Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Spark plug trivia

• Get your T-25 torx wrench and come on in!
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Get your T-25 torx wrench and come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

#144308  by GMF

Putting a fresh set of Champion plugs in my 300M this morning made me think of some interesting trivia:

For a total of 100 points:

(1) Name the brand of plugs that were OEM in Chrysler products before Chrysler made the switch to Champion. (50 points)

(2) What year did the switch take place? (25 points)

(3) What was the motive behind the switch? (25 points)

No fair using Google to find the answers. Image
 #146075  by Arved

I give up. Please, do tell!

#146077  by JoeKD

I thought champs were the only ones used before the switch to NGK's for the specials? :wtf

#146079  by Arved

joekd wrote:I thought champs were the only ones used before the switch to NGK's for the specials? :wtf
As far as the 300M, I think you're right. I think the trivia question is in regards to Chrysler as a whole switching to Champion, from something else. I cheated, and went on-line, but never found anything about Chrysler switching supplier. I did find plenty of references to the use of Champion plugs on the old Slant 6 engine, so Champion has been a supplier to Chrysler for over 40 years.

I was tempted to joke about Motorcraft being a supplier until they discovered they were owned by Ford. On a more serious note, Delco was merged with United Motors Company (a predecessor of GM) in 1919, so that merger may have soured Chrysler on the Delco brand, although I can find no information about Chrysler suppliers at that time.

Allpar is a treasure trove of information and Chrysler history, but I couldn't find any information on Chrysler changing spark plug suppliers on that site.

#146089  by Scott1094

My GUESS would be Autolite as the plug
Maybe 1950's
No clue but perhaps a competition issue

Scott
 #146090  by GMF

GMF wrote:Putting a fresh set of Champion plugs in my 300M this morning made me think of some interesting trivia:

For a total of 100 points:

(1) Name the brand of plugs that were OEM in Chrysler products before Chrysler made the switch to Champion. (50 points)

(2) What year did the switch take place? (25 points)

(3) What was the motive behind the switch? (25 points)
Sorry for taking so long to get back to this.

Answers:

(1) Autolite
(2) 1961
(3) Ford purchased Autolite.

And for the ultimate in automotive irony, Champion was the OEM plug in Fords prior to Ford's purchase of Autolite.
 #146109  by Arved

Interesting. Autolite is currently a Honeywell company. Did Ford divest itself of the Autolite brand when it came up with the Motorcraft brand?

I wasn't too far off with Motorcraft after all! :headbang
 #146121  by GMF

Arved wrote:Interesting. Autolite is currently a Honeywell company. Did Ford divest itself of the Autolite brand when it came up with the Motorcraft brand?
Because of its purchase of Autolite, Ford found itself embroiled in an antitrust suit, which they lost. The Supreme Court ordered Ford to divest itself not only of the Autolite name, but the manufacturing plant as well. In addition, they injoined Ford from producing spark plugs for ten years, required Ford to purchase at least 50% of their OEM plugs from the divested plant under the Autolite name, and prohibited Ford from using its own trade name on plugs for five years. When Ford was able to produce plugs again under their own name, Motorcraft plugs came on the scene.

United States v Ford Motor Company.
 #146128  by Bill Putney

Arved wrote:Interesting. Autolite is currently a Honeywell company...
They were Allied Signal, or is that part of Honeywell?
 #146184  by Arved

Bill Putney wrote:
Arved wrote:Interesting. Autolite is currently a Honeywell company...
They were Allied Signal, or is that part of Honeywell?
Honeywell has many brands that consumers may recognize. Some of the most recognizable products are its line of home thermostats, particularly the iconic round type, and automotive products sold under the names of Prestone, Fram, and Autolite.
Wikipedia
AlliedSignal was an aerospace, automotive and engineering company that acquired and merged with Honeywell for $15Bn in 1999, after which the new group adopted the Honeywell name.

AlliedSignal was created through a 1985 merger of Allied Chemical & Dye Corporation and Signal Oil, the company renamed to AlliedSignal on September 19, 1985[1]. The company's involvement in aerospace stems from a previous merger between Signal Oil and the Garrett Corporation in 1968. After that merger, aviation became the company's largest division.

In 1999. AlliedSignal acquired Honeywell and took its more-recognizable name. The acquisition was meant as a final triumphant move to cap off a long career by AlliedSignal's CEO, Larry Bossidy.

As of 2006, its automotive products include Fram Filters, Autolite Spark Plugs and Prestone Anti-Freeze. Both Fram and Autolite were AlliedSignal brands since 1973, purchased from other companies by Garrett's Bendix division. The Prestone brand was acquired in the late 1990s.
Wikipedia

I love Wikipedia!

#146198  by Bill Putney

Thanks, Arved!