Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • So I took my shot and...foul tip

• Yes some people clean their engine, some don't. You know who you are. :)
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Yes some people clean their engine, some don't. You know who you are. :)

Moderator: Moderators

#200252  by JMak

Cleaned the engine this weekend...and didn't go so well. I couldn't find that Orange Blaster product that Jason used and recommended. So I went with just Black Magic's 2-in-1 Engine Cleaner/Shine product. Warmed up the engine, and coated it per the instructions. Rinsed very well and let air dry for an hour or so. Not very good.

No shine left behind and the product didn't remove the majority of dirt off the top of the engine, the plenum I think it is. The air box and box above that plus the caps and bottles were clean, but the plenum remained rather dirty. So I coated the engine, again, and this time, use a nylon brush to scrube the plenum and a few other areas. Rinsed well and let air dry. Still not very good. Dirt left behind and not even a hint of a shine on the plenum, though the air box and box above it were a little darker black.

I think later this week I'll try that Simple Green Automotive and then hit the engine with with some sort of dressing treatment as some others have.

I didn't get a pictures before I started, but I'll take some of the way it looks now and then after the next effort.
 #200273  by 300maximilien

Sorry to hear that. I just use good old Engine Brite! The one on the right. Spray/Scrub/Rinse
 #200277  by Timbo

I have never heard of any cleaner that will work without some scrubbing. If you just have light dirt and dust it is one thing. But heavy dirt nothing is better then scrubbing.
 #200335  by 300M_Brat

Timbo wrote:I have never heard of any cleaner that will work without some scrubbing. If you just have light dirt and dust it is one thing. But heavy dirt nothing is better then scrubbing.

I agree.... As long as you stay ontop of it, plain old soap and water with a soft brush is all you will ever need.

#205175  by 300man86

just be careful using any type of degreaser. Too strong and it will pull off the paint on the inside of the fenders.
 #205177  by 300maximilien

IAJack wrote:Simple Green!
They make a special formulated automotive one now.
 #205210  by GoofySenior

I don't think you will get the plenum to "shine" without coating it with something. The way it's made it was not made to be a bright shiny surface.

Dave
 #205219  by swalker

Soap and water with blow dry for the win. Then "secret" spray, rince and blow dry again. Bingo Showroom Fresh.
 #205227  by IAJack

I have also finished up with one of the spray on foam type tire dressings too. Spray with Simple Green, rinse, dry with leaf blower and then spray on tire dressing and let it dry.