Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • At what price of gas will you change your driving habits.

• Gotta Poll, post it here
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Gotta Poll, post it here

Moderator: Moderators

At what gas price will it have a major effect on your driving habits?

$3.00
12%
$3.50
4%
$4.00
21%
$4.50
6%
$5.00
15%
$6.00
5%
$7.00
5%
No matter how high gas prices go, I will not drastically change my driving habits.
33%
 #313675  by LUNAT1C

Actually I did that with my charger and improved city-ish driving mileage by about 1 avg. Low RPM, loads of coasting to anticipated stops, no speeding are key.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta
 #313700  by procid

When our local fuel prices reached 4,8 lithuanian litas for a liter (that would be $6,72 for a US gallon), I decided to install a bi-fuel system on my M. Now I run on LPG (liquified petrol gas), that is twice cheaper. I spent $300 on a DIY kit, and made everything by my self at my garage. Usually these systems cost $750 to $930 (including all the work). But when you do things with your own hands, you can save some money :) Now I don't worry about the european driving costs :D
 #313705  by LUNAT1C

If LPG was available here I would consider it. As it is, even diesel is uncommon.

#313710  by beespecial

LUNAT1C wrote:Actually I did that with my charger and improved city-ish driving mileage by about 1 avg. Low RPM, loads of coasting to anticipated stops, no speeding are key.

So, basically take all the fun out of driving and improve mileage by 1 mile per gallon. Meh, no thanks. I guess I'll pay it to actually enjoy driving my M.
 #313713  by LUNAT1C

beespecial wrote:
LUNAT1C wrote:Actually I did that with my charger and improved city-ish driving mileage by about 1 avg. Low RPM, loads of coasting to anticipated stops, no speeding are key.

So, basically take all the fun out of driving and improve mileage by 1 mile per gallon. Meh, no thanks. I guess I'll pay it to actually enjoy driving my M.
With as far as I commute it adds up. The traffic I drive in every day makes enjoying the car impossible. I could have as much fun in a Dart...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
 #313938  by uzsz

In Hungary is already 7,05 dollar pro Gallon.
But you know, is use my nice big car and spend more for fuel and less for service, + i feel it safetier like a A3 or Corsa C...
 #313955  by EasyRider300M

a few years ago, the price of a barrel of oil was about $140 and the price of a gallon of gas at the pump was about $4 per gallon. Now the price of a barrel of oil is about $103. The present price of a gallon of gas is about $3.75. It's pretty absurd that the price of a gallon is so high considering that a barrel of oil is about 25% less than a few years ago. A fair price of gas nowadays should be about $2.75 based on the price of a barrel of oil. Considering these facts, does anyone have any opinions why the price of gas is so high ?

#313956  by InfernoLime

^^ because we still will pay for it. And it would also be important to see if taxes have increased on the gas. I know that in Ontario about 35% of the price is tax.if that has gone up over time in your area that would play a factor.

But again, mostly because we still will pay for it.

The small cent-by-cent increases are tests to see if the increase in profit cover te loss of sales and they will continue to go up until they don't cover the losses
 #313974  by hrmwrm

Considering these facts, does anyone have any opinions why the price of gas is so high ?
cause the oil companies are making too little and have to be subsidized by the government.
and to get their money back, the government has to raise taxes on fuel.
so you get it double time without the lube.
you know, like those poor hard done by $1/2 billion /year ceo's.
 #314036  by Timbo

Greedy oil companies. Plain and simple
 #314045  by LUNAT1C

The oil companies don't make enough money, so they need to charge more to stay in the black. Nevermind the fact that they have highest profit margins in the world already.
 #314047  by 300maximilien

I never could understand how people can get mad at a company for making money.... It's laughable really. Who are you to say what is too much to charge?? The blame is on all of us consumers for buying the crap!!

Stop buying and watch the price come down. Find other ways to get where you want to go and watch the prices come down.

Don't blame companies for making money. They are a business...not the US government giving hand outs.....lol
 #314048  by LUNAT1C

Beans to you if you're perfectly fine with giving them more money for the same product with little change in their cost to provide it for you.
 #314051  by LUNAT1C

One of these days I want to look more into adapting engines for use with other fuels. The hard part will be getting those other fuels, since I'd have to produce myself. If only LPG or LNG were widely available.
 #314092  by Bill Putney

LUNAT1C wrote:...Nevermind the fact that they have highest profit margins in the world already.
9 to 11% profit margin is high? Who is telling you that? As I've said before, I'm not a fan of the oil companies, but I still have to be fair with the facts. Facts are facts whichever side of the argument you come down on.

What the people who unfairly cirticize the oil companies are always careful to do is *never* to mention "profit margins", because that means they automatically lose the argument because their profit margins are pretty normal. They only talk about their profits in dollars. The volume of their trading means more dollars, but what matters is profit margins. It's proportional. A company that does $200k/yr. in business is going to make 1 millionth of the *dollars* in profit that a company that does $200B/yr. makes, yet the *profit margin* is the same. There is risk, and that has to be rewarded - proportionally.

Ask about the taxes that are arbitrarily tacked on with no justification other than for social engineering and that politicians do it because they can.