Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • DO NOT USE QUICK STRUTS

• Discussions on suspension & steering repairs or upgrades.
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Discussions on suspension & steering repairs or upgrades.

Moderator: Moderators

#367348  by EasyRider300M
 May 19th, 2017, 11:57 pm
I started getting rattling in the left front strut area of my recently installed blue monroe economatic strut. I bought the proper washer and had my mechanic install it and torque the nut on the mount. It seems to have worked as all is quiet now and ride is restored. As I only do about 2 to 3 k miles a year, I am hoping the monroe strut holds up.
 #368218  by Carter
 July 8th, 2017, 9:50 am
I used quick strut/shocks all the way around on my 2002 300m. I have absolutely no problems. Just remember to get an alignment immediately after installation. If any things change or malfunctions I will let everyone know.

Carter
 #368219  by remi
 July 8th, 2017, 10:20 am
Hi Carter, welcome here :)
What brand did you use? Do you have any part number?
 #375077  by German300M
 July 28th, 2018, 2:40 am
I FULLY FULLY agree on the topic subject.

I let Gabriel quick struts install by my dealer about 2 and half years ago. Rattling noise and clonks (i.e. when turning steering wheel to full left or right) right away. Went back to the dealer to complain. He came up with the idea that my lower control arms cause the noise (were the original ones, 12 years old). He replaced them, still clonks and noise. Next, he replaced tensions struts, no luck. Finally he replaced right strut mount on warranty (he got it free rom Gabriel). Didn't help.

10 days ago I almost got of the road when driving at about 40 mph (lucky me that I wasn't an the Autobahn because there I go mostly between 90 and 110 mph). The car made a 2 yards move to the right out of the blue. And this was the reason:

Bearing in mind that this strut mount was in place for 2 years only this is something was should not happen. Morover one can't see what is going on inside the mount, so no chance to make a 'security check'. If you look closey to the pic you can see that the rubber tabs are pointing to the wrong directions. Not sure if this is the reason for the noise or if the 3rd party mount has more differences. However, using those struts you will end up that the rubber tabs will be always wrong on one side of the car because according to the manufacturers the mounts can be used left and right (this is clearly opposite what the FSM is telling - there are several warnings to have an eye on the CORRECT directions of the tabs)!

Having a look to Brando26's video I can imagine that the horizontal movement of the shocks in the strut mounts make them break.

Anyway, I ordered 2 original MOPAR strut mounts from Rockauto (got them yesterday). I'll have an appointment at my dealer on Monday (will sure have some interesting discussions with him). I'll let change both strut mounts (though the left one 'looks' ok) because I'm feeling totally unsafe with my car now as long as those mounts are in place.

And I'm curious about the noise issue when mounts are replaced. :-)
 #375124  by German300M
 August 1st, 2018, 3:46 am
Monday morning my car was picked up by the dealer with a trailer. As soon as the broken strut mount was out we had a closer look:

As you can see the inner part was completely destroyed and moreover the ring made of steel was heavily distorted. Don't know if this happened due to axial movement or - just a guess - the used steel for the mount was simply to weak.

Anyway, I insisted that also the left strut mount will be changed though it was looking fine from the outside and moreover this mount was 'correct' as far as FSM is concerned (gum nipples pointing to the right directions). As soon as it was out we could see that also this mount was going to break very soon.

Looking from the top you can see that the steel is already half way gone:

Same at the down side:

Morover, also the gum started to vanish:

As soon as car was ready again I took it for a test ride. I have a road that I tried to avoid before because rattling and clonk noises were too much. And what happened? My car is absolutely silent. No clonks, no rattling, it is silent as it wasn't for more than 2 years.

Conclusion: you may use quick struts (I still have them in), but you have to use original Mopar strut mounts. If you have rattling noises and clonks you should check your mounts very carefully. I think there is not only a 'comfort' issue but also a security issue with 3rd party mounts. Of course I only can refer to Gabriel mounts but since members of mounts coming from different manufactures (Moog etc.) are complaing also about noise risk is high that those mounts may break, too.

What I (and also my dealer) don't know: the only difference between left and right side mounts seems to be that the gum nipples on top are pointing to different directions. However, nothing is able to touch those nipples. One idea is that these are used only to be able to check if the mounts are installed at the correct sides (but then it would be easier to use a clear indication e.g L and R). Perhaps someone here knows more about the mystery.

Final note: my old mounts were in for 2 years and 5 months and I drove approx. 6.000 miles. IIRC when the original mounts came out (12 years, 165.000 miles) none of them showed any problems as mentioned above.
 #375128  by EasyRider300M
 August 1st, 2018, 12:28 pm
you would think that after all these years and probably numerous complaints these aftermarket strut manufacturers would correct the problem. I have monroe economatics in the rear and left front. No issues yet but only have a few thousand miles on them.

I would think that as years pass, it will be harder, if not impossible, to buy oem mounts. So if you're concerned, stock up.
 #375129  by Steve From MA
 August 1st, 2018, 5:57 pm
I had an oem strut mount on our red car fail in a similar fashion but It wasn't quite as bad - the rubber in side had collapsed and the strut head was moving a bit - was just lucky I caught it early enough. On a side note the car has put 35k miles on a set of KYB quick struts over the past year with zero issues (we put on 500 plus miles each week). I kept thinking I would need to replace the side that usually has the white dot but haven't needed to. I checked it last weekend while giving the car a once over for inspection and everything was still nice and tight no play in the bushing when pulling on the top of the spring. Bear in mind the rest of the suspension also has about 35k miles on it including the control arms, torsion bars / bushings and tie rod ends.

Our white car (the 2k) had gabriel quick struts in the rear from a previous owner and the mounts on one side started making noise shortly after we bought the car (started getting play and make a loud squeak with every bump) - but the shocks looked and felt in great shape. - may be an issue with the gabrial mounts like the monroe ones.
 #375132  by German300M
 August 2nd, 2018, 3:33 am
EasyRider300M wrote: August 1st, 2018, 12:28 pm I would think that as years pass, it will be harder, if not impossible, to buy oem mounts. So if you're concerned, stock up.
That's absolutely true, even more over here in Germany since Fiat took over Chrysler Europe. Execept for oil filters, spark plugs, break pads etc. there are almost no spare parts available from them. Good thing is that delivery from Rockauto takes only one week (Fedex). When I order something I really need I always add some extra parts to put them on stock.
 #375133  by German300M
 August 2nd, 2018, 3:45 am
Steve From MA wrote: August 1st, 2018, 5:57 pm I had an oem strut mount on our red car fail in a similar fashion but It wasn't quite as bad - the rubber in side had collapsed and the strut head was moving a bit - was just lucky I caught it early enough. On a side note the car has put 35k miles on a set of KYB quick struts over the past year with zero issues (we put on 500 plus miles each week). I kept thinking I would need to replace the side that usually has the white dot but haven't needed to. I checked it last weekend while giving the car a once over for inspection and everything was still nice and tight no play in the bushing when pulling on the top of the spring. Bear in mind the rest of the suspension also has about 35k miles on it including the control arms, torsion bars / bushings and tie rod ends.
The rest of suspension was changed about 2 years ago. Reason was that we (me and even the dealer) couldn't believe that the rattling noise is coming from brandnew strut mounts. Moreover it seems that the right side strut mount gives up earlier than the left side one. Rockauto had several left ones on stock, but was out of stock of the right side ones. Anyway, after I experienced what happens when a strut mount breaks when driving I'll sure check them regularly, though OEM ones are in.
Steve From MA wrote: August 1st, 2018, 5:57 pm Our white car (the 2k) had gabriel quick struts in the rear from a previous owner and the mounts on one side started making noise shortly after we bought the car (started getting play and make a loud squeak with every bump) - but the shocks looked and felt in great shape. - may be an issue with the gabrial mounts like the monroe ones.
I sent an email to the German vendor of the Gabriel quick struts, but no reply so far. Of course I can't tell anything about other 3rd party manufacturers, but reading that post it looks that Gabriel strut mounts are worst. There seems to be issues with the other ones, too, but less. And AFAIK there is no 3rd party manufacturer who offers a left and a right side mount. What brings up the question again: WTF is the difference???
 #375326  by LH Platform
 August 21st, 2018, 1:05 pm
It is so disappointing to see this is still happening. I was just about to order 3 of the Monroe black Q-S (I already have a brand new one for the front from a few years ago) and this thread came to mind.

After pretty much everything else on the car has been replaced to keep it on the road, I was planning to replace the entire suspension as well to avoid a possible safety issue down the road, but I am hesitant to spend more money on aftermarket strut assemblies after seeing that this is still an issue in 2018.

I would feel a lot better about it if I knew that the washer fix was permanent. What should the torque on the nut on top of the strut mount be, on the OEM one? I will check the torque on the front Monroe black Q-S I have and compare.
 #375338  by LH Platform
 August 22nd, 2018, 10:34 am
I am going to use aftermarket struts for the front, with brand new Mopar mounts and the factory springs.

Is there any reason I should not be reusing the old (original) springs with Monroe shocks and Mopar mounts? Other than risking life and limb compressing the springs.
 #377749  by LH Platform
 February 11th, 2019, 10:55 am
After leaving the Monroe struts "as-is", front passenger side started to bind and pop during turns after only 3 months just as described by others. I received a replacement and the boot design is different. I am hoping there are more improvements to the new version that includes the mount bearing popping issue as and not just difference in the rubber boot. I am now expecting front driver side to start failing as well. You don't believe it will happen, even after reading numerous stories about it, until it actually happens to you.

Shame on Monroe and Tenneco for not doing anything about it for years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #377759  by Countachqv
 February 11th, 2019, 1:24 pm
Sorry to hear but the bad feedback on this site has been overwhelming . I had 2 of 2 monroes install issues. one was top nut not tighten to specs! sloppy QA
I had way better luck with KYB quick struts. At least they workvfor at least evryday commutes
 #379377  by Atlasrising2
 June 17th, 2019, 12:58 pm
I need help. I have a 2007 chrysler 300 c and I have been getting a violent shake while breaking at high speeds . We have replaced the struts, the rack n pinion , the upper and lower control arms , tie rods, sway bar links , etc...and still shaking so bad we have to pull over. Me and my mechanic are at our wits end . Can someone shed light please .
 #379381  by LUNAT1C
 June 17th, 2019, 3:17 pm
Atlasrising2 wrote: June 17th, 2019, 12:58 pm I need help. I have a 2007 chrysler 300 c and I have been getting a violent shake while breaking at high speeds . We have replaced the struts, the rack n pinion , the upper and lower control arms , tie rods, sway bar links , etc...and still shaking so bad we have to pull over. Me and my mechanic are at our wits end . Can someone shed light please .
Unfortunately this forum won't be of a lot of help to newer platform 300s. This is dedicated to the LH platform (1993-2004), while your car is on the LX platform, and is very different (RWD, Mercedes-derived suspension vs. FWD cab-forward design).

Is the violent shaking in the steering wheel or is it a vibration in the pedal? Steering wheel suggests outer tie rod ends, which were known to go quickly in that generation of LX. My 07 Charger needed them after 60,000 miles miles and the steering was massively improved after that. Inner tie rods would also be a source of bad steering shakes, I would think.

Brakes could be rotors, pads, or possibly a bad ABS system. Could also be tires. Again, not many LX experts here. I would venture over to LXForums for that.