Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Changing the Coolant Reservoir

• Do we need to change that Long Life Coolant anyway?
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Do we need to change that Long Life Coolant anyway?

Moderator: Moderators

#275371  by DrivesLikeAGirl

Hi everyone--

I discovered a crack in the seam of my coolant reservoir two days ago. My husband is attempting to change it today (or possibly tomorrow). Are there any tricks we need to know or is it fairly easy? Does the car need to be jacked up or is it all under the hood? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
 #275378  by 02sxt

It's very easy, all under the hood. Remove the 2 clamps (1 up top, 1 at bottom of reservoir), remove the hoses, replace, refill. You'll have to tilt the reservoir a bit to get to the bottom hose clamp.
Wolfe359_01 liked this
 #275381  by DrivesLikeAGirl

Thanks so much! That's a relief. The hubby wasn't sure if he would need help or not. It sounds like I could do it, but I'm intimidated even by the easiest car things. I wish I had mechanical tendancies. :-(
 #275383  by YardleyBill

DrivesLikeAGirl wrote:Thanks so much! That's a relief. The hubby wasn't sure if he would need help or not. It sounds like I could do it, but I'm intimidated even by the easiest car things. I wish I had mechanical tendancies. :-(
You've come to the right place.

I can barely start my own car, and I've accomplished a lot of stuff thanks to this forum.
 #275400  by Bill Putney

You're going to lose a little coolant during the work, but not much since the reservoir and its hoses are above everything else, but tell him to do what he can to keep the ends of the hoses elevated while they are disconnected so coolant in the top of the engine doesn't pour out.