Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • my car has 233k on it. have play in the inner tie rods,what would you order??

• Discussions on suspension & steering repairs or upgrades.
Membership Banner

Discussions on suspension & steering repairs or upgrades.

Moderator: Moderators

#381462  by Mmc300
 December 7th, 2019, 11:45 am
morning,
just put the snow tires on and found i have play on the inner tie rod....what would you order before tearing into it. also ,what is the rock auto discount please
 #381463  by LUNAT1C
 December 7th, 2019, 12:10 pm
The bushings are known to fail. I've not needed to do it yet, but from what I've seen the 2-piece replacement bushings are a recipe for a bad day and needing to do it again. OEM, if you can, or otherwise 1-piece.

If the rockauto discount thread doesn't have anything recent, check retailmenot.com for a 5% code.
Mmc300 liked this
 #381513  by Sneke_Eyez
 December 9th, 2019, 3:43 pm
I've always used the 2 piece Moog bushings with varying degrees of success.

They don't last forever, but they also don't require a special tool to install...

My new Special needs them, I am already pondering which style I will be installing.

Here's a Rockauto discount code I just posted in the thread: viewtopic.php?p=381512#p381512
Mmc300 liked this
 #381514  by FIREM
 December 9th, 2019, 4:08 pm
Moog K7408 kit with bolts is what I use. Be sure to put the washers on the back side against the rack, with the plate on the outside. This is important to the life of the new bushings. Also be sure to bend the lock tab so that it holds on the flat side of the bolt hex, not just over the round lip of the flange.
Amy not be a lifetime fix but cheap enough and last long enough to be worth the effort.
Mmc300 liked this
 #381531  by In-trepid
 December 11th, 2019, 12:03 pm
I agree with Bob on the Moog K7408 kit. Just one thing to add. Make sure when you are changing the bushings to only do one side at a time. You will need to loosen the other side, but one bolt must always remain in the steering rack at all times. It is a pretty easy job to accomplish with the taking apart and putting back together of the wipers, cowl pieces, strut tower support, and air box and hoses taking most of the time. Also, wear long sleeves as the space is tight and your arms tend to rub against the sharp parts of the back of the engine. one more word of caution. Two bolts on each side of the strut tower support feed into the wheel wells and tend to get rusty and hard to remove. Be patient and take your time. I have seen and twisted a few of these bolts off on junkyard cars. Working them in and out with a few sprays of PB Blaster will make sure that you aren't spending extra time drilling and tapping.
Mmc300 liked this