Monday morning my car was picked up by the dealer with a trailer. As soon as the broken strut mount was out we had a closer look:
As you can see the inner part was completely destroyed and moreover the ring made of steel was heavily distorted. Don't know if this happened due to axial movement or - just a guess - the used steel for the mount was simply to weak.
Anyway, I insisted that also the left strut mount will be changed though it was looking fine from the outside and moreover this mount was 'correct' as far as FSM is concerned (gum nipples pointing to the right directions). As soon as it was out we could see that also this mount was going to break very soon.
Looking from the top you can see that the steel is already half way gone:
Same at the down side:
Morover, also the gum started to vanish:
As soon as car was ready again I took it for a test ride. I have a road that I tried to avoid before because rattling and clonk noises were too much. And what happened? My car is absolutely silent. No clonks, no rattling, it is silent as it wasn't for more than 2 years.
Conclusion: you may use quick struts (I still have them in), but you have to use original Mopar strut mounts. If you have rattling noises and clonks you should check your mounts very carefully. I think there is not only a 'comfort' issue but also a security issue with 3rd party mounts. Of course I only can refer to Gabriel mounts but since members of mounts coming from different manufactures (Moog etc.) are complaing also about noise risk is high that those mounts may break, too.
What I (and also my dealer) don't know: the only difference between left and right side mounts seems to be that the gum nipples on top are pointing to different directions. However, nothing is able to touch those nipples. One idea is that these are used only to be able to check if the mounts are installed at the correct sides (but then it would be easier to use a clear indication e.g L and R). Perhaps someone here knows more about the mystery.
Final note: my old mounts were in for 2 years and 5 months and I drove approx. 6.000 miles. IIRC when the original mounts came out (12 years, 165.000 miles) none of them showed any problems as mentioned above.