Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • 2019 Still Night Pearl Honda Accord Sport 1.5T -Sparky99

• A place to talk about your non-LH current or former vehicles.
Membership Banner

A place to talk about your non-LH current or former vehicles.

Moderator: Moderators

#393691  by sparky99

M-Pressive wrote: June 5th, 2023, 8:53 pm The color looks great!

I would ditch the red and match it up!

Nice work!
So, following some advice, I did it.. I took the lug nut caps off and had a guy at work water/sandblast them. I have a good couple of coats of paint on them. I would like to do one more coat of paint and then a couple coats of clear. Then I can reinstall them. But, I want to look for a protective socket to put them back on with if one exists... I will begin the search tonight.
 #393692  by sparky99

#393694  by LUNAT1C

I've yet to find anything that doesn't at some point damage wheel nuts. If you weren't planning on it already, make sure you use a 2K clear. Anything else will yellow, crack, and fail when exposed to heat, which the centers of wheels get hot.
 #394181  by sparky99

LUNAT1C wrote: June 15th, 2023, 9:37 am I've yet to find anything that doesn't at some point damage wheel nuts. If you weren't planning on it already, make sure you use a 2K clear. Anything else will yellow, crack, and fail when exposed to heat, which the centers of wheels get hot.
Robert, I did find a plastic-lined socket. It's stamped as a 3/4" however, you can see they took a larger socket and put a plastic liner in it. I used it to install the lug nut caps and it works great. It's a hand tool-only type of use. No power tools to be used to tighten them up. So far, there has been no damage to the painted surface.
LUNAT1C liked this
 #394187  by LUNAT1C

sparky99 wrote: August 9th, 2023, 8:38 pm
LUNAT1C wrote: June 15th, 2023, 9:37 am I've yet to find anything that doesn't at some point damage wheel nuts. If you weren't planning on it already, make sure you use a 2K clear. Anything else will yellow, crack, and fail when exposed to heat, which the centers of wheels get hot.
Robert, I did find a plastic-lined socket. It's stamped as a 3/4" however, you can see they took a larger socket and put a plastic liner in it. I used it to install the lug nut caps and it works great. It's a hand tool-only type of use. No power tools to be used to tighten them up. So far, there has been no damage to the painted surface.
Where did you find it? I may need something like that soon if I need to remove the body-side rear lower door hinge on my Jeep. Paint got chipped from road debris and it rusted over winter, now the door is stiff and makes a squeal that can wake the dead when opening/closing. Toledo installed the hinge on the body and then painted over it all, so the painted bolts will get damaged when I get to it...
 #394233  by sparky99

#394340  by sparky99

its been a little while since I've updated. I decided to completely ditch the red on the outside and inside. I changed out the paddle shifter extensions for some blue ones. I also bought some "JDM style" badges and installed them. It replaced the front, rear, and steering wheel emblems. I also removed the wickedlyboosted windshield banner and replaced it with a 10th gen Society banner. I like the contrast of the white better than the gray. Lastly, I entered the car in a local "big show". we will see how that goes. I did take a couple of updated photos of the car. Enjoy...

That's it for now. Have a good night.
First Lady, FIREM liked this
 #394341  by M-Pressive

Good progress!

Car is looking great, your overall theme meshes really well.

Good luck at the show!
sparky99 liked this
 #394343  by First Lady

Looks great!! Keep up the good work and enjoy the show!
sparky99 liked this
 #394350  by LUNAT1C

Have fun! The blue works really well.
sparky99 liked this
 #394351  by sparky99

Thanks all! I really do love a long term build. It allows me to keep the focus going.
First Lady liked this
 #394551  by sparky99

Ok, its been a little while since I've updated. I have not done much to the car lately. We have been very busy with kids/karate/basketball/school/etc.... UGH! I'm tired just thinking about it all.
I am nearing the end of my classes for my Associate's degree, I should be done by the middle of December. It's a very exciting time.

Anyways... I did an oil change on the car, for those who are keeping track, its the 2nd one I've done personally. I also followed that up with 2 transmission services. I did a fluid change (these cars don't have a pan to drop, nor a filter to change). I changed half the fluid, drove it around the block (to autozone to get break cleaner) and changed the fluid again. This fluid is stupid expensive, but I think I will do it again here in a couple of months. The fluid was pretty dirty. I was hoping doing the fluid twice would have cleaned it up more. I also may just bite the bullet and have it flushed at Honda.

Car drives great after the oil change and transmission services. I also put on my stock wheels... :( :( :( Ugh, I was dreading that too. I have learned that I do have some weird rear tire wear (Camber is common on these cars) so I may replace the back tires this winter. I really want to powder coat the wheels, but I may leave them another season. I don't know for sure yet.

I am also starting to think about selling my jeep so I can get another car to tinker with. That will involve a lot of deep thought as I have had my jeep for 19 years now. It will be hard if I sell it, but I have lost almost all motivation with it. I still don't know though. I am going to take the next months to decide what I am going to do.
KxWarrior, Sneke_Eyez liked this
 #394556  by FIREM

Tough call on the Jeep but $$ for mods and tires may ease the pain.
 #394558  by M-Pressive

Moving on from something that you have owned for a long time is difficult.

Sometimes it is for the best though. Let someone else resurrect it. I know it has been sitting a long time. Could be a great opportunity to get another project. Maybe something you are more passionate about.
 #394562  by Sneke_Eyez

Always a hard decision to sell a project you were once passionate about. No easy answer, but when you lose motivation entirely on a project I do think that says something.
 #394567  by LUNAT1C

I've been back and forth about selling my Jeep, having ordered and bought it almost 8 years ago. I know once I did, every Jeep I see on the road will make me miss it and feel bad for not sticking with it. It hasn't been my daily in several months and sometimes I get that feeling as I drive the Durango daily now. Plus I have some personal attachment to it being the very first vehicle I bought brand new, and first vehicle that I factory ordered -- My name is on the Monroney label as "Built especially for Robert Knapp", which I have framed and hanging in my office along with a monroney for my M (not the original, but from an identical car) and the one for our Durango. The thought has crossed my mind as I consider getting a truck, but I'm currently content with either trading in the Durango for that, or paying off the Durango and saving up to pay cash for a good condition 3rd gen Ram or GMT600-800 truck, both pre-DOD. Keep my Jeep for the sentimental value as Nick daily drives it and Durango as my reliable daily, and use the truck for truck things and replace it whenever I want with no attachments to it and break the car payment cycle... that's how I view it. Unless the new Ramcharger ticks all the boxes including reliability and price, then all bets are off -- I've been begging the truck companies for exactly that running gear in a truck. :lol:

Maybe one way to look it at is, given you're a big family man, would you enjoy a possible new project with your kids more than you currently do or possibly could with the Jeep? Or do you think they'd love to be involved with doing Jeep things more?
 #394574  by sparky99

LUNAT1C wrote: November 15th, 2023, 4:50 pm Maybe one way to look it at is, given you're a big family man, would you enjoy a possible new project with your kids more than you currently do or possibly could with the Jeep? Or do you think they'd love to be involved with doing Jeep things more?
I am very stuck here. My wife and kids really have nothing to do with my automotive passion. My daughter loved riding in the jeep when it was a driver, but I have work to do to the cage before I'd feel comfortable taking them off road.
The wife has been on several wheeling trips over the years, so I'd say its probably better with the jeep than with another project. However, I just don't know what motivation I have for it.
I was looking at it today, not knowing what to do.
I do know that I have to finish this class first before I make any rational decisions. This class consumes most of my spare time here. But! I've only got 1 month to go!
 #395861  by sparky99

ok, I am a huge slacker! So I graduated! Walked in all.

I got a front lip installed, I bought lowering springs (to lower sooner than waiting for expensive coilovers).
I have gotten the hail damage that I took to Carlisle with me last year fixed all up.
Got some Hella horns, went ahead and painted them my accent color. I need to pull the front bumper to install them, I just haven't had time.
Umm.... there may be more. LOL.

The last month have really consumed my time with all of the family stuff going on. some may know, but we put our cat down on 5/3, then my mom had a major health event that she passed away from. I can without say thank you to all those who have reached out via social media. It has been a very hard time for my kids. Its unfortunate, but with everything that goes on in life, it happens.

With that said, I will get some updated pictures up here of the car very soon. Those who follow along on Instagram have been getting the play by play...

also, if you want, give me a follow. I'm trying to build my following on Instagram.

@snp_accord_xgen

there's my little plug. Trying to make it to 2500 followers. I'm just under 1100.

I will get some updated pictures up in this thread.
Sonicrob, LUNAT1C liked this
 #395974  by sparky99

Here are updated pictures from the front lip and the Fuse Fest Car Show. The car showed very well. I received quite a bit more attention than I thought I'd get. And the last pic is the only pic I took at a local show I went to last minute.

The White Civic Type-R is a girl I met there. She runs in a bunch of the "Grid Life" events. We tried to get her to join our local Honda 10th Gen club but she said that she won't do the club thing. Overall, she seemed cool and eager to show off her car. It was good to see a tracked car there.
M-Pressive liked this
 #396029  by First Lady

Love what you're doing with the car Robert!! It looks great!
Looking forward to seeing it in a few weeks at Carlisle :-)
sparky99 liked this