Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • TrepKing got stung by the New Car Bug!

• A place to talk about your non-LH current or former vehicles.
Membership Banner

A place to talk about your non-LH current or former vehicles.

Moderator: Moderators

#394767  by TrepKing95

After working at a new car dealer for over 7 years, the new car bug finally Stung me! Between the 300M needing a transmission rebuild, the Grand Cherokee leaving me on the side of the interstate coming home from vacation, and the minivan rusting to the point it is no longer roadworthy, all while trying to buy a house, it became glaringly obvious that I needed to do something about transportation to avoid being stuck without a car. Then the 2024 Dodge Hornets started coming in for Pre-Delivery Inspection, and what I originally wrote off as a compliance car to appease the EPA proved itself to me as a great way to solve my average fleet mileage issue and save a lot on gas!

Enter my 2024 Dodge Hornet R/T Plus with the Tech Pack!

I drove home with it on November 22, 2023, which just happened to be the 7 year anniversary from my first day working for Chrysler, naturally I had to make one important upgrade as soon as possible!
Taking apart interiors on cars new and old is nothing to me, but removing the A Pillar trim to route the power wire for the camera was a whole new level of stressful on my own car!

I asked that the dealer not wash the car before I took delivery so that I could keep any scratching and swirl marks to a minimum... I was glad I did when it came time to do the first wash and apply the Adam's Polishes Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating Advanced!

It definitely cleaned up nice!

And now to unveil my favorite part of the Hornet:
It's a Plug-In Hybrid!

The Hornet R/T is the PHEV version, and comes with a 1.3L Turbocharged 4cyl mated to a 6 speed automatic under the hood, with an electric motor in the back that serves as the rear differential. This gives Hornet "eAWD" and allows me to see over 100MPG regularly. (I can get through most of my daily commute in EV mode, and suspect that during the summer I might use EV for my entire commute!)

So far I'm just over 2,200mi on the odometer, and I've only filled the 11.3 gallon gas tank twice!
monte4, 1996LHS, Sneke_Eyez and 1 others liked this
 #394768  by M-Pressive

Very nice!

Gotta love that mileage.

Congrats
TrepKing95 liked this
 #394770  by EasyRider300M

How much does the electric charge cost...
TrepKing95 liked this
 #394771  by TrepKing95

EasyRider300M wrote: January 10th, 2024, 10:38 pm How much does the electric charge cost...
My local electric rate is $0.12/kWh and it takes around 13 kWh to fully charge the pack (it doesn't use all 15.5kWh). That puts it at around $1.60 to charge. They advertise a 32mi electric range, but I find that even in Winter time (least efficient with all the heaters running) I'm seeing closer to 35-40. I cant wait to see what I get when the weather improves.

That $1.60/day equates to almost $50 per month. HUGE savings compared to the $85+ per week (almost 340/month) when I was daily driving my Jeep.
 #394772  by FIREM

So you got bit by a Hornet Image
CONGRADULATIONS!!
It appears it didn't take long for the MOD BUG to bite also
Enjoy!!
EasyRider300M liked this
 #394773  by LUNAT1C

Very nice! Love the color. I've honestly been skeptical about these, since historically the Fiat/Chrysler made-in-Italy sister vehicles haven't panned out well. Our Renegade was decent and didn't let us down, but it did have some unusual issues for being essentially a new car even when we traded it for the Durango at 5 years old.

I've yet to hear anything troubling about the Hornet other than complaints about the price, and I've seen a number of them "buzzing" around here (and NOT the Tonale, strangely since I do occasionally see a raft of Guilia's and Stelvio's rolling around). The one you bought sounds like a fun little pocket rocket from the reviews.
 #394774  by First Lady

Yay!! Great to have you share it with the group. It's so exciting and I love that you've already crunched numbers about it. Great choice, here's to MANY miles!!!!
 #394787  by TrepKing95

FIREM wrote: January 11th, 2024, 9:28 am So you got bit by a Hornet Image
CONGRADULATIONS!!
It appears it didn't take long for the MOD BUG to bite also
Enjoy!!
Definitely didn't take long for the Mod bug to bite! But luckily between buying it as loaded out as possible and leasing it (planning to buy it out at the end) I don't have many mods to do! First one was the dashcam, 2nd was Mopar All Weather floor mats, and the 3rd will be putting the Parallel and Perpendicular parking assist in that was SUPPOSED to be part of the Tech Pack! (I have all the hardware now that I've acquired the switch.... Now for the scary part of configuring the computers to recognize it!)
FIREM liked this
 #394788  by In-trepid

I'm guessing that configuration of the computers won't pose a serious problem for a Chrysler tech that has access to a vast support structure. It's kind of like doing mods on a 300m Special vs a base. Special came with many upgrades that can be retrofitted to the base, but also future years produced numerous others that we now do. Probably the same will hold true for this vehicle.
TrepKing95 liked this
 #394793  by 1996LHS

Congratulations!
By choosing the PHEV you got a future-proof machine. Whether electric becomes dominant or gas sticks around you'll be ready.
I'm also very impressed with the styling. I was skeptical when I first heard they were going to put Dodge styling cues on the Alfa, but seeing it in person you'd never believe it wasn't a Dodge from the get-go. Looks like a baby Durango.
TrepKing95 liked this
 #394843  by Sneke_Eyez

I spent a little time in one of these at the Chicago Auto Show last year and really liked it. I knew they were coming out with a PHEV, but I didn't know the specs on them. I am intrigued. Someone in my office complex has one and it is the same color as yours - what a good color!

As some may know, my wife had a PHEV Ford Fusion for some time and it was a spectacular car in terms of gas usage - and it didn't get much more than about 20 miles in one charge on the EV-only battery (though it was also a traditional hybrid the rest of the time). We loved it until the transmission seal went and we had to trade it in - and we still think about buying another PHEV sometime. Maybe this could be an option!
First Lady, TrepKing95 liked this
 #394955  by sparky99

did you install an EV charger or are you running off of a 115v wall plug?
 #395182  by TrepKing95

sparky99 wrote: January 30th, 2024, 9:15 pm did you install an EV charger or are you running off of a 115v wall plug?
I charged with the 115V plug for the first week and a half of ownership; it takes about 12hrs to fully charge the 15.5kWh battery pack, and the "Scheduled Cabin Conditioning" would use more power than the Level 1 charger could provide, and I'd still lose range before leaving for work. We ended up installing a portable Level 2 (240V) J1772 EVSE that has a built in NEMA 14-50 plug (conveniently we already had a plug in the garage from the old generator setup) Charge times dropped to between 2hrs and 15min to 3hr depending on battery temp and charge when I plug in. Definitely worth getting the Level 2, especially since I got mine on a Black Friday deal having purchased the car day before Thanksgiving.
 #395183  by TrepKing95

Sneke_Eyez wrote: January 15th, 2024, 11:18 pm I spent a little time in one of these at the Chicago Auto Show last year and really liked it. I knew they were coming out with a PHEV, but I didn't know the specs on them. I am intrigued. Someone in my office complex has one and it is the same color as yours - what a good color!

As some may know, my wife had a PHEV Ford Fusion for some time and it was a spectacular car in terms of gas usage - and it didn't get much more than about 20 miles in one charge on the EV-only battery (though it was also a traditional hybrid the rest of the time). We loved it until the transmission seal went and we had to trade it in - and we still think about buying another PHEV sometime. Maybe this could be an option!
I just ran the numbers having hit 4,000mi on Saturday; I've only used about 40 gallons of fuel in my ownership... That means my current lifetime average is at 100MPG! The Hornet R/T has a 32mi advertised range, but when I hypermile (SUPER gentle on the pedals and no HVAC) I can get close to 40 in mild temperatures. I look forward to seeing my EV Range in the upcoming warmer temperatures, however driving EV all day every day will put me WAY closer to the dreaded "FORM" (Fuel Oil Refresh Mode)
 #395763  by TrepKing95

Well I guess it's time for a 6mo update on the Hornet! I hit 7000mi on Friday, and still am amazed with my fuel economy, especially with my driving style! I filled up late March, and 1400mi later it was time to fill up (I use Drivvo to track my fuel economy and fillups across my fleet, and the actual fuel economy was 140.6 MPG!)
Image Image

I had a couple opportunities to drive it in the snow over the winter, and it did surprisingly well! The eAWD system does a great job at getting going even on hills! The biggest issue in snow is that when sloppy wet snow builds up on the front, the headlights don't produce enough heat to melt it off, and the front sensors for parking and forward collision warning go nuts!
Image[/URL [URL=https://public.fotki.com/300mclub/300_mom/active-member-folde/2592-michael-taylor-jr/snapchat-1594544866.html]Image

Naturally, a brand new platform will have a couple bugs... I had to replace the left mirror glass under warranty because the LED for the blindspot monitor had a sealing defect and allowed water to get in and mess with the light:

The check engine light came on once on the first hot weather day of the year with a trouble code for "HV Battery Cooling Performance" which was caused by a software calibration issue... an update to the Hybrid Control Processor and that problem has been fixed!

I figured I would be due for my first oil change by now, but when I checked the Trip B odometer that has never been reset, I see that the gas engine barely has 2,000mi on it! I think I'll be doing an oil change every other tire rotation!

Overall I'm very happy with it, and every time I get stuck in heavy traffic I'm especially glad I opted to get the Tech Pack... that Active Driving Assist is a miracle worker!
First Lady, hrmwrm liked this
 #395772  by LUNAT1C

I've been curious what the manufacturers say about oil changes on these PHEVs. It's conceivable that someone who plugs in at home every night and doesn't drive more than 20-30 miles per day might never use the ICE.

I've got my eye on the Ramcharger at some point in the future, and in that case the ICE is strictly for charging the battery on long trips. I might be lucky to do 100 miles in a day if I go to the yard, but otherwise I never do more than 25-30. We briefly considered a Tesla since we get an employee discount, to remove chemical fuel from his commute... but then Elon started doing Elon things and shafted thousands of people who were relying on that monthly discount.

Plus I still refuse to sell the Jeep or the Durango, so there's that. We'll see in a few years as more PHEVs hit the market.
Sneke_Eyez, TrepKing95 liked this
 #395773  by hrmwrm

nice.
never seen a hornet around here.
so how does it work exactly for electric.?
just off the back axle?
and you saying conditioning taking so much power, means the heating is electric and not from the motor?

our family just went full electric in february with a chev bolt euv.
level 2 is the way to charge, as 110 just has too many losses to be economical too, besides being too slow.
ours came with a 120/240 compatible charger, 7kw on 240 output.
bought and will mount an 11.5 kw EVSE outside soon as the weather gets nicer around here finally.

love the low cost of power over gas.
costs me about $10 power to every $30 gas in the lhs for the same distance.
probably less in the summer now as i won't need heat and air is less dense.
and summer tires are back on, although i went with 16" rims for winter instead of the factory 17".
so they didn't make much of a difference.

love all the safety in new vehicles too.
cameras and traffic sensors and warnings of close objects.
got mine loaded with supercruise even, so you don't have to steer on some highways. :D
new one is much safer than the lhs.
 #395830  by TrepKing95

hrmwrm wrote: May 20th, 2024, 5:32 pm nice.
never seen a hornet around here.
so how does it work exactly for electric.?
just off the back axle?
and you saying conditioning taking so much power, means the heating is electric and not from the motor?

our family just went full electric in february with a chev bolt euv.
level 2 is the way to charge, as 110 just has too many losses to be economical too, besides being too slow.
ours came with a 120/240 compatible charger, 7kw on 240 output.
bought and will mount an 11.5 kw EVSE outside soon as the weather gets nicer around here finally.

love the low cost of power over gas.
costs me about $10 power to every $30 gas in the lhs for the same distance.
probably less in the summer now as i won't need heat and air is less dense.
and summer tires are back on, although i went with 16" rims for winter instead of the factory 17".
so they didn't make much of a difference.

love all the safety in new vehicles too.
cameras and traffic sensors and warnings of close objects.
got mine loaded with supercruise even, so you don't have to steer on some highways. :D
new one is much safer than the lhs.
The eAWD system is pretty impressive; in EV mode it's rear wheel drive, with propulsion being provided exclusively by the rear drive motor. Once you run out of charge, the gas engine kicks in and it becomes a front wheel drive biased car, with the rear motor helping out as needed. In Sport mode or after an ESC/TSC event the gas engine and electric drive motor work together to provide All-Wheel Drive.

Cabin heating can be provided by the resistive heater block inside the HVAC housing in Electric mode, or the traditional heater core in gas mode, the A/C is provided by an electric A/C compressor regardless of engine mode. That electric heater definitely starts pumping heat quickly!

We installed a 32A 240V Level 2 charger here, definitely made a huge difference in how convenient the car is to drive in EV mode. I can get home and plug the car in, and after about an hour I have enough charge to make a run to the next town over and back for dinner without using any gas.

All of the Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) features really make a difference. I opted for the Tech Pack which added a Surround View Camera and Active Driving Assist, and now I need to figure out how to add both to my M!
hrmwrm liked this
 #395847  by First Lady

Enjoyed riding along and seeing all its bells and whistles!! It’s really nice Mikey and I can tell you’re enjoying it!
TrepKing95 liked this
 #395857  by hrmwrm

i love the speed of electric heat too when needed. mine draws about 8kw of power to heat up then modulates from there.
leaving it plugged in lets it draw from the evse instead of the battery for prewarming.
sounds like quite the system they've made there.
rear electric and all wheel hybrid.
as long as it works, is all that matters.
sounds like you enjoy it anyways. :D
TrepKing95 liked this