Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Is Simple Green safe to use??? You decide.

• Yes some people clean their engine, some don't. You know who you are. :)
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Yes some people clean their engine, some don't. You know who you are. :)

Moderator: Moderators

#326044  by Bill Putney

Mottman wrote:I tried useing Simple Green on rc car parts. Unless you work fast, rinse thoroughly, dry
and neutralize with WD-40 it will oxadize bare aluminum in about 10 - 15 miniutes. It also
attacks colored anodizing very quickly. Some hard anodizing seems to hold up a little better,
but I wouldnt risk it. It can also make some plastics and nylons very brittle...
I used Simple Green to wash my engine off years ago - had just put on brand new accessory belts. After rinsing and drying, the belts made awful noise when the engine was running - I had to replace both brand new belts.

People have posted that there is an "automotive" version of Simple Green that doesn't have those problems, but since that one episode, I just steer clear of it.
 #326048  by Mottman

Leave a piece of bare aluminum in Simple Green for 20 miniutes and see what
happens. Hope you like black oxidization.
 #326054  by Bill Putney

Mottman wrote:Leave a piece of bare aluminum in Simple Green for 20 minutes and see what
happens. Hope you like black oxidization.
Would that work on our A pillars trim pieces? :)
 #326058  by Mottman

I wouldnt try it on my car. maybe on a extra from a junker first.
 #326180  by Mottman

Bill do you mean the black pieces on each side of the windshield ?
Or do you mean the door window trim ?

The EVIL Sickness
 #326181  by Mottman

If you mean the black pieces between the side windows,try Dr Bronner's Castile Soap

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bronners-Magic ... B00120VWJ0

If you are trying to get the wax out of the texture of the windshield side trim pieces try
Wesson canola-oil
 #326230  by Bill Putney

Mottman wrote:Bill do you mean the black pieces on each side of the windshield ?
Or do you mean the door window trim ?

The EVIL Sickness
I was thinking about the windshield side pieces.

Mottman wrote:If you mean the black pieces between the side windows,try Dr Bronner's Castile Soap

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bronners-Magic ... B00120VWJ0

If you are trying to get the wax out of the texture of the windshield side trim pieces try
Wesson canola-oil
I'll have to try that. I was having success with Goof Off (actually the other brand of the similar stuff - I forget the name) and Mr. Clean pads.
 #326247  by Mottman

The Wesson Canola oil works really well. Scrub it in with a soft brush, let it soak for 20mins,
wash the car, done. It leaves the trim pieces a very nice flat / matte black. The Dr Bronner's
soap is real good on the side plates ( B-pillars ). Cut it 50 / 50 with water, and use it like a
polish. It does a good job at light polishing bare aluminum too.

The EVIL Sickness
 #360583  by Artdearinger

IF! The part is painted SG spice &Span will cause no problems. But, if the part is not painted. Road film. Is the only protection the material has. I have friends with garages cars that swear that cleaning is good. Unless clear coate, painted or oiled. You get rust and or corrosion.
Road film will protect a car for decades.
 #360584  by Artdearinger

IF! The part is painted SG or Spic &Span will cause no problems. But, if the part is not painted. Road film. Is the only protection the material has. I have friends with garaged cars that swear that cleaning is good. Unless clear coated, painted or oiled. You get rust and or corrosion.
Road film will protect a car for decades.