Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • NGK from O'Reilly not the one we need?

• Get your T-25 torx wrench and come on in!
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Get your T-25 torx wrench and come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

#260027  by dusankrag

I just purchased spark plugs (again), since my mechanic installed me Champion ones (and i think he installed single platinum)....
So, after i found out that OEM plugs for Special are NGKs, i went to buy them at once. All Autozone stores don't have them in stock. Checked sparkplugs.com and found NGKs (double platinum part number ZFR5LP-13G, stock number 7781) for $7.16 a piece. At O'Reilly, they were $5.49. So I went there and bought them. Then while I was driving back home I opened the box to take a look at them and saw that they were made in USA. And on the all pictures of NGKs you can see Made in JAPAN. And then, when I looked at the back of the box it says SINGLE PLATINUM (and the part number for these plugs is the same, ZFR5LP-13G, stock number 7781). Also, the letter "R" on the plug is not underlined like on those that u see at sparkplugs.com made in japan.
Now, are the ones that i bought the ones that I need? Are they made in USA? Are they suppose to be single platinum? Here are the pictures
IMAG01181111.jpg
IMAG01171111.jpg
IMAG01191111.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #260029  by 300maximilien

how about a picture of the business end that you covered up with your thumb!

I think sparkplugs.com description is just incorrect
 #260039  by LUNAT1C

Factory is single platinum. I think I still have my factory originals in my backback at home. I'll take a look in a couple of hours (staying late at work!). 7781 sounds familiar but I can't remember exactly the part number. I do know that the factory used NGK Laser Platinum and there was only ONE electrode. Double platinum is not necessarily better, BTW.
 #260043  by jim2891

Those are the same NGK plugs that I ordered from rockauto.com for my '04 (non-special with PHP). I can't say where they are manufactured and the only reference to Japan that I see on the packaging is where it says the complete corporate name (NGK Spark Plug Co. LTD., Nagoya Japan). I haven't changed my plugs yet (I'm assuming I still have the originals installed) but it's on the agenda for this summer.
 #260046  by EasyRider300M

jim2891 wrote:Those are the same NGK plugs that I ordered from rockauto.com for my '04 (non-special with PHP). I can't say where they are manufactured and the only reference to Japan that I see on the packaging is where it says the complete corporate name (NGK Spark Plug Co. LTD., Nagoya Japan). I haven't changed my plugs yet (I'm assuming I still have the originals installed) but it's on the agenda for this summer.
post a pic of the old plugs---111k is a lot of miles on one set of plugs
 #260057  by Bill Putney

Some facts:
(1) In spark gaps, metal erodes from the positive electrode - *very* little wear from the negative (ground) electrode. (2) The reason metals like platinum are put on the electrodes is to reduce that wear on the positive electrode. For normal ignitions, there is no benefit to putting platinum on both electrodes.
(3) Double-plat plugs were developed because there are some ignitions, called "waste spark" ignitions, in which half the plugs fire opposite the normal direction, so on those plugs, the ground electrode wears faster. When these cars come from the factory, the plugs that fire backwards actually come with platinum on just the ground electrode - the others come with platinum on just the center electrode (i.e., the same engine comes with two different part number plugs). So that dealers don't have to stock two different replacement plug part numbers for those engines, they developed double-platinum plugs. Otherwise there is no benefit to the extra cost of platinum on both electrodes.

There are some plugs for normal ignitions (single-polarity plugs) that have iridium on the center electrode and platinum on the ground electrode. Iridium is much more resistant to wear than platinum - so by extending the life of both electrodes more or less proportionally, they would have an even longer overall life (than just platinum on the center electrode).
 #260072  by 02sxt

I think you're good with those. Same thing I put in my car a while ago.
 #260119  by dusankrag

300maximilien wrote:how about a picture of the business end that you covered up with your thumb!
IMAG0125.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #260123  by paintballdude05

They look the same as what I put in.