Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Rear Sway Bar Bushings

• Discussions on suspension & steering repairs or upgrades.
Membership Banner

Discussions on suspension & steering repairs or upgrades.

Moderator: Moderators

#382169  by In-trepid
 February 3rd, 2020, 9:48 pm
Quick question about rear sway bar bushings. Are there different bushings for the Special rear sway bar than for the base rear sway bar? I know the fronts are different, but I can only find one number for rear sway bar bushings. They are available for about $14 each at a couple of places. I'm also aware that they are available from PolyBushings, but these are also only one part number. Or am I mistaken that there are actually two different size rear sway bars on the 300m? Does anyone know for sure about these rear sway bar bushings?
 #382172  by FIREM
 February 4th, 2020, 7:45 am
There are absolutely, without a doubt different size rear sway bars 5/8 & 3/4" if I recall are the dimensions.
 #382173  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 4th, 2020, 9:35 am
In-trepid wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 9:48 pm Quick question about rear sway bar bushings. Are there different bushings for the Special rear sway bar than for the base rear sway bar? I know the fronts are different, but I can only find one number for rear sway bar bushings. They are available for about $14 each at a couple of places. I'm also aware that they are available from PolyBushings, but these are also only one part number. Or am I mistaken that there are actually two different size rear sway bars on the 300m? Does anyone know for sure about these rear sway bar bushings?
The only bushings that are the correct size for the Special rear bar are the ones from Polybushings.
The others are all sized for the non-Special rear bar, which is why Johnny agreed to make the rear bushings for us in the first place.
I have heard of people drilling the regular bushings out to make them fit the Special rear bar, but the Polybushings ones are the ones to get for ones that will just fit.
 #382181  by In-trepid
 February 4th, 2020, 5:09 pm
Just got them on order from Johnny. I'm assuming that it has the bigger sway bar since it is a Special, has the bigger size front sway bar, and it came from the factory with the 18 inch wheels. But... who knows as it is an 04 and sometimes 04 models have a mismatch of parts.
 #382182  by FIREM
 February 4th, 2020, 5:26 pm
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=30923
Looks like Special Rear bars are 13/16".......
 #382188  by LUNAT1C
 February 4th, 2020, 6:59 pm
In-trepid wrote: February 4th, 2020, 5:09 pm Just got them on order from Johnny. I'm assuming that it has the bigger sway bar since it is a Special, has the bigger size front sway bar, and it came from the factory with the 18 inch wheels. But... who knows as it is an 04 and sometimes 04 models have a mismatch of parts.
Check the factory tire information sticker in the door jamb. That will tell you what the car left Brampton with. Easy squeezy, lemon peezy.
 #382197  by In-trepid
 February 5th, 2020, 2:03 pm
Robert, if we were talking 2002 or 2003 Special, I agree with you. Unfortunately with 2004 models they used what was left over in some cases. I have the build sheet for my car and all indications are it should have the bigger sway bar, so that is what I ordered for bushings.
 #382198  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 5th, 2020, 2:13 pm
John, have you actually found a 2004 Special that had the 18s and that didn't have the bigger bars?
That is very surprising to me, I've never heard of that before.
 #382200  by In-trepid
 February 5th, 2020, 3:20 pm
Ryan, no I have not found that setup. What I do have in my other 2004 gray 300m Special (still without the engine) is the large sway bar in the front with 17 inch wheels. I don't know what sway bar size is in the rear. Unlike 2002 where all Specials had 18 inch wheels, in 2003 and 2004 Specials were standard with the 17 inch wheels and 18 inch wheels were a no cost option. The 2004 silver Special that Steve now has came with a small front sway bar and 17 inch wheels. I don't know what that one has for a rear sway bar. So to sum it up, it's possible that all Specials with 18 inch wheels only had the larger front and rear sway bars, but with the 17 inch wheels it appears that either sway bar (at least fronts) could have been used.

It is my belief that front knuckles and struts / springs are the same for all Specials.
 #382201  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 5th, 2020, 5:36 pm
In-trepid wrote:Ryan, no I have not found that setup. What I do have in my other 2004 gray 300m Special (still without the engine) is the large sway bar in the front with 17 inch wheels. I don't know what sway bar size is in the rear. Unlike 2002 where all Specials had 18 inch wheels, in 2003 and 2004 Specials were standard with the 17 inch wheels and 18 inch wheels were a no cost option. The 2004 silver Special that Steve now has came with a small front sway bar and 17 inch wheels. I don't know what that one has for a rear sway bar. So to sum it up, it's possible that all Specials with 18 inch wheels only had the larger front and rear sway bars, but with the 17 inch wheels it appears that either sway bar (at least fronts) could have been used.

It is my belief that front knuckles and struts / springs are the same for all Specials.
John, I know about the differences in 2003 and 2004, my understanding was that Chrysler had stated that when you opted for the 17s in those years, you received the base front and rear sway bars.
If you opted for the 18s, you got the larger "Special" front and rear bars.
It is interesting to me that your gray 04 sans engine had the larger front bar with the 17s.
I'd wonder if maybe those 17s were not actually original to the car as I have never heard of such mixing before.

Although I've never owned a Special with the 17s, I've always avoided them because I didn't want the smaller bars.
 #382202  by EasyRider300M
 February 5th, 2020, 5:40 pm
Another interesting note was that if you ordered the Special with the 18 wheels, the tires were performance tires that could not be used in snow country. If you ordered the 17 inch wheels, they came with all season tires which were adequate for winter driving.
 #382209  by Countachqv
 February 6th, 2020, 6:02 pm
In-trepid wrote: February 5th, 2020, 3:20 pm ....in 2003 and 2004 Specials were standard with the 17 inch wheels and 18 inch wheels were a no cost option....
I did not know that. Who in their right mind would not order the 18 inch option at no cost ??? Why would buy a Special without that?
Sound like a practical joke: We sell you a Special at a Special price. All the Special improvements are optional and you may request them at no cost but we don't tell. If you don't ask, you get a base with a Special badge at a Special price.
My head is spinning from so much marketing genius creativity!
 #382214  by In-trepid
 February 6th, 2020, 10:59 pm
I think all of the other Special parts are standard on the Special. It's just the sway bars and 17 inch chrome "Special"wheels that were different in 03 and 04. As Ryan says, I was always under the impression that big 18 inch wheels have the big sway bars and 17 inch wheels have the small sway bars. It makes no sense to me why they went to 17 inch wheels standard in 03 and 04, but I will say the taller tires handle the road imperfections much better and ride a lot smoother even with the Special struts that were the same regardless of which wheels you had.