• 1999 300M ATC Fan Speed Controller Fan won't blow

• Repair Questions and Answers.
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Repair Questions and Answers.

Moderator: Moderators

#379283  by ss427isaudio1
 June 11th, 2019, 12:59 pm
First the symptoms leading up to my problem.

When I originally got the car about 6 months ago, in the dead of winter, the rotary fan speed knob would sometimes take a "twist or two" to get the fan to run at the set speed. Summer came and same problem with A/C.

Went to work with A/C on and fan running. Came out and no blow. Twisted the knob many times, banged on the dash, all the other tricks....no blow. Took head out of dash, blew little fan clean, inspected same and no apparent corrosion or other bugs. Ran diagnostic self test and no error codes. Took out Blower Resistor Module, looked kinda wonky and dirty, corroded and old. Applied 12 volts to fan...fan ran fine. Replaced BRM and still no fan. My thought is the little black module that the Fan Speed Control Knob attaches to on the PCB in the "Head Unit" is bad. When I had the Head Unit out, I noticed that the knob is what I would call a "limitless range" control. It will go and go and go in any direction limitlessly. Is this normal? Is this part available? I have many years of PCB work and am not afraid to replace it. I have not done a "reset" since replacing the BRM. Any suggestions please. Thanks...Dale
 #379304  by M-Pressive
 June 12th, 2019, 1:15 pm
My guess is the ATC. I don't think the knob is supposed to spin all the way around.

You can pick them up on eBay or sometimes members have them for sale here.
ss427isaudio1 liked this
 #379306  by remi
 June 12th, 2019, 1:43 pm
M-Pressive wrote: June 12th, 2019, 1:15 pm My guess is the ATC. I don't think the knob is supposed to spin all the way around.
Actually it does ;) At least mine does, with the knob removed you can spin the shaft all the way around. I guess this is a rotary encoder.

Dale, I'm backing Keith on the ATC...Maybe try another one from the yard or get one from someone here.
ss427isaudio1 liked this
 #379318  by remi
 June 13th, 2019, 2:49 am
Not sure... The ATC drives the blower fan by the blower motor resistor (which is not a resistor on automatic AC by the way, but whatever ;)), blower motor resistor is driven by the BCM which itself is being driven by the ATC... Send a PM to John, try the most simple thing then go from there.
ss427isaudio1 liked this
 #379562  by ss427isaudio1
 June 27th, 2019, 11:45 am
OK...so far I have replaced the Blower Motor Resistor with a new one, just replaced the ATC with a tested and working ATC and the dam fan still won't blow. No error codes on the self diagnostic with both ATC's. Got a new OBDII test unit and ran it...no codes anywhere on anything. Put 12 volts straight to the blower motor and it runs and with the ATC set to Recirc/Lo Temp I get cold air, so I know it's not low on freon....I'm about at my wit's end. Any suggestions? I'm about ready to just hot wire 12V to the blower motor with an inline switch...it's hot here.... Thanks!!
 #379563  by hrmwrm
 June 27th, 2019, 2:44 pm
the atc does not provide power. it provides a varying ground to control speed through the bcm.
make sure you have power and ground at the appropriate terminals at the resistor plug.
black ground, dark green power.
ss427isaudio1 liked this