Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Need some help please.

• Discussions on suspension & steering repairs or upgrades.
Membership Banner

Discussions on suspension & steering repairs or upgrades.

Moderator: Moderators

#383078  by Knucklz23
 March 26th, 2020, 5:01 pm
Hey everyone I’m new to this forum and was hoping someone could help me out with this problem I’ve had cause I’m at a loss.

I have a 03 special that had steering issues as well as suspension issues when i bought it originally. The car seemed to have a mind of its own when driving. Liked to pull both ways without braking or accelerating but does it worse it seems when i do. The suspension was shot cause the previous owner was a field worker and didn’t take care of it. The power steering fluid was a milky color was which I flushed the fluid and now it’s fine. But here’s a list of what I’ve done.

Replaced the control arm
Replaced in and outer tie rod ends. The inner bushings I’ve replaced twice now.
Both struts in front.
I believe the strut rods and all the bushings.
Rear sway bar links too.

Yet I’m still having the same issue with the steering mainly. Still wanders. I really don’t wanna replace the rack and pinion. Cause i think that’s all there’s left. You think a reseal kit would help? Any suggestions would help too. Thanks in advance
 #383096  by M-Pressive
 March 27th, 2020, 6:55 am
I am sure someone else will jump in as will but how are your tires?

I was getting a lot of wandering with the car and it ended up needing new tires.
 #383097  by FIREM
 March 27th, 2020, 7:51 am
Lots of parts but no improvement ? Basics first: Tires, age, condition, inflation pressure. Maybe swap front/ rear to see if anything changes. No loose parts/ play in joints/ ends / steering shaft u joint. Many “chain” tire shops will do a check for free. Just make them show you what they “find” to verify the condition. Rear suspension OK? Loose shifting rear parts could produce wandering. Front and rear cradle mounts all ok? After you are sure nothing is loose/ has play Alignment? Proper 4 wheel with before and after results printed for review. Report back your results.
 #383098  by Knucklz23
 March 27th, 2020, 8:12 am
Tires have just been replaced. Did improve a little. Rear shocks do need to be replaced. Don’t have the cash at the moment. I’ll check the cradle mounts today. Has been aligned recently and showed that I need camber bolts for the rear I believe. I’ve bought 2 already. Just not 100% sure how to install them because they’re 3 or so different ways in the instructions that came with it.
 #383105  by In-trepid
 March 27th, 2020, 2:40 pm
Do you have the printout from the alignment? That would be helpful. Also, camber bolts adjust the front wheel camber. It usually takes these bolts to get it in spec. The back camber adjustment is achieved by replacing the lateral link that is solid with one which is adjustable. These two items (2 camber cam bolts - one per side and two rear adjustable lateral links - one per side) will alow you to set the alignment to the middle of factory specs. The front camber bolt can be used in either the top or bottom strut mount bolt holes. Personally I prefer the bottom, but I have seen it done either way and it works just fine. If you need more than one cam bolt on either side to get into spec, there is another issue. My suspicision is that you may have a caster problem. This is usually caused by the strut rod bushings being bad or the strut rods themselves not being tight or the engine cradle subframe has moved. If everything with the strut rods is good and the cradle bushings are good, the only adjustment for caster is to loosen the cradle mounts and shift the cradle back or forth on one side or the other. Most alignment shops will not even attempt this and tell you caster is not adjustable.
 #383109  by beespecial
 March 27th, 2020, 3:30 pm
Knucklz23 wrote: March 26th, 2020, 5:01 pm ...Yet I’m still having the same issue with the steering mainly. Still wanders. I really don’t wanna replace the rack and pinion. Cause i think that’s all there’s left. You think a reseal kit would help? Any suggestions would help too. Thanks in advance
While rack failures on our cars are rare, it does still happen. I had much front-end suspension work done on my car that corrected a clunk as well as replaced the front struts. Not long thereafter the car began wandering back and forth. Correct to stop a drift to one side and then it would begin drifting in the direction of the correction. Turned out that the rack went bad and needed to be replaced. New rack immediately fixed my problem with wandering.

Also, be sure that your inner tierod bushing bolts are still tight. I once didn't get the securing tab bent down on the bolt good enough and the bolt started backing out. The result was sloppy, wandering steering.