Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Milk in the trunk

• Get a vacuum and some Armor-All Leather Wipes. What else do you need?
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Get a vacuum and some Armor-All Leather Wipes. What else do you need?

Moderator: Moderators

#165626  by 300Spartan

I accidentally spilled milk in my trunk. Probably about a cup's worth. What an awful, awful messs. I did my best to soak it up, but it's July, and about 3 days later the cabin and trunk smelled so bad you can barely stand to be in the car. I tried Resolve carpet cleaner and Turtle's Wax Oxy interior cleaner. I also sprayed it with Oxy Clean. It's helped, but it still stinks. Any suggestions?

#165638  by JoeKD

This happened to a friend of mine a while back

Only way to get rid of it completely was to remove the trunk carpet and liner, clean then both outside of the vehicle and let them air dry

While they are out you will want to clean the trunk floor metal as well

#165642  by tinman

I agree with Joekd. Carpet cleaner won't do it. Remove it from the trunk and give it a good wet saturation using a hose with cleanser or detergent should do it with air drying outside the vehicle.

#165654  by 300maximilien

Four Words......Little Green Cleaning Machine!

#165705  by 300Spartan

much appreciated guys.

#165897  by 02SpecialM

I have run into this problem myself in the past and one of the best ways to get rid of the smell of the milk is to sprinkle coffee grounds on the area effected and leave it for about a week. Then vacuum them out and the smell of milk seems to disappear as well. Cheap fix.......

#165904  by velobard

tinman wrote:I agree with Joekd. Carpet cleaner won't do it. Remove it from the trunk and give it a good wet saturation using a hose with cleanser or detergent should do it with air drying outside the vehicle.
If you go this route, go over it with a Shop Vac, then air dry.
 #244960  by isrb710

My kids spilled milk in our van numerous times when they were little. The smell is B-A-D. I wiped if up IF I knew about it and could find it. Sometimes you just find out a few days later! Removing the carpet to clean it wasn't worth the effort. Anyway, the smell eventually went away by leaving the windows cracked a quarter inch. It's been 12 or 13 years since this happened. I know we used a carpet cleaner on it, but I don't remember if that got rid of ALL the smell.
 #244967  by Craig300

febreeze
 #245005  by 300maximilien

I was expecting another kind of trunk....a little disappointed!
 #245013  by Derrick300M

Holy 3 year thread bump Batman! :mrgreen: