Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Pinnacle Chrysler proven their DRBIII can't be trusted!

• Post about dealer experiences
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Post about dealer experiences

Moderator: Moderators

#153059  by 85merk

i just beat the snot out of the 5 star dealership i go to.
i proved their $9000 DRB III is a piece of sh*t in the hands of incompetency and that is REQUIRES a non-vehicle specific third party tool to confirm changes made when it has to do with messing with the pinion/tire settings when a customer complains about his speedometer.

they had to send me out with my prefered mechanic there to defuse the situation.

he was beside himself after it was all over.
he couldn't believe his $9000 tool was proven wrong by a $150 GPS.
furthermore, you guys remember the OBD2 software i'm working on?
ya...i brought that along too....Virtual Dash FTW!!!
he was like damn, you just shot us down with $500 gear.
so now he's going to bring this issue up with the current manager (but which he's taking over, thank god!!!) and is going to request that ALL future speedo adjustments be verified by third party such as a GPS .
he's now worried they've sent out god knows how many customers on the road with improper DRBIII pinion calibrations.

i wish i could have taken a picture of the pinion options, i know Bill Putney here would have loved this info, but all SEVEN choices were DIFFERENT in results, even though they're all the "same size tire" dimensionally.

I'm currently running a 17" rim MOTORSPORT pinion now, which is not what i have for real, but it gave the BEST accuracy beating out the stock 245 setting which was off 5km/h, now i'm only off 2 km/h 8)

We spent over 2 hours on this ride along because we needed to hit our highway to test things at 75 mph.

My mechanic's name is Gary, and i highly recommend him, and i hope he gets the position as the next service manager.
We both learned something that day, and I did not pursue the $50 refund i originally asked for, i felt all the information learned that day was worth it.

And now that he's aware of this, he said when i swap back to my summer wheels, to come by and we'll go and pick the best pinion setting that matches the GPS at no charge 8)

My biggest concern, which i let him know of course, was that if you couldn't trust the pinion settings in the DRBIII, what other settings can you not trust?
What other things you have been using the DRBIII for that possibly were wrong?
Imagine wanting to adjust trans pressure settings and thinking the numbers you are reading are correct...but they're not...ouch :shock:

#153068  by Ledgic_13

so with said knowledge , what do you use instead if "drb3's" are causing errors?

#153110  by 85merk

Ledgic_13 wrote:so with said knowledge , what do you use instead if "drb3's" are causing errors?
well grab another DRBIII, that's what i would do.
in my line of work you never ever rely on one tool either.
they have one old DRBIII for the entire dealership, that's what i mean.
 #153163  by IS300M

85merk wrote:i just beat the snot out of the 5 star dealership i go to.
i proved their $9000 DRB III is a piece of sh*t in the hands of incompetency and that is REQUIRES a non-vehicle specific third party tool to confirm changes made when it has to do with messing with the pinion/tire settings when a customer complains about his speedometer.

they had to send me out with my prefered mechanic there to defuse the situation.

he was beside himself after it was all over.
he couldn't believe his $9000 tool was proven wrong by a $150 GPS.
furthermore, you guys remember the OBD2 software i'm working on?
ya...i brought that along too....Virtual Dash FTW!!!
he was like damn, you just shot us down with $500 gear.
so now he's going to bring this issue up with the current manager (but which he's taking over, thank god!!!) and is going to request that ALL future speedo adjustments be verified by third party such as a GPS .
he's now worried they've sent out god knows how many customers on the road with improper DRBIII pinion calibrations.

i wish i could have taken a picture of the pinion options, i know Bill Putney here would have loved this info, but all SEVEN choices were DIFFERENT in results, even though they're all the "same size tire" dimensionally.

I'm currently running a 17" rim MOTORSPORT pinion now, which is not what i have for real, but it gave the BEST accuracy beating out the stock 245 setting which was off 5km/h, now i'm only off 2 km/h 8)

We spent over 2 hours on this ride along because we needed to hit our highway to test things at 75 mph.

My mechanic's name is Gary, and i highly recommend him, and i hope he gets the position as the next service manager.
We both learned something that day, and I did not pursue the $50 refund i originally asked for, i felt all the information learned that day was worth it.

And now that he's aware of this, he said when i swap back to my summer wheels, to come by and we'll go and pick the best pinion setting that matches the GPS at no charge 8)

My biggest concern, which i let him know of course, was that if you couldn't trust the pinion settings in the DRBIII, what other settings can you not trust?
What other things you have been using the DRBIII for that possibly were wrong?
Imagine wanting to adjust trans pressure settings and thinking the numbers you are reading are correct...but they're not...ouch :shock:
Might it have to do with the special has the 2.7L transmission, and the motorsport pinion is based off the 3.2/3.5L transmission?
 #153185  by 85merk

IS300M wrote:Might it have to do with the special has the 2.7L transmission, and the motorsport pinion is based off the 3.2/3.5L transmission?
good suggestion.

maybe there's nothing wrong with the DRB3 at all, maybe it's just Chrysler's screw up in programming the 7 available tire sizes.
see that's the thing, how many people have actually over time tested and proven those settings to work?
my dealership sure as hell hasn't for a 300M.

all i know now, is that next time i change to my summer set and we change the pinion again, we're going to pick one of the 7 that matches the GPS the closest (and for the record, i'll make a note of what each setting results in)