Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • My Car Overheated on me today!!!!

• Do we need to change that Long Life Coolant anyway?
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Do we need to change that Long Life Coolant anyway?

Moderator: Moderators

#286960  by FISK50

My car overheated on me today, my coolant reservoir tank cracked on me that I got from NAPA, first I added water to the tank dove it, it overheated again and stop and won't start. So I had it tow. It won't turn over at all. I hope I didn't damage my engine. Did a key dance no code what so ever came up.i can here the starter clicking but won't turn over.I just hope my heads are not warped. I don't want send my baby the junk yard at all nor do I want to pay out the wazoo to get it fix, stuck between a rock and hard place....
 #286965  by Bill Putney

Sorry this has happened Tony. Hoping against hope that it's not what you think. You said the starter is clicking - not turning the engine over. Possibly the starter is just not working, unrelated to engine damage that may or may not be there. Or the engine may be hydrolocked (from a head gasket leak). But first, find out why the starter is not turning the engine over. Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised to find that it is unrelated to the overheating.

The reserviors that NAPA sells are the Dorman ones, third party labeld as Balkamp. 2.7 owners are thinking they are saving money by buying the Dorman engine coolant outlet housings and are finding that they also fail within a few weeks or months. I suggest that, unless they *know* that what they are getting is good, people stay away from aftermarket in general and Dorman in particular for all *critical* parts and spend the extra money on OEM for those parts (with some exceptions like aftermarket PCV valves and tie rod adjuster sleeves).
 #286970  by FISK50

Plus my I think my battery is low because my alarm doesn't sound alive when I armed it. Thanks bill, I hope its not as bad I as I thought it would be. I'll keep you posted guys.
 #286971  by Brando26

I seem to remember SPAD3 having to replace a starter because coolant got in it from the heater hose that rusted open. The coolant bottle could easily leak onto the starter. Could be the issue there. You might just need a battery and a starter.

sent from my HTC smart phone
 #286984  by FISK50

I hope so, but the funny thing is that I just replaced the starter couple months ago....
 #287075  by FISK50

Good news, I jump started my 02'special with my '99 and yes she alive...... So I swapped out that doorman piece of (CENSORED) that crack on me and fill it up with G05 and ran it around the block couple of times with the A/C on and everything looks good, but I need a new battery which I'm going to pick up today, and I just left NAPA told the guy there that the coolant tank crack on me he told me to bring it back for a credit. So you know i'm going take it ASAP right after work.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343319460.798910.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #287077  by TrueBlue

That's a cool pic. Glad to hear everything's up and running. I hate those apprehensive "not knowing" moments...
 #287085  by FISK50

Thanks true blue, yeah man I wasn't up for going through I need a new engine ordeal.(CENSORED) I just finished coming from a Subaru stealership looking at some forester's and outback's... Crazy.....
 #287119  by FISK50

What's good battery to get for my car...any suggestions guys?????
 #287122  by Arved

Bill Putney wrote:The reserviors that NAPA sells are the Dorman ones, third party labeld as Balkamp. 2.7 owners are thinking they are saving money by buying the Dorman engine coolant outlet housings and are finding that they also fail within a few weeks or months. I suggest that, unless they *know* that what they are getting is good, people stay away from aftermarket in general and Dorman in particular for all *critical* parts and spend the extra money on OEM for those parts (with some exceptions like aftermarket PCV valves and tie rod adjuster sleeves).
Oh oh. During the overheating caused by low water caused by the pinhole leak in my radiator... I developed a crack in the expansion tank just above the horizontal seam. Would NOT hold water. Closest place with a tank in stock was... you guessed it: Napa.

Thing is, it looks like an OEM part. Nice thick plastic.

Well, after this warning, I'll be replacing it. Thanks Bill!
 #287132  by Bill Putney

Arved wrote:...Thing is, it looks like an OEM part. Nice thick plastic.
So they buy the molds from some previous supplier and feed it whatever type and grade of plastic they feel like using.
Well, after this warning, I'll be replacing it. Thanks Bill!
You're welcome, Arved. Robert (LUNATIC - that's his posting name - I'm not calling him one :) ) has inside info. that says they changed the plastic they were using at some point to improve/fix the problem - so you may have gotten a better one depending on when it was made.