• Proactive Maintenance and Repairs to keep our cars safe to drive

• General Discussions about the 300M and other LHs
Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M and other LHs

Moderator: Moderators

#373992  by EasyRider300M

Definition of proactive
Acting in anticipation of future problems, needs, or changes
"Proactive behavior involves acting in advance of a future situation, rather than just reacting. It means taking control and making things happen rather than just adjusting to a situation or waiting for something to happen. "

One of our members' son , Ja300mes, recently was involved in a major rear end collision due to failing brakes. Luckily no one was injured. I almost lost control of my car when a front strut slammed down onto the tire due to major rusting. Another member noticed a strong smell of gas from a leaking gas line that could have caused a major engine fire if not promptly addressed.

As our cars age, we need to be proactive in maintaining/repairing our cars. Periodic inspection of brake lines, power steering lines, gas tank straps, struts, gas lines, exhaust system, battery condition, etc is very important. If deterioration is noticed, proactively performing repairs before total failure can prevent a possible catastrophic event such as loss of vehicle control resulting in an accident and potential injury, or the inconvenience of being stranded on the side of the road. Be aware of changes in handling, unusual rattles, noises, or smells and address the cause proactively.

We as a group do not want to see any of our fellow members injured from mechanical failures that timely repairs could prevent. Our club forum is a valuable asset to aid members in recognizing and remedying problem areas or our cars. As many of us soon drive the long journey to Carlisle PA to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the LH car models and as our cars continue to age and rack up the miles, preventative maintenance and repairs are of the utmost importance.

Drive Safely and Be Proactive in maintaining your cars
 #374005  by In-trepid

Agreed. I have thought about putting together an inspection list to use on a periodic basis for checking each of my cars. I just haven't done it yet, but will solicit input from the group when I do. You hit a number of the major ones that everyone should be checking. Over the past couple of years, I have tried to get all of my cars in good mechanical shape a little at a time by proactively replacing some of these parts. It is a never ending process for now, but I'm hoping that it saves breakdowns in the end. The plus factor is that I'm not afraid to get in my car at any time and drive a couple thousand miles. Many of the things are fairly low cost and easy to accomplish with minor difficulty. Just to reiterate your point, being safe is what it is all about!
 #374022  by Mottman

I cant agree more.

Right now I am frantically trying to nail down this weird hot stalling issue
that DARKFIRE has going on. I dont trust the car to go far distances at this time.
 #382585  by Katzchen78

I love the idea of having an inspection list to refer to. I have come to find that our cars are prone to certain issues that I would not have thought of. I am sure most of you all know basically what to look out for, but it would be a huge help to newbies like myself!
 #382619  by LUNAT1C

I always do an annual inspection on the car in the Spring that covers at a minimum checking for odd play in the suspension and steering, inspecting the brakes for signs of odd wear, and checking the underbody for new or worsening rust. Specifically the brake lines. Used to check the gas tank straps, but I replaced them last summer. All done while it’s on 4 jack stands for the annual tire rotation. I also keep a sheet of cardboard under it to keep an eye out for any leaks. Also giving the engine bad a general look-see with a flashlight to check for signs of leaks anywhere and check condition of the belts and pulley’s.

I could go a step further by pulling one or two plugs to check for odd wear, and break out the voltmeter to check the condition of the battery and alternator, but I’ve never found that to be necessary. Otherwise, just check the bulbs too. I’m aware that I have a few bulbs between the ATC and EVIC to change out in a few months.
 #382631  by FIREM

Here you go : viewtopic.php?f=122&t=23681&start=15
Thread was started years ago and has grown as our cars age