Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Engine Cleaning, The WOMAN way :P

• Yes some people clean their engine, some don't. You know who you are. :)
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Yes some people clean their engine, some don't. You know who you are. :)

Moderator: Moderators

#180323  by nikkie_divine

So, before going to pick up the other half at the airport, I'm cleaning the whole car top to bottom, and after further consideration, its time to clean under that hood!! HOWEVER... being the paranoid woman-type that I am, I am going to take care of it with soap and water, and perhaps a little degreaser, and NO pressure spray involved....

I shall post pics of the results :P See if I can put my non existent domestic skills to work!

#180340  by Bill Putney

Keep any chemicals off the belts (plain water is OK), and avoid direct spray into the alternator.

#180341  by nikkie_divine

Thanks for the advice Bill!! I shall definitely be very careful... we all know how paranoid I am lol
 #180357  by Shadowvox6

nikkie_divine wrote:So, before going to pick up the other half at the airport, I'm cleaning the whole car top to bottom, and after further consideration, its time to clean under that hood!! HOWEVER... being the paranoid woman-type that I am, I am going to take care of it with soap and water, and perhaps a little degreaser, and NO pressure spray involved....

I shall post pics of the results :P See if I can put my non existent domestic skills to work!
The other half..I noticed you didn't say better half??

#180361  by nikkie_divine

LOL! Yes I just noticed that too....

Freudian slip??

#180636  by Bill Putney

nikkie_divine wrote:Thanks for the advice Bill!! I shall definitely be very careful... we all know how paranoid I am lol
You're welcome.

The last part of your thread title reminds me of a funny story that my cousin tells on herself: As with many couples, her husband is the one who routinely mows the lawn. He had to go out of town on business for a couple of weeks one time in the summer, so, rather than hire someone to cut the grass, she decided to learn by doing - after all she'd seen it done many times - how hard could it be.

Their lawn was not huge, so they had only a push mower. She got the mower started without any problems. She'd been at it for quite some time, and while she was cutting around a tree, a next door neighbor comes over and taps her on the shoulder and says "Anne - it's a lawn mower - not a vacuum cleaner!" (think about it - it will hit you)

#180650  by Jason

You like these results Nikkie???

...what do u think???

#180669  by 300maximilien

Jason...I just thought of something you could do for me at Tom's! :shock:

#180671  by Jason

300maximilien wrote:Jason...I just thought of something you could do for me at Tom's! :shock:
For you Craig, I'd be more then happy to do this for you!

#180680  by 300man86

Do not put any type of silicone dressing on the engine. Silicone is flammable even though it may look nice. Only use a water based dressing.

Soap and water is fine do use with a little degreaser/ If you have an air compressor around, use that to spray any remaining water in the engine bay. Have a can of belt dressing ready just in case. If you hear a missing sound in the engine, then you got some water near the spark plugs.

#180682  by 300man86

[quote="Jason"]You like these results Nikkie???

What the heck did you use on the engine bay? The engine looks like its still wet from washing it.

#180685  by Jason

300man86 wrote:
Jason wrote:You like these results Nikkie???

What the heck did you use on the engine bay? The engine looks like its still wet from washing it.
Trade Secrets my friend...Trade Secrets! lol j/k here u go:

http://300mclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17574

#180690  by Bill Putney

300man86 wrote:...then you got some water near distributor.
No distributor. :)

#180692  by 300man86

Nikki,

The only problem with applying a dressing to the engine bay is that dirt and dust tends to stick more. All you have to do every so often is just take a rag to it. You can apply more engine dressing if so desired.
Wear latex gloves if you do not want to get your hands slimy. I wear them.

I didn't know that silicone tire dressing were flammable until my friend took a lighter and sprayed the dressing in mid air. That made me change my mind immediately about applying silicone dressing to my engines.

If you like the wet look of Jason's, then go with his,
If you like the somewhat shiny look then go with mine.

#180693  by nikkie_divine

Haha well guys, they BOTH look great!! More than I'm probably going to accomplish, but right now, whats goin on under my hood is an EMBARASSMENT... at the very least I can clean it up even if it IS covered in electrical tape and crud :P

However Jason, I have to say, you've got my vote... shaBAM! Your whole car is just immaculately black and shiney inside and out, which is what I want to eventually accomplish... (Actually, im not all that sure my M is technically even BLACK lol)

Soooooo, sometime Saturday I'll post my results, but I wont post here, because I am going to do the entire car inside and out, and its about time I get some pics up in the members section, which is what I shall do!!!

I think thats what's gonna make cleaning him up so exciting, finally having some folks to show him off to who can appreciate his true beauty :)

#180721  by Jason

300man86 wrote:If you like the wet look of Jason's, then go with his,
If you like the somewhat shiny look then go with mine.
Actually it only looks "wet" in camera pictures...in person its SHINY!!! Ask any Member here whose seen my Engine in person (Treman, Tom, Brandon, Dennis, TFC)

#180722  by Jason

nikkie_divine wrote:However Jason, I have to say, you've got my vote... shaBAM! Your whole car is just immaculately black and shiney inside and out, which is what I want to eventually accomplish... (Actually, im not all that sure my M is technically even BLACK lol)
Why Thank You Nikkie :wink:

And just remember one thing using only soap & water WILL NOT make ur Engine shine like this....water doesn't shine like that....that's for sure! :twisted:

#180723  by nikkie_divine

I hear ya there! i might get a little adventurous after I'm done, its just so cold up here and everything under my hood looks so crappy and old, im scared of what would happen to it if I sprayed it down lol

Im betting the whole thing would just freeze and shatter.. then I'd be in a HUGE mess!! :roll:

#180724  by Jason

nikkie_divine wrote:I hear ya there! i might get a little adventurous after I'm done, its just so cold up here and everything under my hood looks so crappy and old, im scared of what would happen to it if I sprayed it down lol

Im betting the whole thing would just freeze and shatter.. then I'd be in a HUGE mess!! :roll:
I know exactly how u feel my Engine Bay area looks like absolute crap!!! But I can't do anything about it w/the weather being so cold and all :roll:

That's when u know u really Love ur car when u can't stand the sight on her (or him in ur case) being dirty! But Nikkie its just better to hold off until Spring...I know it hurts but ur not the only one feeling like this...

#180725  by nikkie_divine

indeed it is painful... im the idiot that goes and spends 20 dollars at the car wash only to drive it out of the bay and have the whole thing freeze instantly... dont need that happening to the workin's!! I'm still going to try and clean it up a little, but it won't be a clean sweep for sure.