Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • My method with Simple Green and CD2

• Yes some people clean their engine, some don't. You know who you are. :)
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Yes some people clean their engine, some don't. You know who you are. :)

Moderator: Moderators

#189946  by SPAD3

I cleaned my engine using only Simple Green Pro and a can of CD2.. plus a water hose.

This is the best before picture I have:

I first cleaned it twice with Simple green (My engine was filthy). Spray the whole engine and let sit for a a couple minutes. Then hose it off and turn the car on and let it run for 20-25 minutes. Repeat if engine is still grungy.

This was after the simple green:

I then waited till the next weekend to do CD2, I don't think you have to wait, I just like to be sure. I sprayed the entire engine with the stuff, everthing except the exposed filters, I covered those. It also says not to let the stuff get on your belts.... I did and it seems ok, I did wipe it off though. After covering the engine, follow the directions and let sit w/ hood open for 20mins. I then shut the hood and the car run for 30min, checking periodically for unusual sounds and the sort.

This is what I came out with..... very happy!!!!!

I also have a pic of a few days later, but the batteries died in the cam. I will post it shortly, looks exactly the same as above.

#189950  by EasyRider300M

did you have to do much hand cleaning/wiping? Looks great.

#189951  by SPAD3

EasyRider300M wrote:did you have to do much hand cleaning/wiping? Looks great.
Nope, the only thing I hand wiped was the sight shield. I used some black magic on it. That simple green dissolved everything, I was quite happy.

#189953  by great white

Good gravy people!

Stop using simple green on the engine bay!

It's baaddd........

#189964  by grayslater

great white wrote:Good gravy people!

It's baaddd........
There is certainly more than one product of Simple Green. I certainly though would want to use the right product that is made for such a circumstance like the Extreme Simple Green® Motorsports Cleaner & Degreaser.

#189968  by SPAD3

It's baaddd........
This was my first attempt at cleaning an engine. Is there another product you recommend? This one just seemed the safest to me and others had recommended it. I used the Pro series Max Simple Green. Bottle says its Non toxic, biodegradable, non-abrasive, non flammable, alcohol and ammonia free. Just curious, but what is wrong with using SG?

#189982  by grayslater

KINGSPADE wrote:

It's baaddd........
This was my first attempt at cleaning an engine. Is there another product you recommend? This one just seemed the safest to me and others had recommended it. I used the Pro series Max Simple Green. Bottle says its Non toxic, biodegradable, non-abrasive, non flammable, alcohol and ammonia free. Just curious, but what is wrong with using SG?
Don't see anything wrong with that product according to the product description.

#189994  by EasyRider300M

proof is in the results--looks great to me :shock:

#190015  by great white

When simple green was released, we used it on aircraft parts and nacelles. Even cleaned turbines and other engine parts.

Shortly after, the use of simple green was verboten by message for use on any aircraft surfaces. It was found to be mildly corrosive and was pitting fine surfaces. It also left a residue (not visible) that attracted and held dirt, causing accelerated corrosion issues. The residue also cased linkages to clog up and stick.

I've also used it in the engine bay and noticed that it was causing some anodized and CAD plated surfaces to corrode prematurely that weren't before.

Since then, Simple Green has released specific aircraft cleaners instead of it's "one formula cleans all" policy.

It may be the same thing with the stuff you used. New formula that is.

But, we're still not allowed to use it on aircraft parts....and I'd rather not take the chance with my 04 Special....

Your choice if you continue to use it though.

Cheers

#190065  by SPAD3

that makes sense. so what product do you suggest i use to clean the engine? is thhere anything wrong with using the cd2 as a detailer?

#190145  by great white

KINGSPADE wrote:that makes sense. so what product do you suggest i use to clean the engine? is thhere anything wrong with using the cd2 as a detailer?
I've always used products that are specialized for engine cleaning/degreasing, found at most auto stores.

As to the engine dressing;

Dunno, no experience with it.

cheers

#190252  by WLDock

great white wrote:I've always used products that are specialized for engine cleaning/degreasing, found at most auto stores. As to the engine dressing; Dunno, no experience with it.
cheers
OK, you have me very confused now :?:

Myself, I have ALWAYS used an engine degreaser from the auto store and the stuff works wonders. However, as I sometimes run my engine when I clean or most times the engine is warm, the fumes are unbearable. I said to myself that the chemicals can't be good for the metals and rubber as well as my lungs so I thought I would try something else.

I have used regular simple green with great results and thought that it might be a better non-toxic product to use.

So, is the Simple Green PRO much different? Will have to check that out...

#190255  by great white

WLDock wrote:
great white wrote:I've always used products that are specialized for engine cleaning/degreasing, found at most auto stores. As to the engine dressing; Dunno, no experience with it.
cheers

Myself, I have ALWAYS used an engine degreaser from the auto store and the stuff works wonders. However, as I sometimes run my engine when I clean or most times the engine is warm, the fumes are unbearable. I said to myself that the chemicals can't be good for the metals and rubber as well as my lungs so I thought I would try something else.

I have used regular simple green with great results and thought that it might be a better non-toxic product to use.

So, is the Simple Green PRO much different? Will have to check that out...
You're assuming that chemicals harmful to you (flesh and bone) are harmful to the car (rubber and steel).

Not the way it works....

#190278  by SPAD3

WLDock wrote:
cheers

So, is the Simple Green PRO much different? Will have to check that
out...

I used the pro series MAX. Says to dilute 1:1 with water.... I didnt, just sprayed it everywhere. This was the first my engine had been cleaned ever (I think). Looks great now...