Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Seafoam Usage In Crankcase

• Gotta Poll, post it here
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Gotta Poll, post it here

Moderator: Moderators

Seafoam in crankcase?

I put seafoam in the intake and crankcase.
9%
I put it only in the crankcase.
9%
I put it only in the intake.
No votes
0%
I would never use seafoam.
82%
 #294883  by InfernoLime

So I plan on doing a seafoam cleaning. From what I understand, I should put some drops slowly into the pcv value system as the engine runs. (Correct me if i'm wrong). And some in the fuel tank. About 1/3 of the can in each right?

Also, I have heard mixed words as to whether this will be bad for my spark plugs. They are relatively new and its only about 30$ for new ones but I don't want to replace them again. I have read that at worst I will need to wipe them off but can still use them, and some people say don't even need to do that. What does the club think in terms of spark plugs and seafoam?

And now for the poll, did you put seafoam into your crankcase as well? I will be doing an oil change in the next month or so (so i can do it right after the sea foam if I need to). But my car is about 110,000miles and as far as I'm concerned never been seafoamed in the past. Apparently it can be like using a flush machine and loosen particles that aren't doing any harm where they are now. I am not having any issues that would warrant a crankcase cleaning, just want to do some up keeping.
 #294886  by Brando26

I prefer to use marvel mystery oil in the crank case. Been doing that for about a year now. When I did the valve cover gasket change the valve train was beautiful.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
 #294887  by FIREM

Personally I don't use the stuff.....
Tom Romans Shadowvox6 swears by it and has a proceedure he uses. Searched but did not find it.
Maybe PM him for more info.
Involves pouring in thru nipple at the throttle body If I recall....
Once done replace the spark plugs & change the oil.
Did it to one guys car ar Carlisle one year, made so much smoke it set off the fire alarm in the building next to the hotel...
 #294888  by EasyRider300M

Brando: how much mystery oil do you put into the crankcase----I believe it thins the oil a bit
 #294889  by Maximus

Never used it either.
 #294890  by EasyRider300M

I use synthetic oil---will keep the upper engine clean and has many other benefits
 #294892  by EasyRider300M

synthetic oil will gradually clean your engine---I hear though that it's not recommended for older engines that may have too much sludge buildup especially if it was never used earlier in the life of the engine.
 #294893  by 300maximilien

Most better quality oils have excellent detergents to keep the lubrication system clean and sludge free....some even guarantee it.

example
Pennzoil® motor oil is a traditional oil base, fortified with Active Cleansing AgentsÔäó to continuously prevent dirt and contaminants from turning into performance-robbing deposits, helping to keep your engine clean and responsive. In fact, Pennzoil® motor oil cleans out up to 40% of sludge in the first oil change and keeps cleaning all the way to your next oil change.1
 #294895  by jayman2

300maximilien wrote:Most better quality oils have excellent detergents to keep the lubrication system clean and sludge free....some even guarantee it.

example
Pennzoil® motor oil is a traditional oil base, fortified with Active Cleansing AgentsÔäó to continuously prevent dirt and contaminants from turning into performance-robbing deposits, helping to keep your engine clean and responsive. In fact, Pennzoil® motor oil cleans out up to 40% of sludge in the first oil change and keeps cleaning all the way to your next oil change.1
I've been using Mobil1 synthetic in my M and I see it's about the same price as Pennzoil. Does Mobil1 contain Active Cleansing Agents too? In your opinion, which would you prefer.
 #294897  by 300maximilien

That quote is from their DINO OIL, which should be considerably less than Mobil 1. I now use Synthetic Blends in all my cars....and use DINO in the Li'l Red. IMO Synthetic Blends are the best of both worlds.

And yes...Mobil 1 has detergents as well
 #294899  by InfernoLime

300maximilien wrote:That quote is from their DINO OIL, which should be considerably less than Mobil 1. I now use Synthetic Blends in all my cars....and use DINO in the Li'l Red. IMO Synthetic Blends are the best of both worlds.

cool, I use the mobil 1 as well. So I feel i've been talked out of the sea foam cleaner.

Unrelated, but going to change my o2 sensors soon too. Usually get 15mpg all city but still...
 #294900  by jayman2

300maximilien wrote:That quote is from their DINO OIL, which should be considerably less than Mobil 1. I now use Synthetic Blends in all my cars....and use DINO in the Li'l Red. IMO Synthetic Blends are the best of both worlds.

Thanks Craig. I think I'll be sticking with the Mobil 1 for now.
 #294901  by 300maximilien

Mobil 1 is good stuff...

I would do a 5-7K OCI at a minumum if I were using Mobil 1 since it is a full syn. Some go 10K with a filter swap at 5K
 #294905  by jayman2

300maximilien wrote:Mobil 1 is good stuff...

I would do a 5-7K OCI at a minumum if I were using Mobil 1 since it is a full syn. Some go 10K with a filter swap at 5K
Since I'm retired now, and don't drive that much anymore. Right now I'm putting a little less than 3K per year on my M. My last change, I went a little over 11 months using Mobil 1 synthetic and a Mobil filter. I didn't think about a filter swap...maybe I should.
 #294907  by 300maximilien

Les I don't think you would reap any benefits from a filter swap IMO.