Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Painted calipers?

• Wanna Shave your Door Handles, customize emblems?
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Wanna Shave your Door Handles, customize emblems?

Moderator: Moderators

#112711  by Vader-1

I am planning on painting my brake calipers red with the Dupli-color caliper kit and am wondering if anyone else has done so, with that kit or another and do you have any pics? or do you have any tips... Thanks!

#112712  by glennbp

Yes, many of us have painted our calipers including me. No real tips; just follow the directions on the package. Best advice I can give you is to clean your calipers with a good brake cleaner and degreaser and when you think they are really clean, clean them some more! Use a wire brush several times and you will have no problems painting. It's fun and easy!
:D

#112720  by tinman

glennbp wrote:Yes, many of us have painted our calipers including me. No real tips; just follow the directions on the package. Best advice I can give you is to clean your calipers with a good brake cleaner and degreaser and when you think they are really clean, clean them some more! Use a wire brush several times and you will have no problems painting. It's fun and easy! :D
Right on, my brother! :fro

#112806  by Vader-1

Here are a few pictures of the calipers that I painted last night. They really look great and add a lot to the look of the car (and VERY EASY to do). Anyone know what to do about the rust looking stuff where the tires mount? It looks terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#112808  by glennbp

About the only thing you can do is have them powder coated or plated. It's a PIA because you need to take the hub assembly apart completely to do that. I'm not sure, but someone here may have had it done, but I forget who.

#112861  by Antigini

I like the way calipers look when they're painted. Make sure to post some pics.

#112987  by Ruffy

I liked the duplicolor kit

It comes with enough paint to do like 100 calipers. So if need be you can easly do a touchup
 #283605  by InfernoLime

I had to sand off the green left on the rotors, but happy with how it turned out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #283608  by FIREM

Yeah but you need to do the rotor hubs too....
 #283611  by InfernoLime

FIREM wrote:Yeah but you need to do the rotor hubs too....
I considered the hub, but I was afraid that because it wasn't the same colour as the car it would look too "in your face". If its the same colour as the car it gives it a flow.

also, for the green that was dupli-colour high heat engine enamel and then several layers of clear coat. Cleaned the callipers but the can said to skip the primer when its direct metal. I painted my engine green as well and had to use primer on that.

Also interesting to note that if you just dive right into it like I did, you will have to repaint the back of any new brake pads you put on to maintain the look. The blue and red ones don't have the pad painted.
 #283612  by FIREM

So I guess you theme is Christmas :lol: Green & Red
 #283621  by InfernoLime

Your about the 78th person to say that :D but ya I like how it turned out but it defiantly has that feel. In retrospect yellow, even for the engine would have looked very good.

Now I need another M to try out the yellow..... PM if you want to donate one for science!! :)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ccfefb
 #283638  by Tarheel

DSC03018-vi.jpg
Painted with Dupi-Color 2 1/2 years ago, still look great! :) Clean, clean and then clean again before you paint.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #283640  by 300maximilien

Green is an interesting color choice....nice work. I personally would have left the pads alone. When I did mine I chose to do the calipers, hubs and the outer edge of the rotors.

#283652  by Maximus

You need to take the calipers off the car and get them sand blasted, Then paint and rebuild them to make it perfect and last.

Take the piston out, clean up the bore with a bore tool, put in a new piston boot, new slide sleeves, it will last for a long time.
 #353657  by Shawn1301

How would a copper engine paint hold up?
 #353662  by Sneke_Eyez

Engine paint would work fine, I used engine paint on the calipers of my 2001 Intrepid SE when I owned it.

You can also use plasti-dip - my calipers on my Special are plasti-dipped and they look great.
 #353670  by Shawn1301

Plasti-dip doesn't melt? I'm not sure what heat rating it has. Break fluid boils at like 401*F so I imagine it's doesn't have to be super high