10th, 2019, 2:24 pm
hrmwrm wrote:ionic is about the most efficient one there is.
range would be a little short for me living way out in the country, but they make a great urban commuter.
is that with the newer larger battery, or the older smaller one?
i don't remember when exavctly the change was.
(if it was for 19, or the coming 2020.)
congrats on your choice. and your CHEAP commuting future.
The upgraded version isn’t coming to the US until 2019, so mine is the 120 mile range version. It’s not practical for me as a sole vehicle because the charging infrastructure isn’t there and where I live is far too rural so it everything is a decent drive away.

I’m really only using it for getting back and forth to work because it’s 20 miles one way and I can charge free at work. So, I just charge every other day and my commute costs nothing.
 #381529  by hrmwrm
 December 11th, 2019, 3:14 am
still, if your commute return is within it's range, it's just right.
one would mostly work for me, but when you have to head elsewhere, it's too far round trip, and charging infrastructure hasn't caught on much in the land of tarsand.
next level up ones would work though, as i would need about 200+ round trip to be an only.
well, enjoy your lack of costs, since you got the charge at work.
get them to throw in some tires every 5 or so years, and you'll drive virtually free.
 #382606  by hrmwrm
 March 5th, 2020, 6:59 pm
so, how was your winter encounter?
range drop, etc. haven't caught any cold reliability stories about these.
smaller battery is actually looked upon better as it charges faster than the larger. (not just because it's smaller but at a faster rate)
only would matter for long distance though.
 #382607  by 00R/T
 March 5th, 2020, 7:26 pm
hrmwrm wrote:so, how was your winter encounter?
range drop, etc. haven't caught any cold reliability stories about these.
smaller battery is actually looked upon better as it charges faster than the larger. (not just because it's smaller but at a faster rate)
only would matter for long distance though.
My range dropped from 125-130 to about 100-105 miles during the winter. I generally left the heat set to 70 the whole time. Other than that, the temperature didn’t real seem to matter. We didn’t get much snow this year, but it did well with what I did drive through.

I’m at around 4K miles now and have zero regrets.
 #382622  by hrmwrm
 March 6th, 2020, 1:51 am
actually pretty good for the smaller battery.
anything special for longevity, like 20-80% charge range or anything?
or like a regular car and fill it full when low?
i think most people would fit with one as long as it fits their commute range.
of course it matters less the more charge infrastructure you have around.
i've got myself set for one as my next.
just can't justify the cost of new for driving so little as i do.
couple more years maybe as more used come on the market.
maybe even an ionic with the larger battery.

good to hear your happy with it though.
charging at work is the perfect position for ownership. buy the car, drive mostly free.
thanks for the update.