Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Waxing the windshield?

• Maybe we should have called this the Zaino forum
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Maybe we should have called this the Zaino forum

Moderator: Moderators

#360768  by InfernoRedM

Didn't see anything on this in a forum search, but I recently saw a video on glass cleaning that seemed pretty good for removing the smeary stuff on the inside. One of the keys is using a Magic Eraser. Those things work pretty well for a lot of stuff, so I'm going to try the sequence, which includes the Magic Eraser. Anyway, after watching the one for cleaning the inside of the glass, I watched the one for exterior glass. After cleaning, this guy uses a high-quality paste wax to do the exterior of the glass. Obviously, it makes the water bead on the glass, but it doesn't strike me as a very good idea.

What opinions are out there? Anyone wax their glass? Anyone have a good reason why you should never wax your windshield?
 #360769  by Shawn1301

I don't know about wax on a windshield, I could see polishing it. But on a hot day your wipers are done if you switch them on doing a hurried signal.
 #360770  by beespecial

I'm a big believer in Rain-X water repellent for the exterior of my cars windows. In a heavy rain I don't really have to use the wipers because the drops just blow off the windshield. The harder it rains the better it works. I would never use wax on the windshield. I think it would too easily rub off with wiper use and cake up on the glass and wipers. No anecdotal evidence of that, just my opinion.
 #360771  by paintballdude05

I believe the wax would wear off in no time thanks to the wipers. I use Aquapel, it works awesome and last much longer than Rain-X does.

http://www.aquapel.com/
 #360774  by adu1982

I have used rain-x once on the lhs, maybe 2 years ago. Maybe I'm crazy but ever since, unlike the other 3 lh cars, the water does still seem to just blow off better.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
 #360776  by tafi300M

I went to automatic car wash 24hrs ago. Spraywax all over. Today it rained all day, had to use wipers, didn't slide off. White residue for the first 20mins, and then all was probably gone. No more white residue. The windshield has pits even when new, so those pits, even small, will be filled with hard wax, if you scrub it in.
I've seen on youtube Ammonyc and Chrisfix waxing the windshield. Maybe it's futile to try to teach old dog new tricks. I mean me.
 #360777  by InfernoRedM

tafi300M wrote:I've seen on youtube Ammonyc and Chrisfix waxing the windshield. Maybe it's futile to try to teach old dog new tricks. I mean me.
Yes, Chris Fix is the guy I was talking about. This is probably one of those preference things, but I'm not sure why a product like RainX stays on a windshield when a long-lasting high-quality wax will not. I have not used either, so I certainly do not speak from experience. :|
 #360781  by adu1982

Dunno if I am right.....maybe the windshield on the 01 lhs was better than the Ms.....or is it the same pn number?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
 #360797  by LUNAT1C

I would question the wax's ability to stick to the glass over time. I have Rain-X on both my Special and my Jeep with good effect. I also have a can of Aquapel given to me by the glass shop that replaced the windshield on my Journey a year ago. So far I like it and plan to stick with it.
 #360820  by 00R/T

I use Pinnacle GlassCoat. Awesome stuff.
 #360824  by E-Rock W

Rain X also has a wind shield washer fluid. It has the same effect as Rain X without the work.
 #360825  by beespecial

E-Rock W wrote:Rain X also has a wind shield washer fluid. It has the same effect as Rain X without the work.
Yep. Good stuff. I use that too.
 #360829  by mopar39426ml

E-Rock W wrote:Rain X also has a wind shield washer fluid. It has the same effect as Rain X without the work.
Both is my favorite combo.
The spray or liquid applied, then the washer fluid keeps me from having to re-apply often.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
 #361445  by skinnyg

I have been using spray wax on the outside of all my windows for years now, no ill effects, water beads up and rolls off like Rain X. Just use your favorite brand spray wax/quick detailer, whatever you want to call it, spray it on your glass same time as spraying it on your body after washing your car

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
 #361446  by skinnyg

This stuff does work great, just word of caution, we got warnings/TSBs from about every vehicle manufacturer that it can clog the washer pump and destroy it, if a pump does go bad on a new car with warranty and anything but blue is in the tank they won't cover it under warranty

#362492  by hbk73

I buffed my glass on the Pacifica with griots garage glass polish and 3 inch rayon glass polishing pads on the meguiars mt300 da. I'm very happy with the results. My main problem was water spots. In the picture the I put tape down the middle of the back door glass and buffed the left side only.

ImageHosted on Fotki
 #362536  by LUNAT1C

skinnyg wrote:
This stuff does work great, just word of caution, we got warnings/TSBs from about every vehicle manufacturer that it can clog the washer pump and destroy it, if a pump does go bad on a new car with warranty and anything but blue is in the tank they won't cover it under warranty

This is true. It ruined the pump on my Journey with 13,000 miles on it, first tank of RainX washer fluid. Replaced under warranty and I switched back to the cheap stuff for the Journey and the Wrangler. Not chancing it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk