Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • 19 inch rims, wheels turn steering

• Wanna put on some cool treads?
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Wanna put on some cool treads?

Moderator: Moderators

#313912  by sacr3

I had a bit of a problem, I got 4 19 inch rims with 10mm spacers and installed them. I drove down the street and realized that every little divet or tiny hill I hit in the road the steering wheel would move left and right (literally turning) like the wheels would turn the steering. I drove 120 down a highway and it felt dangerous, the steering would turn on me here and there.

I brought it into the shop, got both lower balljoints and an inner tier rod replaced and a 4 wheel alignment and I'm still getting this issue.

Is this normal? Since they are bigger wheels they are guiding my steering? Or is something wrong? I mean shouldn't my power steering be able to handle 19 inch rims.

Thanks for your time.
 #313921  by Bill Putney

Did it do it before the wheel change?

What's the wheel offset? Got to add the effect of the spacers too.
 #313922  by 300maximilien

Wider tires tend to wander and follow ruts in the roads more than narrower tires.
 #313923  by sacr3

Not sure about the offset, it came off a 2005 mustang. I needed the spacers to prevent the tire from rubbing against the spring seat. I'm just concerned about these rims, driving at high speeds is dangerous
 #313926  by 300MaximuM

My 18inch special rims like to follow the ruts too. Thats because of the wider tires
 #313929  by LUNAT1C

My 20"x8" SRT Design wheels do have a slight tendency to follow ruts, more pronounced now that I live near Detroit and there are more ruts than there are roads... but at no point does the car ever steer itself in a dangerous manner. Going over a particular rough section of concrete or asphalt I do have to have a firm grip on the steering wheel, but at no point do I ever feel like I'm losing control of the car.

My guess is the spacers you installed are having that effect, in tandem with the RWD offset. Do the wheels stick out at all? My 8" wheels are flush to the fenders and my 245mm tires do not necessitate spacers. What width wheels and what width tires did you install? Does overall wheel and tire diameter closely match the original overall diameter of the factory wheels and tires?

120... MPH or KPH? Big difference... 120 MPH would certainly feel dangerous in any car... lol.
 #313941  by TrueBlue

I have spacers and 19" SRT4 wheels - the tires do like to get in the grooves and pull from side to side, but not yank the tires or pull the wheel out of my hands. Is there any slop in the steering wheel?
 #325915  by ddurr92

unfortunately my M has TRIANGLE tires...will never buy them again...barely can do a curve @ 45 in the rain....but i love the hardness of the tires and the look...i only got them cuz i needed a decent pair ASAP..cuz my kenda radials were on secondary rubber
 #339310  by tafi300M

So folks, what if I stick with my 225/55 tires, but install spacers. 30mm in the back, and 10mm in front? Just for the looks. Will it wander and follow ruts, what it does not do now?
 #339316  by TrueBlue

The spacers won't make the wheels follow ruts, wider rubber will. Are you gonna use the spacers that have their own studs or are you putting in longer studs in the factory hubs?
 #339325  by hrmwrm

tafi300M wrote:So folks, what if I stick with my 225/55 tires, but install spacers. 30mm in the back, and 10mm in front? Just for the looks. Will it wander and follow ruts, what it does not do now?
it will change the characteristics a little, since you are changing the centerline of where the wheel runs which is what the factory geometry is made to work with.
although 10 in the front shouldn't make a difference. if it was 30 all around i would expect some different handling characteristics.
 #339354  by tafi300M

TrueBlue wrote:Are you gonna use the spacers that have their own studs or are you putting in longer studs in the factory hubs?
I don't know yet. It depends a bit about my spacer maker (work mate). What would you do?
 #339356  by TrueBlue

Hubcentric spacers and longer lugs, personally. I consider them a bit safer and they're lighter and less complex than bolting on spacers with additional lugs. :D
 #339384  by tafi300M

Gotcha. Thanks Tom.