Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Poll: PCV valve replacement-did you have to replace the hose

• Gotta Poll, post it here
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Gotta Poll, post it here

Moderator: Moderators

Did you have to replace the PVC hose when you replaced the pcv valve

My car has just the hose and it was cracked/deteriorated and I had to replace it
31%
My car has the hose with heat exchanger and it was cracked/deteriorated and I had to replace it.
No votes
0%
My car has the hose with exchanger and was deteriorated. I was able to splice on a piece of hose
13%
My car has the hose with heat exchanger and didn't need replacement when I replaced the pcv valve
38%
My car has just the hose (without exchanger) and didn't need replacement when I replaced the pcv valve
19%
 #289099  by EasyRider300M

If you replaced your PCV valve, did you find that the hose or hose with heat exchanger had deteriorated and thus needed replacement too? Or were you able to reuse the hose or hose with heat exchanger. Answer the poll and add your comments.
 #289113  by mister300m

I can't seem to get the hose off of the pcv valve to replace it my hands won't fit in there but I am pretty certain the hose will break because it is hard as a rock. Also do all of 300's have a heat exchanger?
 #289114  by EasyRider300M

perhaps spraying silicone spray on the connection area will loosen it enough to remove the valve---maybe leave it on overnight--let us know how you make out

I believe earlier Ms (99-01) did not have the exchanger. Later years did have it and it is expensive to replace.
 #289126  by Bill Putney

mister300m wrote:I can't seem to get the hose off of the pcv valve to replace it my hands won't fit in there but I am pretty certain the hose will break...
If it's never been replaced before, likely it will break - but then it's ovedue anyway. Rotating is the best way to break the bond between hose and valve. If you can get your hand in there to hold the hose while you turn the valve with a wrench, that should work. Since you're likely going to have to (should) replace it anyway, maybe don't worry about breaking the bond.
 #289187  by 300maximilien

Bill Putney wrote: Rotating is the best way to break the bond between hose and valve. If you can get your hand in there to hold the hose while you turn the valve with a wrench, that should work. Since you're likely going to have to (should) replace it anyway, maybe don't worry about breaking the bond.
x2
 #289192  by mister300m

Bill Putney wrote:
mister300m wrote:I can't seem to get the hose off of the pcv valve to replace it my hands won't fit in there but I am pretty certain the hose will break...
If it's never been replaced before, likely it will break - but then it's ovedue anyway. Rotating is the best way to break the bond between hose and valve. If you can get your hand in there to hold the hose while you turn the valve with a wrench, that should work. Since you're likely going to have to (should) replace it anyway, maybe don't worry about breaking the bond.
Thank I will have to give this a try the valve is most likley origanal equipnment.
 #289252  by mister300m

I got the pcv out tonight and broke the hose in the process the hose was hard as a rock and the pcv valve was pretty well gummed up,I will replace with new parts and run a can of seafoam through it then put new plugs and wire on it.
 #289257  by EasyRider300M

mister300m wrote:I got the pcv out tonight and broke the hose in the process the hose was hard as a rock and the pcv valve was pretty well gummed up,I will replace with new parts and run a can of seafoam through it then put new plugs and wire on it.
Were you burning any oil between oil changes? A gummed up pcv valve can cause excess oil burning. How long have you owned the car? I wonder if that was the original pcv valve? If so, it was obviously way way overdue for a change.
 #289258  by Bill Putney

al - Also check the condition of the crankcase vent hose (from the passenger side valve cover to the intake tube) - it is also part of the PCV system. Careful with the nipple that plugs into the vlave cover - it can break from the force of removing a brittle hose - I think if you order a new hose, it comes with it - maybe not - if not, order separately.
 #289269  by mister300m

My dad bought the car used in 2001 had I believe 23000 thousand miles on it I got it from him in 05 with 125000 thousand miles on it mileage now 219000 thousand miles on it I am pretty certain it was the orginial pcv valve I will have to check the other hose Thanks for the tip Bill.
 #289318  by EasyRider300M

You should check your pcv valve at 30k miles of use and replace if the inner piece does not freely move when shaking the valve. At 60k miles, if not previously replaced, you should automatically replace it to prevent problems. Some here recommend replacing every 30k miles whether it is gummed up or not.

For those with the expensive heat exchanger, you could possibly use a regular pcv hose and splice into the remaining good part of the hose by using a proper sized splice adapter such as sold on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... se+splicer