Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Polished hood/trunk struts.

• LH Performance Modification Discussions
Membership Banner

LH Performance Modification Discussions
 #281892  by davidlb512
 May 13th, 2012, 7:54 pm
It has never occured to me to do this to the struts, but it looks really good IMO. FbodyRS96 over at v6f-body.com did this write up, and I asked him about sharing it over here, since we have struts for our hoods and trunks too. What do you guys think about this mod? I'm thinking it will look very good on my silver M!!! Anyway, here's the write-up.

Courtesy of fbodyrs96 http://v6f-body.com/member.php?u=334
A quick way to make your Hood and Rear Hatch Struts look like new.

Things you need:

Sand Paper: grit 320-400-800-1000 and 1500 (this is what I already had, you my use different products.)
Wire Wheel (optional for the 320)
Assistant/Extra set of hands (Not necessary but definitely helpful when lifting heavy hatch/hood)
Clear Coat spray paint or
a can of Fluid Film
Expect Approx. 1 hour per strut

Process:

Remove the strut: On the ball & socket joint that attaches to the actual hood/hatch you'll see a small slit in the socket where you'll insert a flat-head screwdriver in place to pop the socket off the ball. Remove the old strut now and have your assistant slowly lower the hood/hatch.
Clean the black paint off with 320 grit sand paper or a wire wheel.
Then sand the bare metal with 400 grit...then 800...then 1000...then 1500... wet sanding worked the best once you're to the 800.
After that polish with a quality metal polish of your choice (if you have a bench grinder use it with a polishing wheel) or dremel tool.
Reinstall is reverse of removal.
Consider finishing off with a coat or two of clear coat, or Fluid Film to avoid any rusting/oxidation to the now exposed metal.
Now stand back and enjoy your new polished struts!

#281898  by IS300M
 May 13th, 2012, 8:19 pm
Reminds me of when I was in Germany at the airport waiting for our driver, and there was a livery car that was a 2011 VW Phaeton and I noticed the Trunk hinges cause the struts were polished like this:

If I had a dark color car, I would be all over this.
 #281901  by LUNAT1C
 May 13th, 2012, 8:40 pm
Interesting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
 #281909  by IS300M
 May 13th, 2012, 10:07 pm
A better shot on a dark phaeton.
 #281914  by SPAD3
 May 14th, 2012, 1:02 am
Wow, that is nice! I may have to do this.