Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • I have never done this before

• Yes some people clean their engine, some don't. You know who you are. :)
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Yes some people clean their engine, some don't. You know who you are. :)

Moderator: Moderators

#144754  by ezgoing2406

Ok I never cleaned any car engine I have ever owned. What is the best way to clean are engine without having any problems in the long run. I just want this to look like new again. And with this going to the body shop next month to be repainted why not get the engine clean first. All info would be great. thanks

#144767  by Bill Putney

I would leave it dirty and clean it afterwards. It's going to get dusty during the paint work, so you'll just have to clean it again. Also, any overspray will come right off if you leave the existing dirt on there and clean it afterwards - you clean it now, and any overspray will be harder to deal with. Wait 'til afterwards and clean it well one time and one time only.

#144768  by velobard

I agree with Bill. Aside from overspray, your engine is likely to gather dust, etc, while it's in the bodyshop. Wait until after.

#144771  by Bill Putney

Dave is the expert on this question. :)

#144801  by ezgoing2406

Dave ok I wait till after the paint job then whats the best way to do this cleaning. I am very nerves about cleaning this engine. (lol) Because I have never done tis before.

#144826  by velobard

What he's saying is I'm the expert on having my car in the body shop. 2006 was not kind to my LHS, several times over. Fortunately, the majority of it was minor, like dings from a tree branch coming down in a storm.

As for cleaning the engine, it depends on what level you want to take it to. Plan on having a lot of clean rags or cheap microfibers handy and find a nice engine dressing. CD2 works well if you can still find it. For the plastic under the hood, most any kind of vinyl or tire dressing should do the job, even Armor All (and I'm not usually a fan of that stuff outside of dressing my wheel wells.)

#144828  by ezgoing2406

thanks for the input. I guess it time to get dirty then. Thanks for the help. And sorry you had bad luck with your body shop people.

#144842  by velobard

Mostly I had bad luck with just having the need for a body shop so many times last year. I did have to go rounds a couple times with the first shop I went to, but I do have a good shop to go to now for any future needs.

Someplace around here I still have pictures of what hail dents look like on 2-day old paint, LOL.

#144849  by Shadowvox6

Usually, I find that a good trip to the DIY car washes keep it clean for me.
I will keep the car running, and spray it off with some high pressure spray.
First with soap, then a rinse. If it is exceptionally dirty, I will hit it with some Simple Green. If it is really bad, I will get the heavy duty chemicals for Engine Cleaning....I had to do that with BluBallz when I got it, now a good regular spray will be sufficient.

I don't do this more than 3-4 times a year....usually once a quarter will suffice.

#144850  by EasyRider300M

Tom, are you protecting any areas of the engine form the water spray? I always was nervous about spaying the engine . When I have cleaned the engine, I just wipe it down with cleaner and a rag and then use tire shine.

#144852  by Shadowvox6

EasyRider300M wrote:Tom, are you protecting any areas of the engine form the water spray? I always was nervous about spaying the engine . When I have cleaned the engine, I just wipe it down with cleaner and a rag and then use tire shine.
Nope...
I just spray it...
As long as the motor is running, and you take it out and drive it afterwards...it is ok.
Or at least, that has been my experience.

#144857  by Ledgic_13

i couldn't do that, id be to afraid i would accidentally hit the alternator

#144858  by Bill Putney

EasyRider300M wrote:...I always was nervous about spaying the engine . When I have cleaned the engine, I just wipe it down with cleaner and a rag and then use tire shine.
FWIW - there are two areas that would concern me:
(1) Brake booster - the push rod that actuates the master cylinder from the booster is *very* prone to *heavy* scale rusting. My guess is that under normal conditions, it would not rust, but if you spray the engine compartment indescriminately, water gets into the unsealed but otherwise captive area of inteface between the booster and master cylinder. When I replaced my booster, and saw that push rod, I seriusly wondered how it did not buckle from the seriously reduced diameter that had been converted to scale rust.
(2) Shifter cable - If you compare the original design to the new one, the old one is designed such that water would be directed into and trapped between the sheath and the cable. New one is sealed against that happening. Again - I wonder if those of us who had problems had them because we or a previous owner washed the engine down (rather than moisture getting in there from normal usage). Not sure when the new cable design made it into production vehicles.

I also would worry about direct spray into the alternator.

Just my opionions...

#144866  by Antigini

This brings me back to the time when I decided my engine bay was so ugly. I started from this....

To this....

Anyway, not to toot my own horn or anything, but I didn't really remove anything so I think it came out pretty damn good for having just done what my little hands could reach.

I bought Royal Purple industrial strength degreaser, microfiber towels and if I were you, i'd add latex gloves in. I learned this one the hard way. I was afraid if I powerwashed or even just used a regular water hose water would find its way into something, so everything was done by hand. I used the degreaser several times over everything because the engine bay had never been cleaned before me(97k miles). After that, I used water with different towels. As for the "shiny" manifold, I actually used Meguiar's leather wipes. In my experience it never dried anything out, and I also used them on the mirrors too. It all looked great. After that, once a week i'd get a bucket of water and a couple clean towels and just go over everything for about an hour or two.

Hope this helps.

#144873  by Bill Putney

Good job, Lisa! I envy you guys who do that. Unfortunately I work in a mining area - it's a losing battle for me to do that sort of thing.

#144878  by Antigini

Bill Putney wrote:Good job, Lisa! I envy you guys who do that. Unfortunately I work in a mining area - it's a losing battle for me to do that sort of thing.

Yeah, living in a very dusty city never helps either. I'm sure I would have only done it once every two weeks or so if I wasn't surrounded by dirt.

#144885  by Shadowvox6

With the weatherpak style of connectors we have under the hood of our cars, getting them wet isn't a big deal. These style of connectors resist water. They are a sealed connection. Won't damage them, or compromise the electrical connection within them.

As far as getting items wet, you try to avoid direct spray on the alternator, or an open coned filter, but instead you concentrate on the block. The alternator can handle getting wet though, they have to be designed to handle working under the hood, where water, and moisture is a constant risk.

As long as the car is running, there isn't usually an issue. 3-4 minutes of spray on the block won't hurt. With coolant circulating through the block, it won't crack.

I have been doing this to cars for years, and trust me...I haven't had an issue. Not since I have sprayed an engine with a bad distributor cap, and killed the car have I had an issue!!

#145013  by ezgoing2406

K you guys build me up to do this thanks. For all your help

#147311  by Arved

shadowvox6 wrote: As long as the car is running, there isn't usually an issue. 3-4 minutes of spray on the block won't hurt. With coolant circulating through the block, it won't crack.
But exhaust manifolds aren't water cooled. No problems with cracked manifolds???