Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Nick and Robert's Family Heirloom - '29 Ford Tudor

• A place to talk about your non-LH current or former vehicles.
Membership Banner

A place to talk about your non-LH current or former vehicles.

Moderator: Moderators

#394625  by In-trepid

I always love to follow your projects. You are very precise in your execution and very demanding in the finishing touches to do the project right. I appreciate your attention to detail and your quest for the knowledge that makes this possible. This is quite the project with very limited information available, so you may be one of the great pioneers to "write the book" for those who follow in doing their own restorations. While not a Chrysler or a 300m, I am still very interested in the outcome. For our 300m or LH vehicles, we still have access, though getting more limited each day, to vehicles in the junkyards. This will be a true test for what we or future generations will go through when restoring or even maintaining our LH vehicles down the road. Please keep the information and pictures flowing. I for one will be following closely.
FIREM, LUNAT1C liked this
 #394626  by FIREM

Totally agree John it is interesting to see the "Engineering aspect" Robert brings to his projects.
Especially for me as I have seen him progress over the years. Our first encounter was when he was a student near by and stopped over to have me look at a clunking noise in his car, then watched me do the timing belt for him at a later date. Now one of the more experienced, creative, and talented hands and minds of the group!
LUNAT1C liked this
 #394631  by LUNAT1C

Aw shucks. Any talent or skill I have, I owe to the club! Everything I've employed on fixing my Jeep and on this discovery process on the Ford I've gained from what I've learned right here, from greater minds!

I had intended to get further along with the car over the holiday weekend, but my sciatic nerve had other plans. Turns out you can get sciatic nerve pain even in your late 30's, with nothing more than probably overdoing something when I put out the holiday lights in the front gardens on Black Friday. Still sticking to the plan of getting the radiator out before the winter holiday break and then after the new year begins look into having it either cleaned out or re-cored, then assembling an official shopping cart of replacement parts and Model A specific tools. Picking up a hand crank and a timing tool for it, as well as a fuel tank strainer removal tool so I can get a better look at the tanks condition.

While these cars no longer exist in typical junkyards (even M's are getting scarce, LHs are consistently outnumbered by JS, LX, LD, LC cars, even Pacificas and Neons still), if you have a good frame and good block it's possible to build a "brand new" Model A Ford with repop parts.

That said, the founts of Model A knowledge all agree that original parts or original rebuilt parts are much better than repop. In my shopping cart are rebuild kits for the carb and water pump (converting to a leakless unit), but I'm following sage advice and keeping the distributer system original. I'll be replacing all engine-side gaskets with original-for-'28/29 copper sets and everything else cork.

The only retrofit I'm planning for now is LED headlamps down the road, but that's not a priority since it won't be driven at night anyway unless we take the car to a local club meeting, which are last Monday of every month at 7pm.
FIREM, Sneke_Eyez liked this
 #394632  by FIREM

"Aw shucks. Any talent or skill I have, I owe to the club! Everything I've employed on fixing my Jeep and on this discovery process on the Ford I've gained from what I've learned right here, from greater minds!"

Great Students are easily taught !! :D

" Turns out you can get sciatic nerve pain even in your late 30's,"
Just wait till your double that age plus !!!!!! :shock: :lol: :oops: :P :roll: :evil: :wink: :scream :ohboy :popcorn