Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Shiney metal...

• Maybe we should have called this the Zaino forum
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Maybe we should have called this the Zaino forum

Moderator: Moderators

#206539  by LUNAT1C

So I detailed my car yesterday. That's right Ohio kids, again.

At the Ohio meet I had clay barred, SwirlX'd and polished the car. However since I kept taking long breaks between steps to walk around and chat, I only got as far as polishing 2/3 of the car, and didn't wax, before condensation formed on it. So yesterday, I SwirlX'd it again, finished polishing it, and then finally waxed it.

Products used:
Meguiar's Clar Bar kit
Meguiar's SwirlX
Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #7 polish
Meguiar's Gold Class car wax

I noticed a few areas that need a ScratchX treatment... next time. I also noticed how badly she needs to hit the body shop. Standard rock chips on the hood, as well as a few on the driver's fender, the roof between the moonroof and driver's door, and the driver's rear door behind the sail panel. Also got some spider-web cracks in the paint on the rear bumper cover under the tail light. Evidently the lady who owned it before me backed into something. Strangely enough, the front bumper is pristine. *shrugs*

Anyway, pictures:

Some of my garage tools:

Wait a second... the camera isn't pointed at the tools at all!

I went to see some friends at my old school near Atlantic City last weekend. Turns out there was a Harbor Freight in nearby Egg Harbor, and they were having a sale. I bought a switchblade, a socket set to keep in the car, a new carabiner, a torque wrench, and this little guy:

For $70. Not bad, I think. That guy up there helped A LOT for polishing and waxing the sides of the car and the bumper covers. Beats bending over or getting on your knees *waits for snickering to stop* any day!
 #206551  by 300maximilien

That's some nice work! Wow. Wish I had the patience and skills to shine my car up like that.
 #206569  by LUNAT1C

Each step should only take about 30-40 minutes. It was my first time doing the clay bar and SwirlX, so I took my time. SwirlX took me 1.5 hours :( I'll have to work on that. I should also mention that I did this all by hand. If you use a DA polisher like the Porter Cable 7424, it won't take very long and would be easier on your arms and back. If I had one, I would have done the SwirlX and polish with it.

Now I just need to find someone with a Costco membership near me. I used microfiber towels from a BJ's $10 40 pack. They just felt thin and cheap. The ones at Costco (I think 36 for $16) felt much more plush.
 #206574  by 85merk

looks amazing.
now i know what my car should look like :D
you need tint!!
 #206603  by LUNAT1C

hehe I need to graduate first, so I can take off my parking sticker.
 #206717  by Derrick300M

Awesome job! That's the same finish I go for as fire as tires are concerned. I dont like to really wet look. BTW are those stock wheels and what kind of tires?
 #206740  by EasyRider300M

What's LUNA stand for?
 #206822  by LUNAT1C

The name I gave the car. It's a reference to the Deep Sapphire Blue color, the moonroof (which I frequently have open to view the night sky) and the lunar cycle.

Bob Day would have you believe it stands for "LUNATIC". :x

He isn't completely wrong... :mrgreen:
 #207063  by miska_man

Is anyone else wondering what the u-shaped thing on the bottom front of the car is?
 #207067  by 300maximilien

miska_man wrote:Is anyone else wondering what the u-shaped thing on the bottom front of the car is?
That's his automatic pooper scooper!
Actually it his Hidable Plate Holder
 #207074  by 300MAZING

Looks almost as good as mine :lol:
The funny thing is i use the same products for mine but have switched to the NXT GENERATION TECH WAX 2.0.
I do mine by hand as well using microfiber towels i purchased from meguiars website,they are good quality but not that cheap. By the time i finish my arms and back have had enough, especially my low back but i also have a herniated disc L5-S1 :( , gotta love physical labor
 #209343  by avene1984

The car turned out really nice :)