Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • 6 DVD changer + RB3

• Discuss Custom or Factory Audio Systems
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Discuss Custom or Factory Audio Systems

Moderator: Moderators

#390900  by Adrian63

Is the 6 DVD changer 2004 model from Grand Voyager compatible with a 2005?
It came with all the wires and connectors but the main 16 pin one splits in 2 mains ...one with a 10 pin that fits in the RB3 (but no idea if its wired correctly ) and another set of grey wires with 2 connectors . I'm asking here because I don't want to fry my RB3 or dvd unit.

Oh and will the audio LR work to use it as a aux input with a jack or do I need to use the other connector? Is this crap even plug and play .I know it won't fit right ,that's not a problem....I don't want to fry the damn units or worse ,burn the car or get one of those nasty drains that kill the battery over night.

Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #390902  by In-trepid

The other two connectors are 12V and ground. They are important as the DVD unit will cycle every time that the vehicle is started if it doesn't have a constant 12V at all times. I believe it was used in the vans to be able to watch DVDs with the van off, or at least allow for a proper shutdown of the player when the ignition switch is shut off. The other plug is just a loop of the power plug used to supply power to other devices in the van,
Adrian63 liked this
 #390904  by Adrian63

In-trepid wrote: May 25th, 2022, 9:32 am The other two connectors are 12V and ground. They are important as the DVD unit will cycle every time that the vehicle is started if it doesn't have a constant 12V at all times. I believe it was used in the vans to be able to watch DVDs with the van off, or at least allow for a proper shutdown of the player when the ignition switch is shut off. The other plug is just a loop of the power plug used to supply power to other devices in the van,
Oh so the 10pin connector that goes in the RB3 is ok ,its wired/pinned correctly ? What happens if I don't add power and ground? I know it will start from DVD 1 each time but other than that is there a problem? Is this enough for me to use an AUX cable? Also what DVDs can I use with this? I'm not talking about video ,I'm talking about music...what type of files can I add on the dvd's.....6 DVD's with mp3 would be awesome...is that even possible? :mrgreen:

I'm affraid if I add 12v constant it will drain the damn battery. Do you know which wire is the ground...both are grey lol

Hope the dvd changer will light up when I turn on the headlights ,last time I changed to RB3 the harness didn't have a pin for the PCI Bus what whatever is called and the radio was not lighting up during the night.

EDIT: Nope it ain't working. It seems the unit powers up not from the RB3 connector . I have to splice wires :(
 #390905  by LUNAT1C

Most folks grab power and ground from the cigarette lighter in the center stack, and shift the position of the fuse for that outlet over so it provides constant power instead of key-on power. I forget which fuse it is, been 10 years since I needed to look at it (went Kenwood double din and mothballed my RB1), but a quick search will tell you.

I didn't have power drain issues related to that when I had a 6-dvd together with an RB1. I had power drain issues when I used the monitor dongle from my insurance company to try and lower my rate, and the unit would kill my battery because I didn't drive the car enough. My insurance would let me know my battery was dead when they emailed me and said they weren't receiving data from that unit. How kind. I mailed it back and gave up on that idea... but I digress.

I don't how the RB3 is wired but I sincerely doubt it's any different from the RB1 and any other US-spec radio. Any issues you might have from using a 2004+ radio in a 1999 will probably also be present with the DVD changer.
Adrian63 liked this
 #390906  by Adrian63

LUNAT1C wrote: May 25th, 2022, 1:26 pm Most folks grab power and ground from the cigarette lighter in the center stack, and shift the position of the fuse for that outlet over so it provides constant power instead of key-on power. I forget which fuse it is, been 10 years since I needed to look at it (went Kenwood double din and mothballed my RB1), but a quick search will tell you.

I didn't have power drain issues related to that when I had a 6-dvd together with an RB1. I had power drain issues when I used the monitor dongle from my insurance company to try and lower my rate, and the unit would kill my battery because I didn't drive the car enough. My insurance would let me know my battery was dead when they emailed me and said they weren't receiving data from that unit. How kind. I mailed it back and gave up on that idea... but I digress.

I don't how the RB3 is wired but I sincerely doubt it's any different from the RB1 and any other US-spec radio. Any issues you might have from using a 2004+ radio in a 1999 will probably also be present with the DVD changer.
Thing is with only the 10 pin connector it just doesn't work at all. Looking at the diagrams the DVD changer and RB3 look different. I sure hope I won't have to repin this thing and arrange wires to fit the RB3 :(
 #390907  by LUNAT1C

Has the DVD changer worked for you previously? It's possible the RB3 has no way of powering a disc changer like US radios do (I wouldn't know), and it's possible the DVD changer is DOA. It's not uncommon for the disc portion of the changers to fail, which causes alternating flashing lights. You can test this by applying 12v and ground to the dedicated wires and see if the unit powers up at least.
Adrian63 liked this
 #390912  by Adrian63

LUNAT1C wrote: May 25th, 2022, 2:14 pm Has the DVD changer worked for you previously? It's possible the RB3 has no way of powering a disc changer like US radios do (I wouldn't know), and it's possible the DVD changer is DOA. It's not uncommon for the disc portion of the changers to fail, which causes alternating flashing lights. You can test this by applying 12v and ground to the dedicated wires and see if the unit powers up at least.
Its not even lighting up ,nothing ,no noise ,no light flash. I'm going to add power to BATT pin to see if I can get it to at least make a noise or flash.

EDIT: I put power through one of the wires that don't go in the RB3 and yes it lights up and I can hear it working :mrgreen: ...guess RB3 can't power up the dvd changer

EDIT2: Works great with power. I only have to get an RCA to jack to see if the aux works. Also wonder if it can read mp3 files from dvd's... :roll:
 #391025  by bbb123

Unlike the sat module the dvd draws too much current to rely on radio for power hence the 2 connectors in you photo that is where the dvd harness draws battery and ground by piggybacking into dash power plug connection

The other harness on photo is to send video and audio to overhead screen

The external audio and video on face of dvd work ok but only if receiving a signal so can cut out if there is a pause in sound

The 6 dvd cycles thru all 6 discs of it loses battery power and sitting this cycling is when changer mechanism typically fails so minimize events with loss of power to unit

Also only the ac and higher versions part numbers can play mp3 songs on cdr discs so much preferred over part numbers ending in aa or ab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk