Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Do you warm up your M in the winter?

• Gotta Poll, post it here
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Gotta Poll, post it here

Moderator: Moderators

#153437  by Candyman

I wish 40 was considered cold here! I am fortunate enough to have a garage, as it at least keeps the snow ice and wind off of it. Temp doesn't stay much warmer. Typical lows here in the winter or 20s to 30s so I may get about 5-8 degrees warmer than that.

I do not pre-heat it unless it has been sitting outside and needs cleaned off, in which case I throw on the caboose warmers while I'm scraping and brushing away! I do however, let the idle come down before throwing it into gear, usually from 1200 down to about 800rpm.

#153440  by Bill Putney

The word on the street not too many years ago was that a garage was the worst place to keep a car in the winter. IIRC, it was because, if the roads were salted, it was better if the car was outside in the cold where the snow and ice packed into the fenders and frame stayed frozen and the salt remained inert. If you pulled it in a heated garage and let it sit all night, everything melted, and the salt and water mix became most active and would rust the car to pieces in just a few years. May not be as much of a consideration these days with the better corrosion resistance.

#182103  by rome

I live in wi and most people here who actualy care about their car/engine and own cold protection let it warm up a little before shifting to drive!

Last winter around the time this first posted i forced my 99 concorde toward drive gears and broke the shift assembly and streched the cable! It was froven and i was in a rush, did not save any time that day!

let your car warm up a little when very cold for best results in my opinion!

#182147  by SPAD3

For those without a garage, I suggest using a car cover, $40 works like a charm. One pull and all clean. As for me I let it warm up the tranny 5-10min. I once burnt a transmission one time out of jealous rage, 5am and 80MPH on a cold start in 0 degree weather is no good... :shock:

#182153  by grayslater

I don't believe idling the car in park is very effective in warming up the transmission??

Driving the car sensibly until the car is at operating temperature and doing routine maintenance (flushes and/or pan drops) with the proper ATF+4 will do you better IMHO.

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/i ... cfm?attr=8
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/consumer/tips/driving.html
http://www.dot.gov.nt.ca/_live/pages/wp ... rTips.aspx

#182163  by SPAD3

I dunno if it does or not, but the car seems to shift better when I let it warm it up than if it was on a cold start.

#182176  by Nitrohog

The TCM delays shifts when the transmission is cold. I usually just take it easy driving through town, by the time I get to the 55 zone the temp is starting to come up. As for the car cover, I would be afraid of the salt and sand scratching the crap out of the car when you pulled the cover off.

#182226  by beespecial

I have to agree with Cory on this one. Just taking it easy and driving sensibly as it comes up to operating temp has worked for me for years.

#182253  by 85merk

dude300m wrote:I dunno if it does or not, but the car seems to shift better when I let it warm it up than if it was on a cold start.
thank you thank you thank you!
another person who's noticed this.

i've also noticed the TQ lockup takes almost exactly 5 mins to engage once moving at 55 mph constant from cold.

#182344  by Croff

I usually warm it up till the revs drop under 1000p/min. It takes about 1 minute I think. Then I gently drive away in first or second at idle speed and when I reach street very easily accelerate

#182346  by Nitrohog

This is copied out of the FSM transmission section.

Extreme Cold: Oil temperature at start up below
26.6°C (-16°F)
> Goes to Cold schedule above -24°C (-12°F) oil
temperature
> Park, Reverse, Neutral and 2nd gear only (prevents
shifting which may fail a clutch with frequent
shifts)
Cold: Oil temperature at start up above -24°C
(-12°F) and below 2.2°C (36°F)
> Goes to Warm schedule above 4.4°C (40°F) oil
temperature
> Delayed 2-3 upshift approximately 35-50 Km/h
(22 - 31 MPH)
> Delayed 3-4 upshift 72-85 Km/h (45-53 MPH)
> Early 4-3 coastdown shift approximately 48
Km/h (30 MPH)
> Early 3-2 coastdown shift approximately 27
Km/h (17 MPH)
> High speed 4-2, 3-2, 2-1 kickdown shifts are
prevented
> No EMCC
Warm: Oil temperature at start up above 2.2°C
(36°F) and below 27°C (80°F)
> Goes to a Hot schedule above 27°C (80°F) oil
temperature
> Normal operation (upshifts, kickdowns, and
coastdowns)
> No EMCC
Hot: Oil temperature at start up above 27°C (80°F)
> Goes to a Overheat schedule above 115°C (240°F)
oil temperature
> Normal operation (upshifts, kickdowns, and
coastdowns)
> Full EMCC, No PEMCC except to engage
FEMCC, except at closed throttle at speeds above
113-133 Km/h (70 - 83 MPH)
 #273334  by bryna

We always let ours run for at least 5 to 10 minutes in the winter... not sure if its more for comfort or what but I think getting all the fluids warmed up help the cars systems run better. No real science here but the groans and creeking noises aren't as loud when its warm.
 #273539  by tinman

I live in Florida. Sometimes my M is in the garage, sometimes it trades places with my Aspen. Whether in the garage or not, it always warms up. The beauty of where I live is that it is one mile of 20 mph driving to get to the main drag where I gotta move (45 mph and traffic). My M gets warmed up nicely.
 #273542  by Maximus

Always warm it up. About 10 to 15 minutes works for me especially when the temperature goes below 5 degrees which is did yesterday morning. She still moaned and groaned. I think this car does not like the cold weather. She moans and groans more than any other car I owned. :lol:

The warm up on my car with the new rad is awsome now.
 #273557  by EasyRider300M

Old power steering fluid can cause a groaning sound on very cold startup conditions. If you haven't done so, change your power steering fluid and use only atf-4
Maximus wrote:Always warm it up. About 10 to 15 minutes works for me especially when the temperature goes below 5 degrees which is did yesterday morning. She still moaned and groaned. I think this car does not like the cold weather. She moans and groans more than any other car I owned. :lol:

The warm up on my car with the new rad is awsome now.